- - - - - technology tech discovery

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Beebo

Beebo
  • Admin
  • 6,650 posts

Current mood: Busy Contributor

So wow!! it was under our noses this ENTIRE TIME!! Carbon has been found to be a Super Super Capacitor... CARBON!! the element that's found in EVERYTHING!

This could be the biggest technological breakthrough of the millenium... and it just happens to be found by accident.. just like Penicillin.

• - Mohammed, wise-man001, eve and 1 other like this

WgxUpZ6.png

eve

eve
  • Girls
  • 363 posts

Current mood: Goofy Contributor

salam

This is going to change everything!

Whoever has the patent to this is going to make some serious money.

And wow electric cars, phones, everything is going to charge faster and last longer!

It's more environment friendly.

This thing is too good to be true!  :cheesy:  

• Beebo and Abu Daoud like this
Posted Image

- Mohammed

- Mohammed
  • Members
  • 496 posts

Current mood:

Energy storage tech, particularly ultra/super capacitors, is one of the most important fields in science/engineering at the moment. However only a few years ago when I was doing EE I couldn't understand why there was seemingly such little interest and research going into the subject.I can't remember seeing a single grant being offered to this kind of research, you would expect the opposite...

Anyway this is definitely a breakthrough if they can rival or even exceed the energy density levels of what we use now, lithium ion batteries. They didn't do much of a compaison to li-ion which is unfortunate though. This could be the tech that finally lets us reduce charging times of consumer electronics from hours to mere minutes. Similarly it could have a big impact on electric vehicles, though I think all we will see is the bottleneck move from the energy storage (as it is now) to the infrastructure (power lines, energy production) so that's still some time away for that.

• Beebo likes this
A day spent without learning is a day wasted

Beebo

Beebo
  • Admin
  • 6,650 posts

Totally Mohammed, I was also very surprised when doing my EE the lacking for any type of research or grants given towards this type of technology even though it's the one technology that hasn't changed as drastically as everything else around it. In fact, many sciences are at a complete halt due to the fact that the energy storage technology is not up-to-par to everything else around it.

Let's just hope this doesn't get squashed by oil companies who will find it a great threat to the vehicle industry, because if it's as good as it's presented here, then we've definitely hit the jackpot!

writersfreedom

writersfreedom

The Beauty and The Prince

• Super Moderators
  • 5,369 posts

Current mood: Cheerful

:salaam:

Are you saying this will replace oil? Cuz if so then we are gonna lose a LOT of money!

~~~ Peace out ~~~

What can my enemies possibly do to me? My paradise is in my heart; wherever I go it goes with me, insepa­rable from me. For me, prison is a place of (religious) retreat; ex­ecution is my opportunity for martyrdom; and exile from my town is but a chance to travel ......

Posted Image

- Mohammed

- Mohammed
  • Members
  • 496 posts

Current mood:

Are you saying this will replace oil? Cuz if so then we are gonna lose a LOT of money!

No it won't replace oil. This is just an energy storage device, like batteries.

The oil will run out eventually anyway.  Fortunately Algeria has vast solar energy potential. There was a project going on to install vast arrays of solar panels in the desert and export the energy through transmission lines to the EU countries. Algeria has a bright future ahead in solar energy

Lilia

Lilia

Lilia

• Super Moderators
  • 1,503 posts

Current mood: Cloud 9 Contributor

There was a project going on to install vast arrays of solar panels in the desert and export the energy through transmission lines to the EU countries. Algeria has a bright future ahead in solar energy

You're talking about DESERTEC, right? They say it's starting this year inhsallah I dunno what's taking them so long, wasting time and energy like that! 

Posted Image

- Mohammed

- Mohammed
  • Members
  • 496 posts

Current mood:

Yeh thats the one

wise-man001

wise-man001
  • Members
  • 461 posts

Current mood: Fine

Talking about the Desertec initiative, unfortunately the two German firms Siemens and Bosch (major contributors in the consortium) have announced their withdrawal. 

• Lilia likes this
Be the change you want to see in the world.

- Mohammed

- Mohammed
  • Members
  • 496 posts

Current mood:

That is a shame, I hope other companies can step in. Better still would be other Algerian companies.

• Beebo and Lilia like this

Beebo

Beebo
  • Admin
  • 6,650 posts

That is a shame, I hope other companies can step in. Better still would be other Algerian companies.

Definitely agree, but we unfortunately don't have the expertise to do it ourselves :(

• Lilia and wise-man001 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: technology, tech, discovery