- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

^_^Chaouia^_^

^_^Chaouia^_^
  • Girls
  • 3,647 posts

Current mood: Woot!
hmm do you really taste the ginger in it? maybe a pumpkin one with ginger would be nice?

do they consume much ginger in the uk? cause it also lowers your body from absorbing calcium as well if you do, so watch your intake smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> raw ginger small slice a day is ok and good for the skin, but in my pharma book has no bennifits for flus or colds
TamattuT nnegh machi ghir i waghrom
Tattali zang u yis wa Traffed' agastur."
The shawi woman isn't just for house work
She rides the horse and carries a sword.

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
They only put a tiny amount and it is a health drinks store, I know ginger is suppoed to aid acid indegestion and boost the immune system

The very first site I clicked on said this

"Ginger root has been used to fight off and alleviate the symptoms of colds and flu, as it contains immunity-boosting abilities."

http://www.herbal-su...inger-root.html

other sites, this one says something of the origins and says it's been widely used in arabic cooking

http://www.wisegeek....s-of-ginger.htm

I've seen over the years how after ignoring ancient herb craft for years, medical researchers now realise old claims are worth investigating, they are still learning about the health properties of plants like ginger

"The Danish studies, also reported in this book, show an amazing side effect when the usual winter colds disappeared. Ginger's anti toxic properties have an anti viral, anti fungal, anti histamine and anti bacterial effect which is basically what we are swallowing with anti-biotics, cold and flu tablets, cough mixtures and aspirin."

http://www.gingerbrew.com/health.php

Ginger in Autoimmune Disease
The medicinal properties of ginger root
© Elaine Moore

http://autoimmunedis...oimmune_disease

I remember it as a mixed fruit blended drink which contains orange juice, can't remember what else, I'll try to take a look next time I go that way, in the mean time I did a search for smoothie flu buster and came up with loads of smoothie bars, restaurants offerering something similar, this one had ginger in theirs (it's in Wales lol) I like the taste and sure it wouldn't sell otherwise. Know I wouldn't say we eat a lot of gnger here, I see it more in chinese food, west indies and also in many moroccan or west algeria recipes

http://www.food-pass...efreshment.html

this one too, they call it aloha reef

http://www.quenchmyt...k/delivery.html

This is a recipe for a flu buster supposed to bost the immune system taken from holland and barrett, the biggest and most respected health food store here in the Uk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginger

gosh I know so much more about ginger now lol
Truly, to Allaah we belong and truly, to Him we shall return

Posted Image

SAEEDA~ROUKAYA

SAEEDA~ROUKAYA
  • Girls
  • 2,491 posts

Current mood:
Jannah :wub: you have wrecked everything (Just like my ma), green tea is not part of my juices and smoothes, trust me it went taste nice mixing smoothes with juices AND green tea!!!?? FOR HEAVEN' SAKE!! :angry:

:I donít know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody:

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
sorry this secton is for drinks, will also being doing the same for some other foodstuffs, like soup, calm down sis!!

SAEEDA~ROUKAYA

SAEEDA~ROUKAYA
  • Girls
  • 2,491 posts

Current mood:

sorry this secton is for drinks, will also being doing the same for some other foodstuffs, like soup, calm down sis!!

NOOO don't tell me to frrekin calm down. :angry:

Jokin sis *sigh*OK OK :laughing:

Oh OK so that's how it'll be mashallah.

xo

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
:hug: you know we apreciate all your hard work and thoughtful posts

SAEEDA~ROUKAYA

SAEEDA~ROUKAYA
  • Girls
  • 2,491 posts

Current mood:

"WANDERING around in that early-morning daze, half asleep, half awake, it’s often the smell that hits you first!"

Posted Image

I never knew coffee actually grows on trees!! (Maybe I sound stupid) but no. It’s just that I didn’t have enough knowledge of coffee and sobhanallah we learn something new everyday, we truly do.
So now let me share with you what I’ve learnt during my visit to a small coffee company called the bean alliance and each I’m there I drink about three cups of coffee my gosh! :vomit: We started on the “Aroma coffee project”, a fun and exciting two weeks barista course at the end of the course ones receives a qualification certificate you can then apply for a job at any cafe. However if you're not able to work in cafť <<lol you can always buy a nice coffee machine and be the showing-off barista in the house ,make the best flavour of coffee for your family to enjoy, and guess what I can grantee you’ll beat the coffee shops out there. ;)
I soo wanted to get exactly the same flavour of cappuccino as the one in the shops?? I wondered what I was doing wrong how cloud possibly get it like the ones at the shops.. agrrh. AAAA-H now I know Alhamdulillah. :D

A quick brief outlook on coffee

Coffee is the seed of a cherry from a tree.
Coffee trees have shiny evergreen leaves and grow 30 feet or more. Plants bloom three times a year producing red or white flowers that smell like jasmine. About eight months after flowering the plants produce red berries known as coffee cherries. Each cherry contains two light green oval seeds which, after processing and roasting, become beans.
Only ripe cherries are picked by hand and then transported for processing. The fruit is then removed from the seed by one of two methods.

