- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Beebo

Beebo
  • Admin
  • 6,655 posts

Current mood: Busy Contributor
I was surprised none of you girls brought this topic up... usually every year one of you ladies is our official representative at the fair. Especially that it falls at the same time as November 1st, because most of the merchandise was said to be related to Algeria's heroes, history and the great revolution.

I really wish I was there I would've bought lots of books so I can use them to develop the site's content :(

soo... did anyone attend the great event??

WgxUpZ6.png

Apocalypse

Apocalypse

revolution

• Darja Gurus
  • 1,698 posts

Current mood: Procrastinating
:paranoid: Sorry, I'm not in algeria

Amina

Amina
  • Girls
  • 1,356 posts

Current mood: Tired
..... Posted Image :sad::crybaby: if there is an event that I really miss in Algeria , it is the international book fair ... I used to go with my friends , I remember how last year we did a report and bentely gave us an analyse.

sorry beebo , I'm not in Algeria too ! I tryed to bring with me as much books as I can to stay connected :unsure: ...

but I really want to know what are the books of this year .. and how is it ?! bentAljazair , can you give us a report ?? wf or touta , have you thought to make a tour there ?? soo ??

bentAljazair

bentAljazair
  • Girls
  • 989 posts

Current mood:
salam

This book fair edition was named the king book. The name is taken from the king Lear by Shakspear, but in arabic الكتاب سلطان .... it doesn't work well.

Well I have been there of course but I didn't like it honestly, so I don't have much to say. They have changed the venue for I don't know what reason. It was held in the parking lot of the 5th of July compound instead of the SAFEX Pins maritimes venue as it used to be. They erected a big steel structure there. Something didn't work well because there was moisture inside on books and I read lately on the newspapers that it did cause damages to the books and publishers were angry.

The majority of publishers were from the Arab world. Not a lot of academic or scientific books but a huge number of religious books...still, I didn't find the book I was looking for.

I found a good book at the DKA "Dar Elkitab el Arabi" booth "Algerian society in the Ottoman period" by Dr. Arezki Chwitam.

In literature, well you have the same authors again and again. I found the last novel by Ahlam mostaghanemi "Nissian.com" and books by Alaa El aswani in arabic (the ones sold in Algiers libraries are french translations) ...

I was shocked to find a book by the islamophobe Ayaan Hirsi Ali there for sale on a french booth...how come it has not been censored ... but who cares...

I who always think that the new generation don't read enough, I was so pleased to meet a little boy with eye glasses buying 2 novels of Harry Potter. He was so happy. His eyes were sparkling of addiction to books...such a beautiful vision...

Anyway, I was there from 10 am to 5 pm. At the end I was very tired and a bit disappointed that I didn't find THE gem...may be next year ...ya men 3ach
NEVER FORGET GAZA - NEVER FORGIVE ZIONISTS - BOYCOTT ISRAEL

Amina

Amina
  • Girls
  • 1,356 posts

Current mood: Tired
thank you bentAljazair ... :hug:

I managed to bring an image of the logo of the book fair from friends ! here it is ..

Attached Files

• bentAljazair likes this

Beebo

Beebo
  • Admin
  • 6,655 posts

Current mood: Busy Contributor

sorry beebo , I'm not in Algeria too ! I tryed to bring with me as much books as I can to stay connected :unsure: ...

no worries sis.. had no idea you too have left the country lol... all the best inshallah

I found a good book at the DKA "Dar Elkitab el Arabi" booth "Algerian society in the Ottoman period" by Dr. Arezki Chwitam.

ouffff... I would love to get my hands on that book... I'm very passionate about history books especially ones about the different periods of Khilafas... Ottoman Empire books I read were very intriguing.. I'm sure this one is awesome, because i'm sure it explains the Algerian culture at the time of the ottoman empire which I'm sure would be an interesting read :(

I was shocked to find a book by the islamophobe Ayaan Hirsi Ali there for sale on a french booth...how come it has not been censored ... but who cares...

hadak ma3lish to be sold in the stores cause we respect freedom of speech, but someone says a word about bouteflika gets the boot.

I who always think that the new generation don't read enough, I was so pleased to meet a little boy with eye glasses buying 2 novels of Harry Potter. He was so happy. His eyes were sparkling of addiction to books...such a beautiful vision...

lol let's hope he doesn't try to fly bel bali ta3 yimmah :P

Ithri

Ithri

Mnarvi-DZ

• Members
  • 1,191 posts

Current mood:

In the same topic, another interesting book is written by the Spanish priest Diego de Haedo in the 16th century and titled "Topographie et histoire generale d'Alger" (GAL editions). It includes many exagerations and lies because his Christian feeling sometimes hides the truth from his eyes but many of what he said are true which makes it an interesting read.

In literature, well you have the same authors again and again. I found the last novel by Ahlam mostaghanemi "Nissian.com" and books by Alaa El aswani in arabic (the ones sold in Algiers libraries are french translations) ...

I am a fan of Ahlam M. But in one interview she said she didn't like her "Nissian.com" and that it wasn't that good compared to her other books. As I won't get hold of it any soon, if you don't mind I am interested in hearing your opinion after you read it.
I don't like El Asawni... Certainly not the topics he deals with...

