37 replies to this topic

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
Tunisian Couscous

In Tunisia it is a tradition to welcome guests with couscous. This recipe is from the kitchen of Mourad Chaouch.

1/2 pound meat (optional)
3 medium-size onions
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 small can tomato paste
1 cup garbanzo beans
2 small potatoes
4 ounces (1/2 cup) pumpkin or squash
1 pound couscous pasta
1/4 pound margarine
1 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste

Sauce: In a large frying pan, sauté diced onions with the meat (if any is used). Once the onions are transparent, slowly add the tomato paste, mixing it frequentIy. When the paste is well mixed (a few minutes), pour in 1/2 cup water with spices and let simmer at about 200° Farenheit for 10 minutes.

Put in all the rest of the chopped vegetables and cover with 2 cups of water. Let cook for 30-35 minutes or until meat is tender. If no meat is used, cook until potatoes are tender.

Couscous: If a box couscous is used, follow directions on box. If bulk couscous, use a large fry pan. Heat 1/2 cup water and 1 stick (1/4 pound) margarine. When it starts boiling, put in the couscous grains slowly and mix frequently. Once all couscous is wet, pour in 1 1/2 cups of water until barely covered. Let simmer at 200° Farenheit until the couscous is dry. Mix well and let simmer a few minutes more.

Serving: Slowly pour the sauce on the couscous, keeping the vegetables in a separate dish until enough sauce has been used on the couscous. Serve the vegetables on top of the couscous. Serves four Tunisians or eight Americans.
Truly, to Allaah we belong and truly, to Him we shall return

Posted Image

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
Couscous m’Hassel (Sweet Chicken Couscous)
From the book The North African Kitchen by Fiona Dunlop
Serves 6
Introduction

This very ancient Fassi recipe never dies and is just as good with lamb. The sweet onion and raisins blend well and are offset by the golden steaming couscous.
Ingredients
~ Vegetable oil for frying
2 lb. plus 4 ounces onions, peeled and sliced
3 tsp. crushed saffron
2 tsp. ground ginger
3 tsp. ground black pepper
1 lb. plus 2 ounces raisins
3 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 to 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
3 lb. plus 5 ounces chicken pieces
1 lb. plus 10 ounces couscous
5½ oz. toasted almonds, for garnish
Steps

1. Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan and fry the onion with 1 teaspoon each of the spices (except for the cinnamon) over low heat until the onion is soft. Add the raisins, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and the sugar. Cook over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
2. Sprinkle the chicken with the remaining spices (saffron, ginger, black pepper, and cinnamon) and cook in a steamer, covered, for about 1 hour, or until the chicken is cooked through.
3. Cook the couscous according to package directions.
4. Arrange the chicken pieces over the top of the cooked couscous, pour over the onion-and-raisin mixture, then garnish with a sprinkling of toasted almonds before serving.

the north african kitchen

This content is from the book The North African Kitchen by Fiona Dunlop.

Excert from a right up about the book

For the first dinner party, I cooked from The North African Kitchen, by Fiona Dunlop. This cookbook is organized by city — Marrakech, Fez, Tunis, Carthage, La Goulette, and Tripoli. If you want to cook from this book, you’ll need raisins. A lot of raisins. The recipes are straightforward and, in most cases, require little more than your regular cooking tools.

Except for the Couscous m’Hassel (Sweet Chicken Couscous), which I made for my first dinner party. It seemed pretty easy at first — chicken, couscous, raisins. I can do that. But it also called for crushed saffron. Somewhere in my brain, I thought, “Crushed saffron? That must be the easier-to-find and less-expensive version of regular saffron.”

At the grocery store I discovered that, unlike tea or most spices, crushed or ground or broken-into-bits saffron is just as pricey as the long threads. And the recipe called for three teaspoons of the stuff, and no way was there three teaspoons in the little packet from the grocery store. But I bought it and figured I’d wing it.

The recipe says the chicken, all three pounds of it, should be steamed. I’m willing to cook a sweet dinner, but not willing to force my guests to consume flabby, bland chicken. So I pan-roasted the thighs to get crispy skin and deep flavor.