Read more if you wish.

Facts About Coffee

1)65 countries in the world grow coffee. They are all along the equator, within the tropics.
2)Coffee is not grown anywhere in the United States except Puerto Rico and Hawaii.
3)Caffeine, which is found in coffee, increases the effect of some painkillers, especially aspirin and paracetamol.
4)A coffee tree lives for between 60 and 70 years.
5)Worldwide, more 1400 millions cups of coffee are drunk every day

*Two coffee baristas wrok in the cafe.
*Two different sizes of cups coffee barsitas use.
Coffee Products the bean alliance have:Indulge you taste coffee product,Storm in
teacup,Organic coffee..

This is the simple process of making a cup coffee.

1) Coffee bean goes in the grinder
2) Beans get grind
3) Place coffee grounds in group basket
4) Brush off excess coffee
5) Use the tapon to level coffee in the handle
6) Press water button to rinse through a little.
7) Attach the handle to the machine.

Posted Image

I got taught some four types of coffee: caffe lattť, cappuccino, espresso/short black and hot chocolate. I didn’t know much of the difference between a cappuccino and a latte there isn’t much of a difference anyway, a cappuccino has more froth and less milk, a latte has less froth and more milk in a latte.

^*The Espresso Coffe Menu^*

Posted ImageCappuccino - a standard Espresso with silky foamed milk poured into it, topped with a dusting of chocolate powder.

Posted ImageEspresso - or Short Black, a 30ml (1 oz.) shot of rich, full bodied dark coffee with a silky layer of crema. The rich hazelnut brown crema is an indication of quality freshly ground beans. We cover both Espresso machines and Moka Pots.

Posted ImageLatte
- a standard Espresso with hot milk topped by a small layer of silky milk foam. Usually served in a glass.

How do YOU drink yours?

BASICS

*One shot of finely ground coffee is equal to one level measuring spoon which is equal to approximately 7 grams.

*Use freshly ground quality with a suitable grind. The finer the grind of coffee the stronger the taste, the coarser the grind of coffee the weaker the taste.

*To vary the coffee strength in a “white” version coffee ie. Caffe latte, increase or decrease the volume of coffee pour into the cup.

*ALWAYS ensure espresso equipment is kept clean by regularly flushing group heads, rinsing group handles and wiping steam arms.

GOLDEN RULE: if in doubt, through it out and start again.

**Buying Guide For Coffee Makers

alfara

alfara
  • Girls
  • 6 posts

Current mood:
maybe i sound stupid?? lo0o0ol... anyway give me some won't u?? just a taste...pwetty plz :D

^_^Chaouia^_^

^_^Chaouia^_^
  • Girls
  • 3,647 posts

Current mood: Woot!
thanks rourou sis, my favorite is a soy latte smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
Now I want coffee! What have you started Rouky?!!

I used to work in a large chain coffee shop so they taught us a lot about coffee, if you have a good expresso, it should have a golden crema on the top, if it's very bitter, the coffee grains have probably leaked into the coffee, maybe someone didn't wipe the handle!.

The grind of the beans is very important

Posted Image

Posted Image

The grind adjustment is smooth and easy, Here you see the mill chassis without bean hopper, and the adjustment dial looking down into the burr housing.

Posted Image

The Mini with timer features a really sturdy, large mechanical dial, which you can use as an on-off switch too by turning it one way or the other.

An adjustable grinder means you can get your coffee just right, make the grind too course and the water flows through too quickly leaving a weak bitter coffee, make it too fine and the coffee goes through too quickly leaving you with an ultra strong expresso!

Posted Image

An example of a course and fine grind

Posted Image

The bean hopper has a gate to close it, so it can be removed for changing the coffee, cleaning, or to refill it. The hopper should never be cleaned with chemicals or it will alter the taste of the coffee, it is best to clean it with steam from the milk frother on the coffee machine and then dry.

