- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

^_^Chaouia^_^

^_^Chaouia^_^
  • Girls
  • 3,647 posts

Current mood: Woot!
Ok I didn't know if I should post it here or in the Islam forum, but seeing on how most of us are outside living in a non-muslim country, these are some food ingrediants or additives that are Haraam

1. Animal shortening
2. Collagen (pork)
3. Diglyceride (animal one is haraam, the plant one is halal )
4. Enzyme ( animal one is haraam, the plant one is halal )
5. Fatty acid ( animal one is haraam, the plant one is halal)
6. Gelatin (unless it says kosher or halal)
7. Glycerol/ glycerin ( animal one is haraam, the plant one is halal)
8. Protein ( unless you make the mixture yourself with halal bi-products)
9. Monoglycerides (animal one is haraam, the plant one is halal)
10. Pepsin
11. Phospholipid (animal one is haraam, the plant one is halal)
12. Renin Rennet (this one still not sure of cause have not been able to get a straight answer from the manufactor about if it has pork bi-products in it so I stay away from it till I hear furture)
13. Shortening (animal one is haraam, plant or nut ones are halal)
14. Lecithin
15. Lard
16. Liquor
17. alcohol vinagars
18. Whey ( this is also investagative, some manufactors use lard in the mixture, but if its pure whey, then its ok)

Animal fat shortening can be from beef fallow or lard. If its from lard, then it is Haraam. If its from beef tallow, then the animal has to have been slaughtered Islamicly, otherwise it is Haraam.
Please check ingredents before buying package foods, if you are unaware of what they are using plant or animal, you can call the company on the package and have a right to know what you are eating before you decied to consume it.

These are all the ones I can think of right now, if anyone else has any they like to share, will help out when we are looking or using stuff for our cooking or eating while outside in non-muslim countries.
TamattuT nnegh machi ghir i waghrom
Tattali zang u yis wa Traffed' agastur."
The shawi woman isn't just for house work
She rides the horse and carries a sword.

Fatony

Fatony

A Legal Algerian

• Super Moderators
  • 6,558 posts

Current mood: Cheerful Contributor
what do you think of Spirit vinegar. you find it alot in ketchup
There are people with experience and people with opinions. Listen to one, smile at the other.
Posted Image

^_^Chaouia^_^

^_^Chaouia^_^
  • Girls
  • 3,647 posts

hmm never seen that one, but i will look it up and if its alcohol then yes would be haraam, but i will get back on that one ok smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

^_^Chaouia^_^

^_^Chaouia^_^
  • Girls
  • 3,647 posts

ok here you go, yes spirts is haram, it is a wine vigar that does have alcohol in it, so it would be haram, wow you know i looked here on the ketsup bottles and did not find one that had that in it, just found they had high amounts of sugar and salt in them.

Fatony

Fatony

A Legal Algerian

• Super Moderators
  • 6,558 posts

well I don't know.. here most muslims use it and nearly every ketchup bottle has it smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':S' /> ! I am confused... chaouia look at the expensive ketchup sauces see if it has that innit.. Because i've seen white wine vinegar before I know that's haram.

^_^Chaouia^_^

^_^Chaouia^_^
  • Girls
  • 3,647 posts

yeah i look at all the ketsup i could find, and i asked the iman he said was haram if its spirts, so then i aked one american freind who is working in the food industry as a chef, she also said that the spirts in ketsup used in european countries was just a form of white wine, that they were cooked when processed, but she said still they are a white wine, but she said you can buy it, just in mail order, or specialty stores, we have some regulation thing in the usa about certain foods and medicins with alcohol in them. ok so then i called a company heinz yesterday, and asked them about their uk branch what means spirts? they said also they used a white wine vingar spirt in theirs, so i asked why i never seen that here in the usa one? they said cause you cant add that in the american one from regulations.
so now stay away from it, or i mail u some american ketsup ok

Fatony

Fatony

A Legal Algerian

• Super Moderators
  • 6,558 posts

wow barakallahu feek sister.. u didnt need to go as far as that. But it's very misleading here. I'll tell mom to stop buying that ketchup then. We were told that it's halal but since it's white wine am keeping well away from it.

No am sure we can live without ketchup :P thanks.

Fatony

Fatony

A Legal Algerian

• Super Moderators
  • 6,558 posts

ok another question. Do you guys have the E numbers in the ingredients? I see them in crisp packets, drinks..everything really. Aparently it's a way for companies to keep things hidden from customers and at the same time applying with the food regs.

