• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

HaMzA

HaMzA
  • Members
  • 927 posts

Current mood:
hii guys...
i just have a small question: wich english is the best american or british?? i mean in pronunciation wich is the suitable and understandable in most places?
i have us accent...i dnt like british one they nasalize alot xD
......By Hamouz

Fatony

Fatony

A Legal Algerian

• Super Moderators
  • 6,558 posts

Current mood: Cheerful Contributor
british accent.. worst accent is jamaican!
There are people with experience and people with opinions. Listen to one, smile at the other.
Posted Image

Omeymaa

Omeymaa

Have faith...

• Girls
  • 1,330 posts

Current mood: Creative
British all the way !! :P , American just sounds sick (all offence :P)

Done is better than perfect.

Fatony

Fatony

A Legal Algerian

• Super Moderators
  • 6,558 posts

you gotta hate the canadian.. I dont know if they are crying or smiling.... "Staap Itttt"

γΝγΟ - Mohammed

γΝγΟ - Mohammed
  • Members
  • 496 posts

Current mood:
There are so many different accents in Britain, it really varies a lot. Some are easily understandable whoever you speak to, some are not. But they are all better than that whiny American accent!

check out this website its really good, it lets you hear the different accents from different parts of the UK. Listen to some of the scottish accents and tell me if you understand it

http://www.bl.uk/lea...unds/index.html
A day spent without learning is a day wasted

Beebo

Beebo
  • Admin
  • 6,655 posts

Current mood: Busy Contributor

you gotta hate the canadian.. I dont know if they are crying or smiling.... "Staap Itttt"

Ok mli7a hadi... ween sma3t el canadian enta bash tahder??

This is how 90% of Canadians speak... not sure what you on about dude.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS60w2vgAkM

On the other hand listen to how the brits talk... it's so choppy... tgoul rahi tgatte3 fil batata

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foTmwysvRxs

HAMZA... for a beginner who knows nothing about English language, British accent will really not help. I'll tell you why. The British eat up a lot of the letters when talking... just an example: when saying number 4 they completely ignore the R sound, which could be confusing. Also, they started to change words when speaking... for example, I think, they say I Fink.. Brother they say Bruva like what on earth are you doing?

Finally i repeat British, is verrrry choppy... but North American has a nice flow to it.. in the end it all goes down to preference.

WgxUpZ6.png

Fatony

Fatony

A Legal Algerian

• Super Moderators
  • 6,558 posts

Beebo, you're mixing the Cockney accent with the proper British accent.. Bruva and stuff - those are london immigrants who are on welfare with no life prospects (bit harsh I know). Dude you don't need to mix them up with the Majority.

But what I am saying is that it is not new that people laugh at the Canadian accent, like the lady said in the video... Americans, British, even Indians laugh at your accent. Tomaytoos

Beebo

Beebo
  • Admin
  • 6,655 posts

Current mood: Busy Contributor

But what I am saying is that it is not new that people laugh at the Canadian accent, like the lady said in the video... Americans, British, even Indians laugh at your accent. Tomaytoos

umm.. in the video labeled canadian accent, what word did she say throughout the whole video that sounded "weird".... same goes for canadians... you said I was generalizing with Cockney accent, same is happening, you're generalizing with Newfoundland's accent, which most pple in canada can barely understand let alone outside canada. That's why I said, 90% of canadians don't sound different from Americans.... except if you're part of the 10%

HaMzA

HaMzA
  • Members
  • 927 posts

Current mood:
http://www.bl.uk/lea...unds/index.html i checked the link that mohammed psoted and xD scotish accent :o wooow they are hicks lol xD they speak the R like our elderly speak it in french language
ummmmm british is :thumbdown: american is better :P

Apocalypse

Apocalypse

revolution

• Darja Gurus
  • 1,698 posts

Current mood: Procrastinating
Hamza, British is somehow highly rated in the world, especially in Algeria when it concerns academic purposes, so try to learn it, but for speaking, if you try to speak British you'll look like an India, so better use the American because it is much easier and simpler, then we usually watch American movies and ever since we learn American in a much easier way, you still have to learn the British, cuz once you start speaking British English fluently it wouls sound really nice, and don't worry about Fato, people usually think he's from Greece when he speaks English, lol (just kidding ;) )