Posted Image

the handles are designed to hold the exact amount of coffee for the perfect coffee and come in one or two shots, the grinder is designed to deliver the exact amount of coffee to fill the handle,

Posted Image

Dosing with a Doser Grinder

The doser grinder has pie shaped compartments that dose the ground coffee. The size of the pie shaped compartments can be adjusted by turning the wheel (inside the coffee chamber). The compartments with coffee move clockwise when you pull the handle. This will give you one shot of ground coffee sufficient for a single espresso. Two pulls or two shots is good for a double espresso.

Posted Image

the groove on the inside of the handle is the fill level, the handle after filling should tapped on a hard surface to level the contents and then be pressed down with the tamp, this will ensure coffee flows through at the correct speed for the perfect coffee

Posted Image

this handle has been overfilled, so the barista is taking off the excess coffee, it's similar to wiping the rim before attaching the handle to the coffee machine to be sure no cofee grinds fall in the coffee

Posted Image

there are a few methods to tamping, most grinders have a tamp fitted to the front

Tamp Pressure
This is the amount of pressure used to compact the coffee grounds in the portafilter prior to brewing. As a general rule, we recommend consistently using 30 lbs of tamp pressure. If youíre not sure what that feels like, drag out the olí bathroom scale and try it out Ė it wonít feel nearly as heavy as youíre expecting. By always using the same amount of pressure, youíre reducing the number of variables involved in brewing, so itís easier to target and resolve an issue.

Posted Image

coffee grinder with tamper on the front

Posted Image

single shot handle

Posted Image

double shot handle, the shot glasses have the measure level of the exressos

Step One: After dosing two shots of 7g of espresso ground coffee into your double spout group handle, tamping and wiping - insert the group into the group head. Use two espresso shot glasses (pictured) to extract your coffee into. After starting the group dispensing coffee, it should take 5 seconds for the first streams of espresso to emerge.

Posted Image

Step Two: Around 12 seconds, and if your espresso is extracting well you will see the start of the light brown crema on the surface

Posted Image

Step Four: Around 22 seconds, your two fluid oz shot glasses should now be full to the line (or maybe in a few more seconds depending on your espresso bean blend.

Posted Image

Step Five: The prefect espresso, with golden brown crema.

The rate of pour, throught the coffee is paramount for a perfect coffee. However nothing will help if you don't have a good coffee in the first place!

Posted Image

of course with a professional coffee machine, the pressure is always perfect and you can keep your cups warm on top!

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
How to Make a Cappuccino

Posted Image

I was taught to make Cappuccino with one third coffee, one third milk, one third froth, some peole prefer it dry, with more froth.

Posted Image

Steps
  • Chill metal pitcher first. The foam will be better.
  • Fill metal pitcher 2/5 of the way full. Fresh whole milk (meaning that it hasn't been steamed before) will be easiest for this experiment.
  • Place the thermometer securely inside the pitcher.
  • Froth the milk by inserting the steam wand at a diagonal angle just below the surface of the milk (this is the most important part). You are going to want the majority of the milk to be froth, (this ain't no latte*) Steam to 150 &ordm;F (65 &ordm;C). If you prefer hotter, do not exceed 155 &ordm;F (70 &ordm;C), the temperature of the milk and froth will raise 5 &ordm;F (10 &ordm;C) as it sits.
  • Place milk in refrigerator for 30 seconds or so. This makes the foam set up better.
  • Tamp the ground espresso into the head and lock it into position on the espresso machine.
  • Pouring shots is an art form: A perfect shot has a fluid heart, minimum body and a small helping of crema or foam on its surface. A "perfect shot" is pulled inside of 17-23 seconds.
  • Pour your two shots into your coffee mug or equivalent.
  • Pour the steamed milk, holding the froth back with a spoon, into the mug until it is half full.
  • Scoop the remaining froth over the top of the milk until just above the rim of the mug.
  • Sip, drink and enjoy.
Posted Image

Tips
  • An experienced barista knows how to steam the milk so that it can be "free-poured" so that the milk will separate into the perfect proportion of steamed and frothed milk by itself without using a spoon.
  • For a "dry Cappuccino" use less or no milk and only use froth. For a "wet cappucino" do the opposite and add more milk, i.e., 2/3 of the milk and espresso, 1/3 froth.
  • Microfoam is essential for a cappuccino, the bubbles should not be distinguishable by the human eye.
  • More interested in the espresso taste than the froth? Do it upside ("Upside" or Reverse "Cappuccino") down! Pour your milk in, pour your froth then dump your shots over the top.
Things You'll Need
  • Milk
  • Espresso machine, with Steam Wand
  • Tamp
  • Metal Pitcher
  • Shot glasses or equivalent
  • Thermometer
  • Ground espresso beans of course.
Skimmed milk makes the easiest froth! There is a mini whisk which helps break up the bubbles!