^_^Chaouia^_^

^_^Chaouia^_^
  • Girls
  • 3,647 posts

whats an e number? no here they must list all ingredants, and also the nutrinal contants as well, too many sue happy people in the states, they must also supply a manufator telephone number and addy so you may contact them 24/7 for any questions, here its like misleading if they dont list it, so that way we are lucky to know what we are eating ilhumduallah, no problem about calling and checking into for you khouya thats what we are here for smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Fatony

Fatony

A Legal Algerian

• Super Moderators
  • 6,558 posts

this is something that is being used all over europe.

http://www.faia.org.uk/enumbers.php

No body wants to carry a booklet around with them with the harram E numbers.. its getting rediculous.

Additives which are ALWAYS of animal origin, such as (HARAAM):

E120 Cochineal : a red colour obtained from female insects

E441 Gelatine : derived from the bones and/ or hides of cattle and/ or pigs

E542 Edible Bone Phosphate : an extract from animal bones

E904 Shellac : a resin from the lac insect

Whilst some additives with a common code such as E47, can be either of animal or plant origin and this latter type needs to be investigated on a case-by-case basis per product/ manufacturer.
The main additives you need to be aware of are:

Glycerol / Glycerin / Glycerine (E422) - haraam if obtained from pork or non-halal meat sources.
Emulsifiers (E470 to E483) - haraam if obtained from pork or non-halal sources.
Edible Bone Phosphate (E542) - haraam if obtained from pork or non-halal meat sources.

^_^Chaouia^_^

^_^Chaouia^_^
  • Girls
  • 3,647 posts

oh wow thanks, but i usually dont eat outside or pre-package foods when outside of the states, just like to know what i am eating, but with as many Muslims in Europe you think, people would protest to be able to know all what they are eating, like they did here, inchallah one day will change.

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
Be careful to check the ingredients in chocolate mousse, chocolate trifles, vitamin tablets, mashmellow and yoghurts Been caught out by many of these containing gelatine, so always check the ingredients
Truly, to Allaah we belong and truly, to Him we shall return

Posted Image

ummadina

ummadina
  • Girls
  • 168 posts

Current mood: Creative
Assalam alaykum.

Just to let you know that vinegars such as white wine, red wine, cider etc are halal. I have it in a book from the muslim food authority. Aparently, the process of making vinegar means that there is no alcohol left in the wine therefore making it halal.

Allahu 3alam
Shaqiq said "Weeping over past (misdeeds), being afraid of perpetrating a sin again, forsaking the company of evildoers, and adhering to the company of righteousness - these are the hallmarks of a (sincere) repentence."

ummadina

ummadina
  • Girls
  • 168 posts

Current mood: Creative

Be careful to check the ingredients in chocolate mousse, chocolate trifles, vitamin tablets, mashmellow and yoghurts Been caught out by many of these containing gelatine, so always check the ingredients

I have been caught out lots of times, especially as manufacturers have a habit of changing the recipe. So something I have bought before suddenly has gelatine added to it. Sometimes though, I look so carefully for gelatine and animal products that I completely miss the fact that it has alcohol in it. LMHO (laughing my hijab off).

I must say though, one of the reasons that we love being in Algeria is that we can just eat and not worry too much about checking everything. The kids especially love this as cakes, yoghurts and sweets are notorious for having animal products in them here in the UK.

^_^Chaouia^_^

^_^Chaouia^_^
  • Girls
  • 3,647 posts

i do not know all i know is it starts off as alcohol even if it is cooked out, the fact is it is still alcohol, and many countries and imans say it is haram, me i will stay away from them to be safe and should not be questioned even if it is cooked out the fact is it is in there.. and remember if it started out as alcohol then the fact is haram went into it in the beginning how u can make a haram into a halal? and also remember if it is questionable better to stay away from it..

as for in algerie, sad to tell you there are many candies, chocolates , and biscuits that come from turkey , spain, and italy that have alcohol and gelatine in them i just ate a chocolate 5 months ago there that had the 2 and was shocked, also found chips from china sold there with lard in them so u can not say living back in algerie all things are halal when we have many foods that are also haram but the people do not check the ingredients, i never stop checking no matter where i am.. i do like here in france they post things that are halal on the package including meat if they are which makes things easier..