• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

malik

malik
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Current mood:
salam people

I was just curious to know, is anwar an algerian surname, i know its arab, but is it algerian???

^_^Chaouia^_^

^_^Chaouia^_^
  • Girls
  • 3,647 posts

Current mood: Woot!
what u mean? there are many Arab surnames in Algerie with a lot of other nationality surnames from those who's ancestors stayed and took roots in Algerie, married with native North Africans and many real old surnames have been lost after the Turks, Arabs, Romans, Frence, etc.. came, so we are all Algeriens our great mix pot of nationalities.

But if you are trying to do research on a certain family name to see where it came from? also make sure that the family did not change their real name and take on another which was very common in the past when many came to Islam.
TamattuT nnegh machi ghir i waghrom
Tattali zang u yis wa Traffed' agastur."
The shawi woman isn't just for house work
She rides the horse and carries a sword.

malik

malik
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Current mood:

what u mean? there are many Arab surnames in Algerie with a lot of other nationality surnames from those who's ancestors stayed and took roots in Algerie, married with native North Africans and many real old surnames have been lost after the Turks, Arabs, Romans, Frence, etc.. came, so we are all Algeriens our great mix pot of nationalities.

But if you are trying to do research on a certain family name to see where it came from? also make sure that the family did not change their real name and take on another which was very common in the past when many came to Islam.

yeh i know about the mix of nationalities from before with the ones you mentioned above. I know in algeria we have many different surnames from different nationalities like mansouri(which is persian), boumediene, ben aziz etc.... I was just curious to know if you had heard of any algerians with anwar as a surname, because i know its common to be used as a first name. But your right it is difficult to tell because many did change their surnames as you mentioned.

Quran reciter

Quran reciter
  • Girls
  • 703 posts

Current mood:
As far as i know...ANWAR has egyptian origines...lol still nice name...some knew baby in the family has been named ANWAR ..and am sooo in love with himmmm :wub:

Fatony

Fatony

A Legal Algerian

• Super Moderators
  • 6,558 posts

Current mood: Cheerful Contributor
I believe it was the french who gave us second names... like they named people by the city they were from or grandad's name /looks /nicknames e.g.:

Sahra - Sahraoui
Bou'amama

etc..etc..
There are people with experience and people with opinions. Listen to one, smile at the other.
Posted Image

Sara

Sara
  • Girls
  • 578 posts

Current mood: Bookworm
may be you should check "lannuaire" ( duno wat it is called in english telephone directory ?not sure) , it's available online , if u find this name then it is algerian

Amina

Amina
  • Girls
  • 1,356 posts

Current mood: Tired
my little cousin :rollbaby: is called Anwar too

malik

malik
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Current mood:
Yeh i searched les pages blanches and found anwar as an algerian surname. In french its written as anouar. such as ben khamis anouar ben slama anouar etc....

so question solved lol

thanks for your replies

Fatony

Fatony

A Legal Algerian

• Super Moderators
  • 6,558 posts

Current mood: Cheerful Contributor
wait a second..are you talking about First names? or Surnames?

because Anwar seems like a First name - I think I've just confused my self.

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
When they took surnames, quite often besides professions they probably would have taken their father's first name, because as I am aware they would have referred to themself as for example Amine son of Anwar, this is how it was in many countries when the french decided to make people take surnames, they did the same in mine! Also it would have often taken the french spelling because they wanted to give everyone ID. My husband family name is an Islamic arabic first name with the french spelling. In egypt, like pakistan among others many names would have an english spelling, so the same arabic or islamic name will have a different spelling. My in laws family name has a different spelling in those countries and they often mispronounce the name because they don't recognise it with the french spelling!!!!
Truly, to Allaah we belong and truly, to Him we shall return

Posted Image

^_^Chaouia^_^

^_^Chaouia^_^
  • Girls
  • 3,647 posts

Current mood: Woot!
here is a great site,has many surnames where they came from before the french invasion but it also says of surnames of north africa (tunis,algerie, and moroc) but you will see many of the names are known in algerie. also has the reference where the names came from and who used them and how they changed.
http://www.sephardic...om/levyseba.HTM