Ithri

Mnarvi-DZ

• Members
  • 1,191 posts

Current mood:

Posted Image

01 July 1962

The auto-determination referendum

Following the Evian Accords, an auto-determination referendum was to be organized within six months after March 19th.

The Algerian FLN and ALN did their best to make sure nothing bad happens during the referendum, and they distributed tracts and flyers in order to mobilize the population and increase its awareness of the importance of the decision to be made.

The Algerian population participated in big numbers. The question that was asked during the referendum was "Do you wish that Algeria becomes an independent state, associated to France as per the conditions stated in the March 19th 1962 declaration?" and the voters had to vote by "yes" or "no"

02 July 1962

Results of the referendum

6,549,726 people were registered in the voters' lists. 6,017,800 did actually vote and 5,975,581 voted YES while 16,534 voted NO.

03 July 1962

Powers transfer

These results were made public on Saturday the 3rd of July, with the following consequences:
- Immediate transfer of the powers to the Algerians.
- Algeria to organize parliamentary elections within 3 weeks and the first APN would be born.

France's Charles De Gaulle sent a letter to the Algerian representative Abderahmane Fares aknowledging the independence of DZ on behalf of the French republic.

04 July 1962

Many Algerian leaders are back in Algiers: Ben Khedda, Ait Ahmed, Bentoubal, Boudiaf, Boussouf, etc.

05 July 1962

Official declaration of Algeria's independence

The French having invaded Algiers on July 5th 1830, Algerian leaders decided to wait two more days before celebrating our independence. This allowed us to turn this sad anniversary into a happy and positive one

After these days of celebration, Algerian leaders started fighting for personal leadership. The former GPRA, the army of the borders, the leadership in Tunis, the leadership in Cairo, the Wilayas army, etc. The problems started.
Un homme se leva et demanda permission d'appeler les fidèles à la prière.
Permission lui fût donnée:
- Vous pouvez les appeler, tant que vous les appelez à Dieu et non à vous-même.
- Mais comment saurais-je la différence?
- Si ça vous dérange que quelqu'un d'autre les appelle à Dieu, c'est que vous les appelez à vous-même.

Beebo

Beebo
  • Admin
  • 6,655 posts

Current mood: Busy Contributor
funny how problems started right after independence lol I guess we've always been like this

thanks for this Bro very insightful

WgxUpZ6.png

Ithri

Ithri

Mnarvi-DZ

• Members
  • 1,191 posts

Current mood:

funny how problems started right after independence lol I guess we've always been like this

thanks for this Bro very insightful

I think it is just normal that they became opponents at the end of the French occupation; after all they were from different political sides and parties before 1954 and united just to fight the real/common enemy.
But I regret a few things among which:
- The fact they fought each other even during the revolution, as long as they felt the French were going to lose.
- The fact they decided to settle in a system with one political party and they assassinated, jailed, exiled all those who didn't agree with them. They could've allowed multipartism and saved us years and lives.
- The fact that they killed Abbane Ramdane, the architect of our revolution, before the independence. He had great ideas for DZ, and decided to follow none of the influence groups (USSR, USA, France, Egypt, Tunisia).

Ithri

Ithri

Mnarvi-DZ

• Members
  • 1,191 posts

Current mood:
Here is an interesting video showing some Algerians interviewed on the eve of the independence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1aITY85xWc

writersfreedom

writersfreedom

The Beauty and The Prince

• Super Moderators
  • 5,369 posts

Current mood: Cheerful
Thank u for this imperative topic Ithri smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
What can my enemies possibly do to me? My paradise is in my heart; wherever I go it goes with me, insepa­rable from me. For me, prison is a place of (religious) retreat; ex­ecution is my opportunity for martyrdom; and exile from my town is but a chance to travel ......

Posted Image

^_^Chaouia^_^

^_^Chaouia^_^
  • Girls
  • 3,647 posts

Current mood: Woot!
tanmirth uma ithri,, please if u can find more post them up
TamattuT nnegh machi ghir i waghrom
Tattali zang u yis wa Traffed' agastur."
The shawi woman isn't just for house work
She rides the horse and carries a sword.