Photo

Death (Istish'had) Of Ali La Pointe, Hassiba Ben Bouali, Mahmoud Bouhamidi And Omar Yacef

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Ithri

Ithri

Mnarvi-DZ

• Members
  • 1,191 posts

Current mood:
08 October 1957

Have you ever heard of the battle of Algiers? You probably have, if not from history books then at least from Ponte Corvo's La Battaglia di Algeri. The Oscar nominated and Golden Lion winner movie which relates those events.

The battle of Algiers had so many heroes. The most known among them were Larbi Ben Mhidi, Ali La Pointe, Hassiba Ben Bouali, Omar Yacef, Yacef Saadi and many others. Those who died during the battle are examples for genuine dedication and courage and sacrifice at their very young age. Today's teenagers (and not only) should reflect on the respective maturity levels and compare their usually futile 'issues' to the life or death problems of these heroes.

Ali La Pointe:

Posted Image

Ali Ammar (aka Ali La pointe) was born in Meliana on May 14th, 1930. His family was very poor and he had to work very early so he could help his family. He worked in a French farmer's land and quickly learnt the meaning of domination, humiliation and servitude.

He Moved to Algiers and started the practice of boxing with the CSA (Sports Club of Algiers). This allowed him to meet many nationalists who got him acquainted with the ideas of struggle, freedom, revolution.
He spent some time in prison and when he was released he joined the nationalist movement as a fida'i. He participated in many attacks in the capital.

His activity increased during the battle of Algiers and became one of the most researched people by the French authorities.
After the arrest of Yacef Saadi, the police discovered the hideout of Ali La pointe and circled it on October 8th, 1957.

Hassiba Ben Bouali:

Posted Image

Hassiba Ben Bouali was born in Chlef on January 18th, 1938 in a relatively comfortable family. She moved with her parents to Algiers in 1948 and studied in Louis Pasteur (today Omar Racim) secondary school.

Hassiba was a smart girl and had very good results. She joined the Algerian Muslim Scouts and traveled around Algeria with this organization. Her travels gave her the opportunity to see the misery of Algerians' life so she decided to join the UGEMA (General Union of Algerian Muslim Students) in 1954 to change things. She was 16yo.

At the beginning of 1955 (17yo), she joined the liberation movement as a social assistant then became one of the Fida'iyyin in 1956. Her task was the manufacture and transportation of bombs. She was working in Mustapha Pacha Hospital and could find there all the necessary products to manufacture the bombs.

When in October 1956 the French authorities discovered her activity, she left her parents' house and joined the Moujahidine in La Casbah.
She was an active actor of the Battle of Algiers until the discovery of her hideout by the French army.

Mahmoud Bouhamidi

Mahmoud Bouhamidi was born in 1939 in La Casbah. He hated the occupier and joined the revolution as a fida'i at his very first chance. He knew the Casbah very well which helped him in his task: Provide hideouts to the moudjahidine and help them avoid the French check points.
He also played an important role in hiding official documents and also organizing clandestine moudjahidin meetings.

His activity stopped when the French discovered the appartment where he was hiding on October 8th, 1957.

Omar Yacef:

Omar Yacef (aka Little Omar) joined the revolution in La Casbah when he was 13yo. His companions had the age of his father. His main task was the transmission of messages between the fighting groups and also between Larbi Ben Mhidi and Yacef Saadi. This proves how reliable he was at his young age.

He was with Ali La Pointe, Mahmoud Bouhamidi and Hassiba Ben Bouali when their hideout was discovered by the French army. And like his companions, he didn't accept to surrender to the French enemy.

Hassiba Ben Bouali, Ali La pointe, Mahmoud Bouhamidi and Omar Saadi refused to surrender so the French army decided to bomb and destroy the apartment with its occupiers inside. The three of them died under the rubble. Hassiba was 19, Ali 27yo, Mahmoud 18yo and Omar 15yo.
Un homme se leva et demanda permission d'appeler les fidèles à la prière.
Permission lui fût donnée:
- Vous pouvez les appeler, tant que vous les appelez à Dieu et non à vous-même.
- Mais comment saurais-je la différence?
- Si ça vous dérange que quelqu'un d'autre les appelle à Dieu, c'est que vous les appelez à vous-même.

bentAljazair

bentAljazair
  • Girls
  • 989 posts

Current mood:

Hassiba Ben Bouali:

Posted Image

Hassiba Ben Bouali was born in Chlef on January 18th, 1938 in a relatively comfortable family. She moved with her parents to Algiers in 1948 and studied in Louis Pasteur (today Omar Racim) secondary school.

Hassiba was a smart girl and had very good results. She joined the Algerian Muslim Scouts and traveled around Algeria with this organization. Her travels gave her the opportunity to see the misery of Algerians' life so she decided to join the UGEMA (General Union of Algerian Muslim Students) in 1954 to change things. She was 16yo.

At the beginning of 1955 (17yo), she joined the liberation movement as a social assistant then became one of the Fida'iyyin in 1956. Her task was the manufacture and transportation of bombs. She was working in Mustapha Pacha Hospital and could find there all the necessary products to manufacture the bombs.

When in October 1956 the French authorities discovered her activity, she left her parents' house and joined the Moujahidine in La Casbah.
She was an active actor of the Battle of Algiers until the discovery of her hideout by the French army.

At last!!! One woman in your loooooooooong list of Algerian heroes eeeeeeeeeeeh alhamdulilah :yes:

(oh yes Louis Pasteur high school is not today Omar Racim which was called Victor Hugo high School during colonisation)
NEVER FORGET GAZA - NEVER FORGIVE ZIONISTS - BOYCOTT ISRAEL

Beebo

Beebo
  • Admin
  • 6,648 posts

Current mood: Busy Contributor
I am sure we have lots and lots of Algerian Women who are worthy of the title hero, each one has her own story to tell. Unfortunately I am sure that they never had the chance to tell it.

WgxUpZ6.png

Ithri

Ithri

Mnarvi-DZ

• Members
  • 1,191 posts

Current mood:

At last!!! One woman in your loooooooooong list of Algerian heroes eeeeeeeeeeeh alhamdulilah :yes:

(oh yes Louis Pasteur high school is not today Omar Racim which was called Victor Hugo high School during colonisation)

Hehe el baraka fel qlil. Seriously we know there are many who are famous and even more who are unknown to the public, I just missed a few during my busy/absence periods.
And you can always add names here smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Thanks for the correction, Omar Racim was indeed Gautier then Victor Hugo. Don't remember where I got Pasteur from, now I am unable to find any Lycee Pasteur in Algiers...