I sautéed the raisins and the onions. I made the couscous according to the directions on the package and not the directions in the cookbook, which involved several 15-minute trips through a contraption called a couscoussière.

http://www.culinate....ouf_lucy_malouf

so obviously the book suggested steaming!

I found a recipe for lamb on a moroccan site, but would have to translate

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
Posted Image

Couscous

Basic Recipe

Every box of couscous comes with directions for preparing it, often quickly, and with leaden, mushy results. The following instructions yield the classic couscous — light, fluffy, and every grain distinct. It's worth the time.
Couscoussiere

Total time

1-1/2 hours

3 lbs. couscous
1/2 cup melted unsalted butter

1/2 cup water
2 tsp. salt

You will need a couscousiere, or a large pot; a fine-mesh colander that will fit snugly in the pot, leaving several inches of room for the boiling water; and muslin to line the colander.

Pour the couscous into a large roasting pan, cover it with 10 cups of cold water, and stir well. Drain, return to the pan and let it rest for 15 minutes. Pour water into the couscousiere or into the pot to a depth of several inches, to a level just below where the colander will sit.

While the water comes to a boil, work with the couscous. Gently rub the grains between your fingers to break up any lumps; then turn the couscous into the top of the couscousiere or into the muslin-lined sieve. Put the couscousiere top in its place, or nestle the colander in the upper part of the pot, wrapping a wet towel around the edge to prevent steam from escaping. Steam the couscous, uncovered, for a half-hour; then, remove the couscous and pour it back into the roasting pan.

Sprinkle the couscous with a half cup of melted butter, a half cup of cold water, and 2 teaspoons of salt, then rake it gently with your fingers, separating and fluffing up the grains. Let it rest for 10 minutes, then return it to the couscousiere or colander. Put the couscousiere top or colander back in its place, wrap the edge of the pot with a wet towel, and steam the couscous, uncovered, for another 20 minutes. Taste to check the tenderness of the grains, then turn it out into a large serving bowl or platter, and enjoy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted Image

Masfouf, Rfissa or Sfeffa

Sweet Couscous

In North Africa, a sweet couscous is often served at the end of a meal; it is also offered at iftar and suhur during Ramadan.
Almond
Total time

1-1/2 hours

3 lbs. couscous
1/2 cup melted unsalted butter
1/2 cup water
2 tsp. salt

1 cup almonds
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
cinnamon
confectioner's sugar

Prepare the couscous as described in the basic recipe. While it is cooking, cover the raisins with warm water and let them soak. Toast the almonds under the broiler for several minutes until they just begin to turn color, then remove them from the oven and set aside. Melt the butter so that it is hot and ready when the couscous is cooked. Drain the raisins. When the couscous is ready, turn it out into the roasting pan, pour the butter evenly over it, and distribute it evenly with your fingers. Transfer the couscous to a serving platter, scatter the raisins and almonds on top, then sprinkle cinnamon and confectioner's sugar over everything.

thanks to Mary for finding this smile

http://www.superlumi...cous_sweet.html

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
Couscous Royale

Like many Algerian dishes, this recipe serves as a framework to which you can add and subtract as your taste dictates.
Traditionally, this dish is served during the most special of occasion like weddings. Almost any root vegetable or hard
squash would be a delightful addition to this dish. This recipe easily scales up to serve as many as you like; as is it will
serve 4 to six. While this dish is vegetarian, you could easily add lamb, beef, or chicken to this dish, browning it with the
onions and spices before add the vegetables and water.

