• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

writersfreedom

writersfreedom

The Beauty and The Prince

• Super Moderators
  • 5,369 posts

Current mood: Cheerful
I love Japanese horror films! They're the best with no doubt and as a huge fan of horror films Japanese movies are the ones who really give you what you're looking for in horror films.

But of course Hollywood had to copy and remake their movies and pretty much ruined most of them and if you thought that the American version was scary then you should watch the original (Japanese) one for sure!

J-Horror is a term used to refer to Japanese contributions to horror fiction in popular culture. J-Horror is noted for its unique thematic and conventional treatment of the horror genre in light of western treatments. J-Horror tends to focus on psychological horror and tension building (anticipation), particularly involving ghosts and poltergeists, while many contain themes of folk religion. Here are the top 10 J-Horror movies....

10. Tales from the Dead Dir. Jason Cuadrado, 2007

Posted Image

The film is an anthology of four ghost stories as told by Tamika, a strange young girl with the ability to communicate with the dead. Each tale deals with loss, pain and vengeance as the spirits who tell them attempt to put things right in the world of the living. The film is notable for being a J-Horror film shot entirely in Los Angeles, in Japanese with local Japanese talent.

9. Kairo U.S: Pulse; Dir. Kiyoshi Kurosawa, 2001

Posted Image

After one of their friends commits suicide, strange things begin happening to a group of young Tokyo residents. One of them sees visions of his dead friend in the shadows on the wall, while another's computer keeps showing strange, ghostly images.

8. Koroshiya Ichi US: Ichi the Killer; Dir. Takashi Miike, 2001

Posted Image

A Yakuza boss, Anjo, disappears with three hundred million yen. His loyal gang members, led by the masochist Kakihara, start a search, but their aggressive and gory methods worry the other Yakuza gangs. Kakihara's most frightening counterpart is the mysterious Ichi, a psychopathic killer with a dark childhood secret, who is controlled by a retired cop.

7. Ōdishon U.S: Audition; Dir. Takashi Miike, 1999

Posted Image

A lonely Japanese widower whose son is planning to move out of the house soon expresses his sadness to a friend and fellow film producer, who becomes inspired to hold an audition for a non-existent film so that the widower can select a new potential bride from the resulting audition pool. The widower ultimately becomes enamored with and fascinated by one particular young woman, but his first impressions become wrong.

6. Chakushin Ari U.S: One Missed Call; Dir. Takashi Miike, 2004

Posted Image

In Japan, people mysteriously start receiving voicemail messages from their future selves, in the form of the sound of them reacting to their own violent deaths, along with the exact date and time of their future death, listed on the message log. The plot thickens as the surviving characters pursue the answers to this mystery which could save their lives.

5. Jisatsu Sākuru U.S: Suicide Club; Dir. Sion Sono, 2002

Posted Image

In Tokyo, when fifty-four high-school students commit a collective suicide, jumping from a platform in Shinjuku Station, the police force led by Detective Kuroda have no clue to follow. Then he receives an e-mail from a young woman, The Bat, advising that there is a site where red dots mean the number of persons that died. Kuroda and his team investigate the deaths going nowhere.

4. Akira dir. Katsuhiro Otomo, 1988

Posted Image

Although it is not technically a J-Horror film, Akira is notable scary movie. Kaneda is a bike gang leader whose close friend, Tetsuo, gets involved in a government secret project known as Akira. On his way to save Tetsuo, Kaneda runs into a group of anti-government activists, greedy politicians, irresponsible scientists and a powerful military leader. The confrontation sparks off Tetsuo's supernatural power leading to bloody death, a coup attempt and the final battle in Tokyo Olympiad where Akira's secrets were buried 30 years ago.

3. Honogurai Mizu No Soko Kara U.S: Dark Water; Dir. Hideo Nakata, 2002

Posted Image

After winning a custody battle for her daughter, Yoshimi tries to make a new start. The apartment she moves into seems perfect at first. Soon though, strange things begin happening. Huge water stains appear on the ceiling and drip constantly, more liquid oozing into the rooms every day. She calls the landlord in but he refuses to do anything about it. A child's red bag shows up in odd places and soon the child herself starts appearing. Yoshimi then discovers the origin of the ghost.

2. Ju-on: The Grudge Dir. Takashi Shimizu, 2003

Posted Image

In Japan, when the volunteer social assistant Rika Nishina is assigned to visit a family, she is cursed and chased by two revengeful fiends: Kayako, a woman brutally murdered by her husband and her son Toshio. The various supernatural experiences undergone by the different owners of the house, unaware of the horrible events that have taken place here, mingle across time, and the true form of the terrifying, invisible "Ju-On" that nests in this house becomes clear.

1. Ringu U.S: The Ring; Dir. Hideo Nakata, 1998

Posted Image

After the death of her cousin Tomoko, reporter Reiko hears stories of a videotape that kills everyone who sees it exactly one week after viewing. At first she discounts the rumors, but when she learns that Tomoko's friend (who watched the video with her) died at exactly the same time, she begins to investigate. After viewing the tape herself, strange things start happening, and so she teams up with her ex-husband, Ryuji, to try to stop the death clock that has once again begun ticking. Reiko and Ryuji race to save their lives from impending doom and discover what the tape has to do with a tragedy-stricken volcanic island and a very strange little girl named Sadako.

There's also this other movie which I saw in Japanese 8 years ago but I can't remember its name and it's about this man who goes from school to school and claims to be taking the kids on trips but he drugs them and takes them to an island and then gives them guns and knifes and stuff and they have to kill each other in one week cuz at the end of the week the chip that he put in their head will explode if there is more than one person alive , it was really creepy esp that he took kids who were even as young as 7 years old.

you should know that most Hollywood horror films are based or a remake of a Japanese one.

What can my enemies possibly do to me? My paradise is in my heart; wherever I go it goes with me, insepa­rable from me. For me, prison is a place of (religious) retreat; ex­ecution is my opportunity for martyrdom; and exile from my town is but a chance to travel ......

Posted Image

Fatony

Fatony

A Legal Algerian

• Super Moderators
  • 6,558 posts

Current mood: Cheerful Contributor
for a second I thought your 123 viva l'algerie is a japanese horror movie.

anyways, yes the grudge and the ring were scary in their own ways... Japanese are good at everything apart from smiling.
There are people with experience and people with opinions. Listen to one, smile at the other.
Posted Image

Beebo

Beebo
  • Admin
  • 6,655 posts

Current mood: Busy Contributor
Japanese horror films are very gory some stories are horrific... makes you wonder how these writers sleep at night

WgxUpZ6.png

writersfreedom

writersfreedom

• Super Moderators
  • 5,369 posts

for a second I thought your 123 viva l'algerie is a japanese horror movie.

hahahaha , it really got to u lol :D

anyways, yes the grudge and the ring were scary in their own ways... Japanese are good at everything apart from smiling.

you are so right , one of my close friends was from Japan and I never saw her smiling smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':S' /> lol even when she was Happy! lol

I think that's why they dnt ever look old cuz u know laughing and smiling are good for the heart but bad for the skin lol

Japanese horror films are very gory some stories are horrific...

yes, but that's the whole point of it. To give horror films their true meaning.

makes you wonder how these writers sleep at night

I dnt think Japanese ppl ever sleep lol

Hayamoto

Hayamoto
  • Members
  • 242 posts

Current mood: Cold
Ahhhhhhhhhhh Kore wa Totemo kowai desu Posted Image

モハメド

Posted Image

writersfreedom

writersfreedom

• Super Moderators
  • 5,369 posts

Why did u reply in some sort of broken Vietnamese and not Japanese ? lol

Sara

Sara
  • Girls
  • 578 posts

Current mood: Bookworm

7ram 3likom guys , Japanese are the best Asians , they're the most polite , the most shy , and they're the CLEANEST . They do smile and they have a good sense of humor but only once they get to know you better ( they're a bit xenophobic )
I've never watched a japanese horror movie . Writersfreedom is there a website where to download these from ? Dont u have download links or something ?
Thank you

writersfreedom

writersfreedom

• Super Moderators
  • 5,369 posts

Well I watched most of them years ago and all of them on TV or DVD lol , and b4 I had a good connection to be able to download movies lol

But no problem sis I looked for them for you guys and these are the ones I found ^_^

Pulse :

Japanese Version :

Hidden Content
You'll be able to see the hidden content once you reply to this topic.

American Version , now the Americans made 3 movies out of Pulse :

Pulse :

Hidden Content

Pulse II :

Hidden Content

Pulse III :

Hidden Content

Ichi the Killer :

Japanese version with English subtitle :

Hidden Content

Audition :

Hidden Content

Suicide Club :

Japanese version in English :

Hidden Content

Suicide Club 2 :

Hidden Content

Akira :

Only a Japanese version was made of this movie so :

Hidden Content

Dark Water :

Hidden Content

American version :

Hidden Content

The Grudge :

I only found part one of the Japanese version so till I find the full movie here's the American versions :

The Grudge I :

Hidden Content

The Grudge II :

Hidden Content

The Grudge III :

Hidden Content

The Ring :

Hidden Content

Americans made two movies so :

The Ring I :

Hidden Content

The Ring II :

Hidden Content

All movies are in the best quality there is ;) and I will post the ones I didn't find once I do Insha'Allah smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Hidden Content

• Fatony and Sara like this

Sara

Sara
  • Girls
  • 578 posts

Current mood: Bookworm
aww thanks a lot sister , really appreciate it :hug:

writersfreedom

writersfreedom

• Super Moderators
  • 5,369 posts

Blla mziya khti , you're more than welcome smile

Fatony

Fatony

A Legal Algerian

• Super Moderators
  • 6,558 posts

Current mood: Cheerful Contributor
WF thanks for the links. so now i will add these to my weekend movie list.. including iron man 2

writersfreedom

writersfreedom

• Super Moderators
  • 5,369 posts

You're more than welcome Fato ^_^ and have fun .. let us know if iron man 2 is any good :D