1 reply to this topic

Ithri

Ithri

Mnarvi-DZ

• Members
  • 1,191 posts

Current mood:
31 August 1855

The Cherif Mokhtar Ben Kouider Attetraoui, aka Bouhmara (the man with a female donkey) led this resistance movement.

His father took part to the movement of Boubaghla (Cherif Mohamed al Amjad) in the Kabylie region. After the French killed Boubaghla, Bouhmara's father took his place as a khalifa; but his health condition and age prevented him from leading the armed resistance himself. He appointed his son, bouhmara, at this position assisted by Boudouani and Arezki Bourenane.

The clans/tribes leaders in the region didn't support Bouhmara in the beginning so he had to seek help and gather troops elsewhere. He thus met with the Ath Feraoucene, Ath Chouaib and also contacted Lalla Fathma NSoumer. He then went to the Ath Mellikeche region which used to be a gathering/hiding place for any resistant.

At this point, his resistance movement received a large support of the population and and started hurting the French occupier. Even his opponent, Cheikh Ouarab N'ath Irathen, joined him.

The major action of Bouhmara was the attack he launched on August 31st, 1855 against French agents and their Algerian friends in the Djamaa Sahridj region. On that day, many people died from both sides.

Unfortunately, the movement of Bouhmara didn't last long because one of his opponents betrayed him and gave him away to the French colonel Boubrit who ordered to behead him on December 29th, 1855.
Un homme se leva et demanda permission d'appeler les fidèles à la prière.
Permission lui fût donnée:
- Vous pouvez les appeler, tant que vous les appelez à Dieu et non à vous-même.
- Mais comment saurais-je la différence?
- Si ça vous dérange que quelqu'un d'autre les appelle à Dieu, c'est que vous les appelez à vous-même.

^_^Chaouia^_^

^_^Chaouia^_^
  • Girls
  • 3,647 posts

Current mood: Woot!
Thank you Ithri for this, was a new one for me and really enjoyed reading more on the web about him
TamattuT nnegh machi ghir i waghrom
Tattali zang u yis wa Traffed' agastur."
The shawi woman isn't just for house work
She rides the horse and carries a sword.