1 onion finely chopped
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. cinnamon
pinch of saffron
½ tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. salt, or to taste
Olive oil
1 tbsp. tomato paste
2 medium red potatoes cut into quarters
2 medium carrots, cut in half length wise, then into 2” pieces
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
2 medium zucchini, cut in half length wise, then into 2” pieces
3 medium turnips, peeled and cut into quarters
1 acorn squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 2” pieces
1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight or canned

In a large heavy bottom pot, add enough olive oil to cover bottom. Heat over medium until shimmering then add onions.
Cook onions until soft but not brown. Add spices, salt, and tomato paste, and stir thoroughly. Add all vegetables except
zucchini and chickpeas, and stir to coat with oil and spices. Add enough water to cover all the vegetables (about 6 cups),
then add zucchini and chickpeas. Heat to a rolling boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until all vegetables are tender,
about 30-45 minutes. Serve on a bed of prepared couscous.
Traditionally, the vegetables are removed from the liquid and arranged pleasingly on top of the couscous. The sauce is
ladled over the vegetables and cinnamon is sprinkled over the entire dish. Additional sauce is placed in a separate container and served on the side.

In Algeria, this dish is often served with a tall glass of buttermilk.

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
Nice site in english about couscous including history and recipes, can put in french too if you prefer it

http://www.couscousd...m/en/index.html

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
RAISIN CINNAMON COUSCOUS

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup couscous, medium granulation
1 cup boiling water
1 cup raisins
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 apples (diced)
1 teaspoon of PARVE whipped cream

DIRECTIONS:

1. Add the couscous to 1 cup of boiling water and let sit for 5 minutes. Fluff with fork.

2. soak 1 cup of raisins in hot water for 10 minutes.

3. add the brown sugar and cinnamon to the prepared couscous . Mix well

4. Lightly fry the diced apples in butter for 3 minutes

5. Strain the raisins. Then add the apples and raising to the couscous mixture. Stir well

6. Serve it warm (You can top it off with PARVE whipped cream).

(Try to ignore the couscous preparation, steam couscous instead ;)

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
VEGETABLE COUSCOUS

INGREDIENTS:

1 large onion, chopped
1/2 t. turmeric
1/4 t. cayenne
1/2 c. vegetable stock
1 1/2 t. black pepper
1/2 t. salt
1 small can tomato paste
3-4 whole cloves
3 medium zucchini
4 small yellow squash or yellow zucchini
3/4 large carrots
4 medium yellow or red potatoes, skins on
1 red or green bell pepper
1 15-oz. can garbanzo beans

DIRECTIONS:

1. Sauté onion in vegetable stock over med. low heat until translucent.

2. Add all spices and cook for a few more minutes, stirring as needed.

3. Add tomato paste, stir and simmer 2 minutes.

4. Cut the vegetables in large chunks and add all (not the beans) and a dash of cinnamon; add water to cover.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for an hour or so. (This can cook slowly for 2-3 hours, if desired.)

5. Add the drained garbanzos about 5 minutes before you take the veggies off the heat.

6. Put couscous in a bowl. Pour boiling water over couscous and wait about 5 minutes. Fluff with fork. (Ratio of about 1 1/2:1 of water to couscous.) For added flavor, add some of the liquid from the veggie stew to the couscous in place of some of the water.

7. Serve the stew over the couscous. Enjoy!

(If I repeat any of these you will tell me won't you :unsure: )

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
MEAT COUSCOUS

INGREDIENTS:

2 lb meat (lamb)
4 carrots
6 whole garlic cloves
4 small onions (5 ounces)
2 cloves crushed garlic
2 c spinach
1/4 c walnuts
1/4 c parsley
1 1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t pepper
1/4 t coriander
1/4 t salt

DIRECTIONS:

Cut the lamb up small and put it in 1 1/2c water with cinnamon, pepper, coriander and salt. Simmer 10 minutes. Add carrots cut up, whole garlic cloves, and small onions. Simmer 10 minutes. Add crushed garlic. Simmer 20 minutes. Add spinach Simmer 10 minutes. Garnish with walnuts and parsley. Meat is boiled with a little water. Carrots, garlic cloves and peeled onions are put with it, then crushed garlic is put with it. Some people put spinach with it also; some make it without spinach .Walnuts and parsley are put in.

last 3 recipes from here: http://www.kosherdel...uscous.htm#MEAT

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
Couscous de Timbuktu Recipe

