Change
Photo

Portable Applications

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Poll: Portable Applications (7 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think of Portable Apps

1. THE BEST THING EVER MADE!! (5 votes [71.43%])

Percentage of vote: 71.43%

2. meh! ok but nothing special (1 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

3. you're wasting my time (1 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Beebo

Beebo
  • Admin
  • 6,655 posts

Current mood: Busy Contributor
I am not sure how many of you actually know about this and for those who do know whether you use it or not. I have been using this for 2 years now and it makes my life so much easier knowing that you have everything u need in ur pocket or key chain.

Let's start with a scenario....

you are at school or at a friend's house and you run into the problem of them not having the software you need. For example, at school you want to go on msn or yahoo messenger but you can't because u can't download msn nor is it available on the computer. At your friend's house, they don't have firefox (which you LOVE) or they don't have the program u need to work on a file... WHAT DO U DO?

well, it's been a while since "hackers" and programmers have come up with the idea of making everything portable... what does it mean?

well all you need is a thumb drive or ur ipod or ur MP3 player (as long as it has enough space 2GB and up so u have more choice and enough space) and what you do is you download ANY program in a portable format... being portable means u don't need to install it. all you do is drag it to your ipod or thumb drive and then if u are at school or anywhere else, you just plug in ur thumb drive or ur ipod and VOILA it's there u double click it and it will run from the drive :D

One site which you can get so many applications from is http://portableapps.com/apps/

for big name applications such as microsoft and so on u would need special links which you can request if you want BUT before i finish off i'll upload a portable live messenger for all of u who want to use it at school and so on ;) just copy paste the file on to ur ipod or thumb driver and that's it :D

MSN PORTABLE:
Hidden Content
You'll be able to see the hidden content once you reply to this topic.

Enjoy!

WgxUpZ6.png

Fatony

Fatony

A Legal Algerian

• Super Moderators
  • 6,558 posts

Current mood: Cheerful Contributor
I didnt know about the others but only one I knew about was Windows XP live which is 100mb and runs from your usb pen.
There are people with experience and people with opinions. Listen to one, smile at the other.
Posted Image

YazzyCherry

YazzyCherry
  • Girls
  • 699 posts

Current mood:
I didn't have a clue what this was till i read
and im still confused but replying to get a clearer idea..
Toodles xxx

Beebo

Beebo
  • Admin
  • 6,655 posts

like i said, it's a portable program unlike normal programs which u need to install on a PC this one u don't have to install it. U just double click on it and it will work, so it's easier to just carry around in ur pocket just in case u would need to use the program at school (where you're not allowed to install new programs and so on)

γΝγΟ - Mohammed

γΝγΟ - Mohammed
  • Members
  • 496 posts

Current mood:
Good thread! I've heard of these portable applications and have used linux through this method without having to install onto the computer. Excellent website, thanks!
A day spent without learning is a day wasted

playboisoldier

playboisoldier

Mr Amrani

• Members
  • 890 posts

Current mood:
I've had these for ages now, i also had the software to make portable program's . The msn one will not work in some schools/colleges and work places as they block the connection msn uses. I've tried every possiable way, one good thing about these is that you can now also get portable games and customized applications like Microsoft Office Word, Firefox, And so on. I can upload some sets of portable application if anyone's interested but please let me know before i go Algeria lol

ONLY GOD CAN JUDGE ME, AND ONLY HE SHALL GUIDE ME.

^_^Chaouia^_^

^_^Chaouia^_^
  • Girls
  • 3,647 posts

Current mood: Woot!
thanks khouya might be good to just post them up for those who need it, i have one in my blackberry so i have access all the time to the net smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
but they are great, and the more the better smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
TamattuT nnegh machi ghir i waghrom
Tattali zang u yis wa Traffed' agastur."
The shawi woman isn't just for house work
She rides the horse and carries a sword.

Fatony

Fatony

A Legal Algerian

• Super Moderators
  • 6,558 posts

Current mood: Cheerful Contributor
ok who ever can sort this out will get my respect.
In my work place, when we turn our laptops on, there is an application that we must log into. This application will take us into a completely new windows interface (i.e. server). You must be connected to the intranet to get this app to work.

Ok so in this windows app, everything is disabled apart from internet and the softwares we are suppose to use... This windows will not detect any new drives plugged in and the laptops we have don't have CD rom drives. It accepts a usb mouse, usb keyboard and external monitor.

So, apart from emailing my work out; who can find me a way to add a usb flash pen/external cd rom drive to copy work. Administrator told me it can be done but only with permission of our boss and I must submit a list of files which I want to copy.

Reason this was done to stop people taking work out. And I aint working for the FBI!

SAEEDA~ROUKAYA

SAEEDA~ROUKAYA
  • Girls
  • 2,491 posts

Current mood:
beebo are'nt u an angel??
thank you soo much for this.
beboo how can i get onto youtube when all the proxy sites are bolcked.
silly snake(blocker) blocked evry fing..

:I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody:

Beebo

Beebo
  • Admin
  • 6,655 posts

This is a site u can use to open restricted website at school or at work.

http://www.schoolproxy.com/

so if youtube doesn't work just go to that site and scroll down and you will find a space where you can enter a url (www.youtube.com) and then click on Go and it will work :D

γΝγΟ - Mohammed

γΝγΟ - Mohammed
  • Members
  • 496 posts

Current mood:

ok who ever can sort this out will get my respect.
In my work place, when we turn our laptops on, there is an application that we must log into. This application will take us into a completely new windows interface (i.e. server). You must be connected to the intranet to get this app to work.

Ok so in this windows app, everything is disabled apart from internet and the softwares we are suppose to use... This windows will not detect any new drives plugged in and the laptops we have don't have CD rom drives. It accepts a usb mouse, usb keyboard and external monitor.

So, apart from emailing my work out; who can find me a way to add a usb flash pen/external cd rom drive to copy work. Administrator told me it can be done but only with permission of our boss and I must submit a list of files which I want to copy.

Reason this was done to stop people taking work out. And I aint working for the FBI!

Can you not use a small linux live distribution on a usb pen so that when you first turn the laptop on it will allow you to run this os?