writersfreedom

writersfreedom

The Beauty and The Prince

• Super Moderators
  • 5,369 posts

Current mood: Cheerful

:Bismillah1:

:salaam:

Because of my job I was invited to have dinner at the American Embassy tonight and celebrate black history month final week by eating soul food.

Soul food is what we call the meal African Americans eat regularly, so it's part of their culture.

Soul food originated from slavery, in the past black people used to only eat what their masters leave them, and they usually get the food their masters throw in the trash. So it was always something like pig's ear or leftovers or extras and they used to find ways to make it taste good.

Tonight all our food was prepared by African American women. It  was an interesting experience and we had a band playing jazz music while we had dinner so it was kinda nice.

We were not allowed to take pictures, we had to leave our phones, USB sticks and even hard drives at the security desk, so I couldn't take any pics to show you guys :(

But earlier today I went to jardin d'essai with my future husband (Insha'Allah) and we took loads of pics and videos and am gonna upload them to share with you guys! ;) [Insha'Allah]

P.S. You should know , that our food is so much more delicious than their food! :D

~~~ Peace out ~~~

• Lilia and Abu Daoud like this
What can my enemies possibly do to me? My paradise is in my heart; wherever I go it goes with me, insepa­rable from me. For me, prison is a place of (religious) retreat; ex­ecution is my opportunity for martyrdom; and exile from my town is but a chance to travel ......

Posted Image

Lilia

Lilia

Lilia

• Super Moderators
  • 1,507 posts

Current mood: Cloud 9 Contributor

P.S. You should know , that our food is so much more delicious than their food!

Err, you lost me at pig's ear :yucky:  Don't tell me they made you eat sheep's ear and other stuff lol

Of course our food is the best!!! Nothing compares to couscous, loubiya, taghmiss, etc. :D

• writersfreedom likes this
Posted Image

BylK

BylK
  • Members
  • 1,323 posts

Current mood:

Corn bread, grits, collard greens, yams and fried chicken I'm guessing ? 

• writersfreedom likes this

writersfreedom

writersfreedom

The Beauty and The Prince

• Super Moderators
  • 5,369 posts

Current mood: Cheerful

:salaam:

Err, you lost me at pig's ear :yuck: Don't tell me they made you eat sheep's ear and other stuff lol

Of course our food is the best!!! Nothing compares to couscous, loubiya, taghmiss, etc. :D

Haha no no, we didn't eat sheep's ear dnt worry lol. Yup Viva our food! ;)

Corn bread, grits, collard greens, yams and fried chicken I'm guessing ?

yeah you're right, we had Corn bread, grits , collard greens, yams, fried chicken, black beans with sausages, macaroni and cheese, rice with minced meat, potato salad with fried cat fish and after that we had red velvet cake.   :D

~~~ Peace out ~~~

BylK

BylK
  • Members
  • 1,323 posts

Current mood:

Aaah bsahtek .. jewe3tini .. especially red velvet cake !! Any left ? On that topic, anywhere to buy good cupcakes in Alger lol ? 

Apocalypse

Apocalypse

revolution

• Darja Gurus
  • 1,698 posts

Current mood: Procrastinating

my favourite part of this topic, I couldn't take pictures of food at the American Embassy, but hey I took pics of Jardin d'essai! lol

makes me think of that joke of the boy who couldn't write about anything other than camels and whatever the topic was, he'd start talking about the topic given to him then says, just like camels and writes pages about camels. WF just had to show us her pics :D 

I'm kidding WritersFreedom, just teasing you :D

Abu Daoud

Abu Daoud
  • Members
  • 164 posts

Current mood: Cool

I agree that Algerian food is better. Except maybe the catfish. The slaves used to set lines in the Mississippi River to catch these fish and they would supplement their diet with them and they are good eating, alhamdullilah. And a big OH YEAH! I don't eat kepsh feet even though my wife says it's good. Every other part but the feet thank you.