Traditional recipe

A recipe of Mali, which for those who do not know is to the south west of Algeria and share the population of Tuareg (Kel Tamashek), along with Niger, southern Algeria and I believe Southern Morocco, maybe their wandering take them beyond even these lands, their traditional life and nomadic ways ignores borders. However whilst more northern countries share similarities of cuisine, crafts etc it seems difficult to get recipes of the Tuareg people from these sources, this maybe partly because in the Sahara life is challenging and whilst Tuereg have traditional recipes they would like to eat, they are more reliant on what they can actually get hold of! Couscous is an important and traditional meal not always available to them, dates are loved to the point of being a discussion topic, where the best dates can be had, which are the sweetest etc.

Ingredients:

1.8kg stewing beef or lamb, cut into 5cm chunks
80ml vegetable oil
1 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 tbsp finely-ground black pepper
1 x 400ml tin whole tomatoes
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3 tsp salt
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/3 tbsp ground cardamom
2 tbsp cayenne pepper
500ml water
200g dates, pitted and puréed in a food processor
freshly-milled black pepper to taste
1 tbsp ground cumin
2 tbsp ground ginger

1 tsp grated nutmeg
3 medium onions, diced
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley

Preparation:

Method:

Season the mat then heat the oil in a large metal casserole over high heat. Add the meat and garlic and cook until the meat is well browned. Add the spices and stir-fry for a few minutes. Add the tomatoes and enough water to just cover the ingredients and bring the mixture to a boil. Lower the heat, cover and simmer for about 1 hour, or until the meat is tender.

Add the onions and dates and simmer, uncovered until the sauce has reduced by half its volume (about 35 minutes). Adjust the seasonings, transfer to a serving bowl, sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve with couscous.

http://www.celtnet.o...us-de-timbuktou

Apocalypse

Apocalypse

revolution

• Darja Gurus
  • 1,698 posts

Current mood: Procrastinating

algerian couscous

Yield
4 Servings

Measure Ingredient
1 Can cooked chickpeas, drain
¾ To 1 lb. pkg couscous
2 larges Onions chopped
1 Carrot sliced
1 Gr bell pepper, sliced
1 Eggplant,sliced, salted &
Rinsed
1 pounds Lamb, cut in 2 inch cubes
1 Chicken cut up in 8 parts
3 tablespoons Oil
1 Pimento
4 Tomatoes, seeded, chopped
2 teaspoons Papriks
Salt
7 ounces Fresh string beans or peas
9 ounces Can artichoke bottoms
Drained
Cayenne pepper
4 ounces Butter

sorry but who puts Eggplant in the algerian couscous?? as far as i know, nobody does it in the west, is this done in the east?

chaouia can u get us pics of this barbusha plz?
can't figure out what it is

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
er..I have had it with aubergine, my family make it with aubergine, they are from Algiers and I think the lady who gave me the recipe is using central recipes

Mmmm I think maybe you have site manager potential :D Why didn't I think of this before :oioi:

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
Oh no my bad, it wasn't from who I thought it was, I have no clue...

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
p.s I have had moroccan couscous with aubergine and my husband's friends wife has sent plates of it with aubergine

Apocalypse

Apocalypse

revolution

• Darja Gurus
  • 1,698 posts

THANK YOU? YOU'RE SWEET,

i seems like many people use aubergine in couscous, not where i come from, but it seems like many do

Apocalypse

Apocalypse

revolution

• Darja Gurus
  • 1,698 posts

THANK YOU? YOU'RE SWEET,

i seems like many people use aubergine in couscous, not where i come from, but it seems like many do

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
er did I confuse myself betwenn eggplant, aubergine and er courgette?! :whistle:

Apocalypse

Apocalypse

revolution

• Darja Gurus
  • 1,698 posts

eggplant is not aubergine?

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
Aubergine (Eggplant), Courgette (Zucchini), Coriander (Cilantro)

American names in brackets

I meant I mixed aubergine with courgette, it's courgette my lot and those I know put in couscous :blush: