5 replies to this topic

Ozzy

Ozzy

Think different™ 

• Moderators
  • 1,550 posts

Current mood: Inspired

Galloway in fresh Gaza convoy plea

A British politician leading a convoy of medical and food supplies destined for the Gaza Strip has again appealed to Egypt to allow the group easy access to the coastal strip.

George Galloway urged the authorities on Sunday to grant the Viva Palestina convoy access to Gaza through the Red Sea port of Nuweiba.

"I am appealing to anyone and everyone to help us reach Gaza," Galloway said.

"Our medicines are in a race against the time of their expiry date and are spoiling in the desert sun whilst people in Gaza die for the want of them."

The convoy, which is made up of almost 250 lorries, remained in the Jordanian port of Aqaba on Sunday, while it awaits permission to board ferries for Nuweiba.

But Egypt has so far insisted that the aid be delivered through its Mediterranean port of El-Arish, a much longer journey that would require the convoy to go around the Sinai peninsula and through the Suez Canal.

'Infiltration worry'

Maged Botros, a member of Egypt's ruling National Democratic Party, told Al Jazeera that the government in Cairo has every right to specify the port by which Viva Palestina enters its territory.

"We are talking about 250 trucks passing along this critical territory [the Israeli-Egyptian border] - it is technically so difficult to allow.

"There are good reasons not to allow them through Nuweiba ... these trucks might create a big infiltration problem for Egyptian security forces", he said.

But convoy members told Al Jazeera that travelling through the Suez was not a viable option, as passengers are not allowed to go with cargo ships and that the port of El-Arish is too shallow to take the size of ship needed to transport the aid.

Anniversary deadline

Zuber Hatia, who has driven thousands of kilometres from the British city of Portsmouth, said there was a symbolic reason why Viva Palestina cannot make the extra long journey to El-Arish.

He said members of the convoy had hoped to make it to Gaza by December 27 to commemorate the first anniversary of Israel's war on Gaza.

"So though we have all the cargo manifests, we have to just sit, wait and hope," Hatia said.

"Unfortunately, the Egyptians I have spoken to say this is a 'political aid convoy' rather than a humanitarian aid convoy - and that makes all the difference.

"And though the Jordanians are being very kind to us while we wait, the fact is our trucks are impounded in a car park 30km from the port with tonnes of medicines spoiling in this Middle Eastern heat."

Source: Al-Jazeera

If you want to keep up to date with all the news going on about Viva Palestina, then visit this link here:

Viva Palestina

I have a friend that went with the London - Gaza convoy and I can only imagine what he is feeling right now.

:(
  • demi likes this

Beebo

Beebo
  • Admin
  • 6,655 posts

Current mood: Busy Contributor
My friend went with them from Canada.... he's in Egypt now waiting for the Gaza gate to open.

WgxUpZ6.png

Fatony

Fatony

A Legal Algerian

• Super Moderators
  • 6,558 posts

Current mood: Cheerful Contributor
It gets better than this, Egypt are building a steel wall on it's border with Palestine... Trust me, it aint the jews that are killing the palestinians, it's the muslims.
There are people with experience and people with opinions. Listen to one, smile at the other.
Posted Image

lyl

lyl
  • Girls
  • 45 posts

Current mood:

It gets better than this, Egypt are building a steel wall on it's border with Palestine... Trust me, it aint the jews that are killing the palestinians, it's the muslims.

lyl

lyl
  • Girls
  • 45 posts

Current mood:
Egypyt is a puppet of israel and the USA. wihout the help of this opressing nations, egypt will starve of hunger forever.

Beebo

Beebo
  • Admin
  • 6,655 posts

Current mood: Busy Contributor
I'm sure you're all following the news and what's going on.... but if you wanted to take a closer look, this is one of my friend's blog which he's trying to keep up to date while he's in egypt along with many others who are trying to cross into Gaza.

http://gazatonablus.blogspot.com/

hope you like it. May Allah swt help our brothers and sisters in Gaza :pal: