4 replies to this topic

wise-man001

wise-man001
  • Members
  • 461 posts

Current mood: Fine

salam el khawa wel akhawate

I find this video interesting and worth watching

And if you liked this video, you might also wanna watch this one, it's an amateur report about el 3eid in Malaysia and other topics such as the Hallal meat and even an argumentation about the existence of a creator all this mixed with a touch of humor (and of tmahbeel sometimes lol)

Manfa3a 3amma ! 

• Lilia likes this
Be the change you want to see in the world.

Lilia

Lilia

Lilia

• Super Moderators
  • 1,507 posts

Current mood: Cloud 9 Contributor

salam

Baraka Allah fika Wiseman, this is beautiful. He's got such a way of making his point, inshallah he's gonna reach someone out there

• wise-man001 likes this
Posted Image

wise-man001

wise-man001
  • Members
  • 461 posts

salam

Baraka Allah fika Wiseman, this is beautiful. He's got such a way of making his point, inshallah he's gonna reach someone out there

inshallahwell things are getting more and more difficult in an agnostic and misbelieving environment, and I think one has to proceed with logic and pure rationality in such discussions, one argument I like using if I happen to talk about this topic of creationism is the one stated by the famous French thinker of the 17th century Blaise Pascal, he first starts by postulating that the human mind is unable to determine with certainty whether God exists or not and that the two possibilities are equiprobable,  now let’s build on that; first option :  if god doesn’t exist, then our choices in this life won’t matter since we’re heading toward nothingness, now however, if God does exist, then we have all the interest in adopting faith because this will lead us to paradise and likewise we have all to lose if we keep in misbelieving and denial because this will lead us to dirt. Now taking this into account and considering the cost and benefits of each option it becomes clear the smartest and “safest” choice is adopting faith.

Now for the sake of information, you may wanna know that Blaise Pascal takes this reflection a step further into abstraction to state his “principle of maximization” that is still at the core of the theory of decision making in economics and social sciences, in a glance he says that whenever we are confronted with a choice between two options then we should consider the consequences of each one and assign them two variables: the first variable is the probability of the event (the likelihood that those consequences will actually happen). The second variable is the amount of benefits one will have from those consequences. The rational choice is then the one for which the product of the two variables is the highest (9ololi yakhi manich nehdar chinwiya lol)

To see if you get the idea play this game with me, say I give you 100€ and then I tell you you have two options : A)  you can either keep 40€ and give the remaining 60 € back or B) I flip a coin and you have the chance to keep all the money if it’s a head.

Hidden Content
You'll be able to see the hidden content once you reply to this topic.

For further reading : http://en.wikipedia..../Pascal's_Wager

• Lilia likes this

Lilia

Lilia

Lilia

• Super Moderators
  • 1,507 posts

Current mood: Cloud 9 Contributor

@ Second video, it's great to see Eid in other countries and see their customs. I like how they all sit together to eat. And, they are so organized; the way they chain udhiyat to trees, the way they slaughter them in gutters not to leave a mess, really cool! 

Though, he could have forgone the whole 'on m'a piqué mes claquettes!' part. Some laundry are better aired in the private of your home (or in this case, your culture)! 

Now, for your speech in Chinese :P :D were you talking about cause and effect?! 'cause I failed miserably at your test lol

In Economics, they teach us that there are, among other factors that we still haven't tackled, two factors that we should consider when facing mutiple choices: Profitability & Risk. these two go hand in hand, the more something is profitable the bigger the risk is, like your test for isntance, wal 3akss sahhih :D  And that is in an unsure environment, because in other environment we use mathematical instruments. Anyway, in this case the choice is based on the personality of the decision maker Prudent, adventurer, etc.  

• wise-man001 likes this

wise-man001

wise-man001
  • Members
  • 461 posts

@ Second video, it's great to see Eid in other countries and see their customs. I like how they all sit together to eat. And, they are so organized; the way they chain udhiyat to trees, the way they slaughter them in gutters not to leave a mess, really cool! 

Well, Malaysian are known to be organized people (just ask ppl who went for a  Hadj or a omra ) moreover, I think they are the reference   in the world when it comes to questions of Halal food and products (a friend of mine will start soon inshallah a certification organism in Algéria for Halal products, he went  several times to Malaysia for training and to get cooperation agreements from institutions there)...Yes ! you guys have no idea how much porc derivatives are included in some of the food we're consuming (cheese, yogurt...etc) or even other products such as  make-up ...but this is another topic ! 

Though, he could have forgone the whole 'on m'a piqué mes claquettes!' part. Some laundry are better aired in the private of your home (or in this case, your culture)! 

Yes, mmm, maybe, but as I always said, the first step to resolve a problem or to correct a misbehavior is to acknowledge it and be aware of it, and denouncing such behaviors publicly helps to bring more attention to them. 

Now, for your speech in Chinese were you talking about cause and effect?! 'cause I failed miserably at your test lol
In Economics, they teach us that there are, among other factors that we still haven't tackled, two factors that we should consider when facing mutiple choices: Profitability & Risk. these two go hand in hand, the more something is profitable the bigger the risk is, like your test for isntance, wal 3akss sahhih  And that is in an unsure environment, because in other environment we use mathematical instruments. Anyway, in this case the choice is based on the personality of the decision maker Prudent, adventurer, etc.  

Yes, that's the idea; the dilemma "profitability vs risk"..I was just trying to explain a basic mathematical method to help us take a decision in such dilemmas, here is a demo for the example I gave : 

We have to make a decision and to choice between the two options A and B right, now let's name "X" the variable representing the profit in each case and "Y" the probability of getting that profit.

now : first case A) X1 would be equal to the profit that is  X1 = 40€ while Y1 equals the probability of getting the profit that is Y1  =1 (if make the first choice we are sure we will keep the sum of 40€ )...and hence the product is X1 x Y1 = 40. 

Now for the second case B) X2 = 100 while Y2 = 0.5 (it's heads or tails hence 50% of chance) and so the product will be X2 x Y2 = 50. 

Now according to Pascal, the rational choice is the one for which the product is the highest that is case B....and yet experience shows that most people would chase the option A...does that show that people are not rational ? or may be as you said since it depends on the personality of each one that there are more prudent people than adventurers ?...Well for me it's a bit more complicated than that, and here is why :

Consider now this game, I put 100€ on the table and I tell you : hey, you have two options, A) you can either lose 60 € for sure or if you want you have fifty-fifty chance of keeping all the 100€. 

Now in case you haven't noticed this is exactly the same game as the one I mentioned before, just framed differently. 

I invite you guys to perform this experience, not on yourselves becasue it's gonna be biased since you know where I'm heading, you can perform it on your surrounding (the more ppl the better) you will be astonished how much ppl will change their mind just by rephrasing the same problem differently. 

For further reading : http://en.wikipedia....ct_(psychology)