http://www.wikihow.c...ke-a-Cappuccino

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
http://www.videojug....e-a-caffe-mocha

think it explains itself ;)

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
through looking at this site

http://coffeeuniverse.com/

I found the perfect networking site for you when you've finished your course Rouky

http://www.baristaexchange.com/

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
http://en.wikipedia....iki/Coffee_bean

Species of coffee plant include Coffea arabica, Coffea benghalensis, Coffea canephora, Coffea congensis, Coffea excelsa, Coffea gallienii, Coffea bonnieri, Coffea mogeneti, Coffea liberica, and Coffea stenophylla. The seeds of different species produce coffee with slightly different characteristics.

Coffea arabica accounts for about 75% of the world's coffee trade, while Coffea canephora (syn. Coffea robusta) is cultivated where Coffea arabica does not thrive, and Coffea liberica and Coffea excelsa are grown in limited areas.[citation needed]

In a crop of coffee, a small percentage of cherries contain a single bean, instead of the usual two. This is called a peaberry.

Posted Image

Coffee bean

Posted Image

Coffee Cherries on a coffee plant (Coffea arabica).

Btw I usually have caffe latte or caffe macchiato, which means marked coffee. Italians get confused when we knock off the caffe part, if you asked for a latte, they would just give you milk! If I really need a pick me up, I get a ristretto

SAEEDA~ROUKAYA

SAEEDA~ROUKAYA
  • Girls
  • 2,491 posts

Current mood:

Now I want coffee! What have you started Rouky?!!

I used to work in a large chain coffee shop so they taught us a lot about coffee, if you have a good expresso, it should have a golden crema on the top, if it's very bitter, the coffee grains have probably leaked into the coffee, maybe someone didn't wipe the handle!.

Iíve started on the barista course and now I guess I do have enough qualification so I know how to get the same coffee like the one in the shops and much better not sure if I am allowed to work in a cafe aah and especially after I am niqabi NOW lol. I just need to get more experience with making in order not to forget it!
Yeah same talk to what Iíve been taught. Itís a great skill to have you know.

Ur barista sister, -_-

Rocky

SAEEDA~ROUKAYA

SAEEDA~ROUKAYA
  • Girls
  • 2,491 posts

Current mood:
JANNAH YOU ARE AN ANGEL. :wub:

Did you know that??

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
barista sisters :wub: maybe we should join that barista exchange :D

I'm glad you're enjoying it and taking it seriously. Always annoys me when the barista doesn't care about what they're doing and make horrible coffee. I was like a duty manager, and took great pride in delighting my customers, not to mention making myself coffee lol (not to mention the lovely muffins :D)

SAEEDA~ROUKAYA

SAEEDA~ROUKAYA
  • Girls
  • 2,491 posts

Current mood:

barista sisters :wub: maybe we should join that barista exchange :D

I'm glad you're enjoying it and taking it seriously. Always annoys me when the barista doesn't care about what they're doing and make horrible coffee. I was like a duty manager, and took great pride in delighting my customers, not to mention making myself coffee lol (not to mention the lovely muffins :D)

Alhamdulillah I am glad that I am a Barista now they gave me a T-shirt with a good buy sig and free barista workwear.lool :rolleyes: I never though you actually NEED to be qualified enough to get behind a machine in coffee shop!!
So yeah now I am the best coffee maker in my family HA my sister makes me sh*** coffee lol :P not like the on in the shops that’s why I hated drinking home made coffee it gives me a really bad stomach ach and breathing problem. Alhamdulillah now I know the secret… :shhh: and janna I bet you had 3-4 cups of coffee a day lool and look,you spoke about muffins and I'm hungry...........*tummy mumbles*

;)

sis I've joined that barista exchange.....

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
cool, yeah I used to enjoy the free coffee ;) maybe I'll come join you sis x

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
Rouky I merged this into the drinks thread because obviously, coffee is a drink! Please try to count to ten and not explode on me sweety ;) I was going to edit your post to t the title coffee back in, maybe you'd prefer to edit that in yourself sis