Obviously Khalida's services preferred to censor other books like some of Ibn Taymia's, Ibn Baz's, al Albani's, etc. It's funny though because all of these books can be found in any Algerian book shop (salafi books are actually the majority of books sold in DZ) but they just wanted to ban them from the fair.
And anyways I am against all this censorship. It doesn't make a big sense with the availability through the internet and it is not an intelligent way to do. If Algerian powers want to fight the new salafi movement, correct the understanding of some of Ibn Taymia's books or fight ideas of people such as Ayaan Hirsi then they have to allow all these books but also encourage Algerian intellectuals and scholars to publish books discussing them. Nothing else will really work.
Un homme se leva et demanda permission d'appeler les fidles la prire.
Permission lui ft donne:
- Vous pouvez les appeler, tant que vous les appelez Dieu et non vous-mme.
- Mais comment saurais-je la diffrence?
- Si a vous drange que quelqu'un d'autre les appelle Dieu, c'est que vous les appelez vous-mme.

bentAljazair

bentAljazair
  • Girls
  • 989 posts

Current mood:

thank you bentAljazair ... :hug:
I managed to bring an image of the logo of the book fair from friends ! here it is ..

Bla mziya dear and thanks for the poster. smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

ouffff... I would love to get my hands on that book... I'm very passionate about history books especially ones about the different periods of Khilafas... Ottoman Empire books I read were very intriguing.. I'm sure this one is awesome, because i'm sure it explains the Algerian culture at the time of the ottoman empire which I'm sure would be an interesting read :(

There is also the book "Le miroir" by Hamdane khoja. This one too is a must read.

lol let's hope he doesn't try to fly bel bali ta3 yimmah :P

he he he from what I have seen in his eyes :cheesy: I bet he would certainly do smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

...I am a fan of Ahlam M. But in one interview she said she didn't like her "Nissian.com" and that it wasn't that good compared to her other books. As I won't get hold of it any soon, if you don't mind I am interested in hearing your opinion after you read it.

I don't like El Asawni... Certainly not the topics he deals with...

Well I didn't buy them. :( Nissian.com is not one story rather a collection of stories about women who has been dumped by their lover and who suffer from serious broken heart without being able to forget the ugly bad guy who did that to them...But WONDER AHLAM is here to help them and teach them advice with her magical words on how to forget HIM.
Nothing to do with Thakirat Eljassad. I am desappointed.
Ithri I am afraid this book is not for you. In the first pages you can read : smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> he he he

Inside there are beautiful poems such as this one:

wiht Oum Kalthoum voice and its AAAhhh...great poem!

I haven't read any novel by AlAswani. I have seen the movie 3imarat Ya3qobian. I find the story original quite different from the old plain egyptian stories. I wanted to read the text and get my own opinion about his writing style. Sometimes authors can depict hard or immoral facts in a beautiful style.

Obviously Khalida's services preferred to censor other books like some of Ibn Taymia's, Ibn Baz's, al Albani's, etc. It's funny though because all of these books can be found in any Algerian book shop (salafi books are actually the majority of books sold in DZ) but they just wanted to ban them from the fair.
And anyways I am against all this censorship. It doesn't make a big sense with the availability through the internet and it is not an intelligent way to do. If Algerian powers want to fight the new salafi movement, correct the understanding of some of Ibn Taymia's books or fight ideas of people such as Ayaan Hirsi then they have to allow all these books but also encourage Algerian intellectuals and scholars to publish books discussing them. Nothing else will really work.

I agree censorship is not an intelligent solution, but when you do censor books that you think are not "appropriate" for our society ...how can you allow islamphobe books in Algeria's book fair?

Un homme se leva et demanda permission d'appeler les fidles la prire.
Permission lui ft donne:
- Vous pouvez les appeler, tant que vous les appelez Dieu et non vous-mme.
- Mais comment saurais-je la diffrence?
- Si a vous drange que quelqu'un d'autre les appelle Dieu, c'est que vous les appelez vous-mme.

Ithri, Can you please tell me the source of this quotation, thanks

Ithri

Ithri

Mnarvi-DZ

• Members
  • 1,191 posts

Current mood:

Ithri I am afraid this book is not for you. In the first pages you can read : smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> he he he

Thanks for the insights. I understand now why she wasn't too happy with it.
Then I guess I won't try to buy it, unless a sudden desire to know what could comfort dumped women pushes me to do otherwise.

I haven't read any novel by AlAswani. I have seen the movie 3imarat Ya3qobian. I find the story original quite different from the old plain egyptian stories. I wanted to read the text and get my own opinion about his writing style. Sometimes authors can depict hard or immoral facts in a beautiful style.

I also watched the movie but didn't like it. I failed to see the goal behind the whole thing. But the author is a best seller (among Arab authors) in Europe, probably because of what you called his originality.

I agree censorship is not an intelligent solution, but when you do censor books that you think are not "appropriate" for our society ...how can you allow islamphobe books in Algeria's book fair?

I wish I could understand the logic behind these decisions, if any. May be one action is directed at the internal audience, and the other (inaction) is directed up North? Or may be, such decisions are taken in DZ b nefha so there's no explanation for them.

Ithri, Can you please tell me the source of this quotation, thanks

I unfortunately don't know. It was said "histoire soufie" and I thought it would make a nice signature.