Whoever recommends and helps a good cause becomes a partner therein, and whoever recommends and helps an evil cause shares in its burdens” Qur’an:4:85

Omeymaa

Omeymaa

Have faith...

• Girls
  • 1,330 posts

Current mood: Creative

Bsa7tek WF. Mac and cheese!!!! :no2:  Do you dinners on a monthly basis?

anywhere to buy good cupcakes in Alger lol ?

You're in Alger, forget cakes and pancakes ..eat baqlawa, maqrout ellouz, ptt fours, ttamina, rose de sable...

I'm not sure about cupcakes,  but for pattiserie- there's one in Salombier, fel habbta ta3 el marche (to the left of Srir), sells 30 DA a piece but well worth it. Heard 'La Rose' do good ones too, but I don't know where it's situated...

Done is better than perfect.

BylK

BylK
  • Members
  • 1,323 posts

Current mood:

Nooo I need my cupcakes .. and real ones not the ones they sell here fel qhawi

Lilia

Lilia

Lilia

• Super Moderators
  • 1,507 posts

sells 30 DA a piece but well worth it.

Omeymaa, it been a while since you were here, isn't? Let me bring you up to date with some of the prices:

'Mille-feilles' el nayeh li kan ydir 10 DA, now it's 30DA

'Patisserie', the cheapest is 60 DA/ piece and it could get to 120 DA/piece in some supposedly fancy shops. And that's only in my city, if we take Oran as an example of a big city, I've been told that it's up to 200 DA  

Omeymaa

Omeymaa

Have faith...

• Girls
  • 1,330 posts

Current mood: Creative

Hmm, f essif berk kanet 30 DA, it was about 6cm in diameter. Balak the rectangular one costs 60 DA no?

200DA for a patisserie!!! 3lech, fiha ellouize?

BylK

BylK
  • Members
  • 1,323 posts

Current mood:

There's a place near Bab El Oued that sells mille feuille for 10DA l7ebba :D

It's not much different than the one I buy near my house for 25DA or even the "supposedly" fancy ones that cost 60 

Abu Daoud

Abu Daoud
  • Members
  • 164 posts

I agree about the prices. I just got back from a visit after almost 2 years and the prices have gone way up! Scary as I plan to retire to Aljazair.

BylK

BylK
  • Members
  • 1,323 posts

Current mood:

It's not surprising though, it's inflation, prices all over the world go up .. However, for someone living outside Algeria, I find that prices have actually gone done when you do the conversion, for me anyway. For example, the Canadian dollar was worth 60-70 dinars a few years ago, today it's worth about 100-110. Even though prices in Algeria have gone up, when I do the conversion things are cheaper.

BylK

BylK
  • Members
  • 1,323 posts

Current mood:

I found a good patisserie place right near my house. It's expensive but the stuff they make is really good, not like most of the other places:

γΝγΟ - Mohammed

γΝγΟ - Mohammed
  • Members
  • 496 posts

Current mood:

Those look delicious, I can taste them here!

A day spent without learning is a day wasted

Apocalypse

Apocalypse

revolution

• Darja Gurus
  • 1,698 posts

Current mood: Procrastinating

abu daoud I think many people IN algeria would also agree with you concerning Kebsh Feet, and its head too, and guts..

Lilia

Lilia

Lilia

• Super Moderators
  • 1,507 posts

Ah! I haven't had one of those (the last one with white cream in the middle)  since I was a kid!

abu daoud I think many people IN algeria would also agree with you concerning Kebsh Feet, and its head too, and guts..

I only eat meat and kebda, anything extra is out of the question! 

fred2265

fred2265
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Current mood:

Red Velvet cake is amazing..jpg

Abu Daoud

Abu Daoud
  • Members
  • 164 posts

The ones with the white cream are called something in Australia, but I forgot because we always called them "snot blocks". It's because the cream looks like something that runs out of a nose too  :lol: