Posted Image

writersfreedom

writersfreedom

The Beauty and The Prince

• Super Moderators
  • 5,369 posts

Current mood: Cheerful

Can you guys act out the play for me because I love the theatre?! :D

Hamlet is without question the most famous play in the English language. Probably written in 1601 or 1602, the tragedy is a milestone in Shakespeare’s dramatic development; the playwright achieved artistic maturity in this work through his brilliant depiction of the hero’s struggle with two opposing forces: moral integrity and the need to avenge his father’s murder.

Shakespeare’s focus on this conflict was a revolutionary departure from contemporary revenge tragedies, which tended to graphically dramatize violent acts on stage, in that it emphasized the hero’s dilemma rather than the depiction of bloody deeds. The dramatist’s genius is also evident in his transformation of the play’s literary sources—especially the contemporaneous Ur-Hamlet—into an exceptional tragedy. The Ur-Hamlet, or “original Hamlet,” is a lost play that scholars believe was written mere decades before Shakespeare’s Hamlet, providing much of the dramatic context for the later tragedy. Numerous sixteenth-century records attest to the existence of the Ur-Hamlet, with some references linking its composition to Thomas Kyd, the author of The Spanish Tragedy. Other principal sources available to Shakespeare were Saxo Grammaticus’s Historiae Danicae (circa 1200), which features a popular legend with a plot similar to Hamlet, and François de Belleforest’s Histoires Tragiques, Extraicts des Oeuvres Italiennes de Bandel (7 Vols.; 1559-80), which provides an expanded account of the story recorded in the Historiae Danicae. From these sources Shakespeare created Hamlet, a supremely rich and complex literary work that continues to delight both readers and audiences with its myriad meanings and interpretations.

In the words of Ernest Johnson, “the dilemma of Hamlet the Prince and Man” is “to disentangle himself from the temptation to wreak justice for the wrong reasons and in evil passion, and to do what he must do at last for the pure sake of justice.… From that dilemma of wrong feelings and right actions, he ultimately emerges, solving the problem by attaining a proper state of mind.” Hamlet endures as the object of universal identification because his central moral dilemma transcends the Elizabethan period, making him a man for all ages. In his difficult struggle to somehow act within a corrupt world and yet maintain his moral integrity, Hamlet ultimately reflects the fate of all human beings.

read this again.. :P :D

What can my enemies possibly do to me? My paradise is in my heart; wherever I go it goes with me, insepa­rable from me. For me, prison is a place of (religious) retreat; ex­ecution is my opportunity for martyrdom; and exile from my town is but a chance to travel ......

Posted Image

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
darling that's not acting... (try getting an Oscar for that!)

writersfreedom

writersfreedom

• Super Moderators
  • 5,369 posts

darling that's not acting... (try getting an Oscar for that!)

oh nooooooooooooo gettin an Oscar for best actin was the only thing I was livin for.. :P :P

hehehehe..
now u do u have some books for us to read jannah.?. ^_^

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
I'm still on Hamlet (And not the film version with Mel Gibson!) Besides Walid is good at this!
You know Ophelia, from the play, captured many famous artist's imagination...especially the pre-raphaelites, romantics and classisists, the most famous version was probably by Millais, Waterhouse too did some famous renditions of Ophelia

http://en.wikipedia....lia_(character)

Hamlet has been played by many of the greatest classical actors of all time

I just thought to set the mood a little, maybe capture the imagination

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The play Hamlet is today considered Shakespeare's crowning masterpiece. It was not considered so in the playwright's day. Until the post industrial technology era Hamlet was seen as one among many great plays of the great bard of Stratford. This is not difficult to understand. Hamlet in many ways presaged the psychological complexities of the urbanized modern world. The dilemmas faced by Hamlet, the strain of constant dissimulation, the pathetic empathy for an intelligent, sensitive soul caught in the vicious vice of crazed circumstances, torn apart by indecision, and finally destroyed by the out of control events has found an enthusiastic audience in our time. All of which gives rise to a staggering body of interpretations which gives everyone, from scholars to critics to directors to actors to psychiatrists and psychologists (amateur and professional) to conversation over drinks at cocktail parties, the opportunity to analyze and interpret the play through their own partisan viewpoint.
I am certainly not going to fall into the trap of interpreting either the play or the character of Hamlet but any and every viewpoint can be found in the 100 or so web sites devoted to this play.

www.concentric.net/~marlowe/hamlet.shtml

writersfreedom

writersfreedom

• Super Moderators
  • 5,369 posts

hmm okay sis it sounds to me like u wanna talk abt Hamlet still so ok no problem am not posting the new book till friday night inshallah ..smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
so ppl lets talk abt Hamlet till then.. ^_^

so jannah wut u wanna say abt the play..?. ^_^

bentAljazair

bentAljazair
  • Girls
  • 989 posts

Current mood:
"To be or not to be that is the question"

Good !!! so if that is the question...... what is the answer :think:
NEVER FORGET GAZA - NEVER FORGIVE ZIONISTS - BOYCOTT ISRAEL

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
it's better in the theatre, because you get more understanding of it, the language of Hamlet is from a few hundred years ago, so seeing it acted helps clarify. I like a bit of Shakespeare

writersfreedom

writersfreedom

• Super Moderators
  • 5,369 posts

"To be or not to be that is the question"

Good !!! so if that is the question...... what is the answer :think:

well I think this question shows Hamlet's struggle .
wut do u guys think?.. ^_^

bentAljazair

bentAljazair
  • Girls
  • 989 posts

Current mood:
hathi the question habletni :wacko:
to be what ? and not to be what? ......and the scull in the hand?.......yakhi hala....

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
and to your post WF, obviously :P

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
Bentley my sweet, did you read it?

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
he is talking to himself, deciding whether to go on

Wanted Dead

Wanted Dead

Senior Talker

• Members
  • 796 posts

Current mood: Dead
brothers and sisters :D we have two main inventions on e-dz the so-called shoutbox and e-dz chat .... so try to keep talk about the book , so we avoid empty talks :D

thanks all :D
To see a world in a grain of sand, And a heaven in a wild flower, Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, And eternity in an hour ====> Tamazgha Forever In My Heart

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
We are doing so in a roundabout fashion, sometimes you must allow some freedom in life or risk becoming stagnant and boring. Life is like this. Remember we are on a forum, not at school. Although if we displease you we will try to be a bit more serious :P

Wanted Dead

Wanted Dead

Senior Talker

• Members
  • 796 posts

ok .... so i think next week i'm gonna choose a book that would make evrybody goes insane :P :D

writersfreedom

writersfreedom

• Super Moderators
  • 5,369 posts

We are doing so in a roundabout fashion, sometimes you must allow some freedom in life or risk becoming stagnant and boring. Life is like this. Remember we are on a forum, not at school. Although if we displease you we will try to be a bot more serious :P

we r all with freedom but I started this book club to talk abt the books :D

p.s: wut walid said 100% great..:D

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
I am already insane, no problem, :D anyway I haven't finished Hamlet yet, although I have seen it on stage. I'd like to see more Shakespeare, think it was well picked, well done

Wanted Dead

Wanted Dead

Senior Talker

• Members
  • 796 posts

come on shakspear is not that good , he was just imetating :D

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:

we r all with freedom but I started this book club to talk abt the books :D

So can we move on before we get bogged down in a problem, otherwise keep it to the pms