• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
Ras el Hanout is a North African spice blend that literally means "top of the shop". It's very name implies that only the best spices are used and as such, it's also a spice blend that's hard to find a definitive version of. Each shop would have their own secret combination - some with 20 or more ingredients.

2 teaspoons coriander seeds
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
teaspoon cardamom seeds
teaspoon fennel seeds
teaspoon black peppercorns
teaspoon ground cloves
teaspoon cayenne
teaspoon ground nutmeg
teaspoon ground ginger
teaspoon salt

Heat up the seeds and peppercorns in a frying pan. Dry fry until aromatic, about a minutes. Place all the ingredients into a food processor/mill and process until smooth.

Store in an airtight container for up to a month.

http://cookalmostany...-el-hanout.html
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ras el hanout (Moroccan spice blend)
"There must be as many recipes for ras el hanout as there are spice vendors in Morocco. The name itself, which translates as "top (or head) of the shop," refers to the best combination of spices the seller can provide.

Makes about 1/4 cup

I N G R E D I E N T S
1 teaspoon allspice berries or 1-1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1 whole nutmeg or 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
20 threads Spanish saffron
2 teaspoons black peppercorns or 1-1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1-1/2 teaspoons blade mace* or ground mace
1 three-inch cinnamon stick or 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons cardamom seeds or 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
2 two-inch pieced dried ginger or 2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons salt
1 two-inch piece dried turmeric or 1 teaspoon ground turmeric

I N S T R U C T I O N S
If using whole spices, put all the ingredients in a nonstick pan over medium-high heat and toast, stirring constantly, until the mixture emits a pleasant aroma, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. (This first step is not necessary if using commercially ground spices.) Using a mortar and pestle or a spice grinder, reduce the ingredients to a fine powder. Sift to remove fibrous elements. Place in a tightly sealed container and store in a cool, dark place, or in the freezer.

*Blade mace, also called mace blades, is the lacy, scarlet aril covering the nutmeg. It turns light brown as it dries. It is better know in its powdered form as ground mace.

http://www.gourmetsl...raselhanout.htm
Truly, to Allaah we belong and truly, to Him we shall return

Posted Image

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
Ras al-Hanut - Moroccan Spice Mix
Ras al-Hanut
Region: Morocco
Category: Basic Recipes and Sauces
Season: Any
Difficulty: Easy and Quick

Rās al-ḥanūt, (ﺮﺍﺱﺍﻠﺤﺎﻧﻮﺕ), literally head of the shop, is a complex spice blend used in Moroccan cooking, but also found in a similar version in Algeria and a somewhat different one in Tunisia. Spice shops employ experts who concoct the mixture, using up to twenty-seven different spices. But measuring is quite inaccurate because the spices themselves can vary in intensity and flavor depending on how old they are or where they came from. In the Sahel of Tunisia, rās al-ḥanūt is usually composed of cinnamon, rose petals, cloves, and black pepper. A detailed description of the Moroccan variety of rās al-ḥanūt is found in Paula Wolferts Couscous and Other Good Food from Morocco. This recipe is a simple, basic spice mix (you can add many other spices if you like).

Yield: Makes about 4 1/4 teaspoons
Preparation Time: 5 minutes

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon turmeric

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground cardamom seed

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground clove

Mix all the ingredients and store in a spice jar. It will keep indefinitely but lose its pungency over time.

http://www.clifforda...e_id/799/id/10/

Quran reciter

Quran reciter
  • Girls
  • 703 posts

Current mood:
Ohhhh Jannah subhan ALLAH ! we had a talk about it on Friday me and sara !!!

And although we don't use it in our region ... mom said that it's a mixture of spices that doesn't fit our cooking!

^_^Chaouia^_^

^_^Chaouia^_^
  • Girls
  • 3,647 posts

Current mood: Woot!
we also do not use it in my area as well.. we do have one called afa,, same thing used in Tunis which is a mixture of spices
TamattuT nnegh machi ghir i waghrom
Tattali zang u yis wa Traffed' agastur."
The shawi woman isn't just for house work
She rides the horse and carries a sword.

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
I couldn't find one for afa, I found a tunisian spice blend I posted separately, don't know if it's like afa or not :unsure:

^_^Chaouia^_^

^_^Chaouia^_^
  • Girls
  • 3,647 posts

Current mood: Woot!
yeah you wont either, most those things u posted are from an outsiders view,, and many strangely told wordings in it, really makes me feel like i am in lecture class instead of wanting to know about how to make things

afa you find it in all parts of east algerie and tunisia,, we use it in almost everything, and its not an arabic word this maybe why u can not find it, it is a darja word

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
How rude