Anyway, to be able to speak English like a native you have to forget about the R, replace Ts and sometimes Ks by the A, what is called the Glottal stop, like the famous phrase: little water in a bottle / li2l wa2e in e bo2l/ (notice I don't have the phonemic symbole, so I used the /e/ to replace "shwa", and /2/ to replace the Glottal stop symbol, there many tips that help you sound like a native, try using the following website, I have a teacher who advices this website to all his students, Effortless English

Anyway, the objective is to speak fluent and correct English, (just don't use the Australian) you can use the American and sound native but the one which is highly rated in the world is the British, especially for Academic purposes, I mean if you're applying for the position of a teacher and translator use the British, if you're applying for a vocational centre, where you have to call people to sell things, you better use the American English,

let's hope you understood all the confusing things I just said, take care,

Bye bye

Fatony

Fatony

A Legal Algerian

• Super Moderators
  • 6,558 posts

and don't worry about Fato, people usually think he's from Greece when he speaks English, lol (just kidding Posted Image )

Greece? more like Turkey.. I was told that I look like Muhannad

γΝγΟ - Mohammed

γΝγΟ - Mohammed
  • Members
  • 496 posts

Current mood:

http://www.bl.uk/lea...unds/index.html i checked the link that mohammed psoted and xD scotish accent :o wooow they are hicks lol xD they speak the R like our elderly speak it in french language
ummmmm british is :thumbdown: american is better :P

The link was to show the diversity of accents in the UK and how they are infinitely better in every possible way to all american accents :whistling:.

Anyway, to be able to speak English like a native you have to forget about the R, replace Ts and sometimes Ks by the A, what is called the Glottal stop, like the famous phrase: little water in a bottle / li2l wa2e in e bo2l/ (notice I don't have the phonemic symbole, so I used the /e/ to replace "shwa", and /2/ to replace the Glottal stop symbol, there many tips that help you sound like a native, try using the following website, I have a teacher who advices this website to all his students, Effortless English

Not really, thats only if your a cockney (parts of london). Few natives speak like that.

Snow White Queen

Snow White Queen
  • Girls
  • 299 posts

Current mood: Torn
personally i prefer american english,hate the british accent that it sounds haughty or more artificial ,the american sounds more natural,it is just the way how do i feel about it
cheers!

Fatony

Fatony

A Legal Algerian

• Super Moderators
  • 6,558 posts

Boooo Posted Image

bentAljazair

bentAljazair
  • Girls
  • 989 posts

Current mood:

hii guys...
i just have a small question: wich english is the best american or british?? i mean in pronunciation wich is the suitable and understandable in most places?
i have us accent...i dnt like british one they nasalize alot xD

salam

The best is algerian english!!! yeah I think there are a lot of different accents jamaican, indians and pakistani so why not have our own instead of imitating other's.

Anyway to answer your question I'd say british english is the bbc accent and the american english is the one you hear on VOA. I prefer the bbc accent especially after I heard the american accent from Texas ya lateef Posted Image

So algerian accent all the way !!!
NEVER FORGET GAZA - NEVER FORGIVE ZIONISTS - BOYCOTT ISRAEL

γΝγΟ - Mohammed

γΝγΟ - Mohammed
  • Members
  • 496 posts

Current mood:
Thats a very diplomatic response bentAljazair

english wife

english wife
  • Girls
  • 71 posts

Current mood: Cold

salam

The best is algerian english!!! yeah I think there are a lot of different accents jamaican, indians and pakistani so why not have our own instead of imitating other's.

Anyway to answer your question I'd say british english is the bbc accent and the american english is the one you hear on VOA. I prefer the bbc accent especially after I heard the american accent from Texas ya lateef Posted Image

So algerian accent all the way !!!

I 've enjoyed reading this thread very much..As a Brit of course I'll say British English is the best ,as long as it is used correctly..if my daughter used a glottal stop I'd tell her off !

But when I met hubby his Algerian accent speaking english was actually very attractive! :blush:

wise-man001

wise-man001
  • Members
  • 461 posts

Current mood: Fine
salam

How about Ze FRench engleesh lol

it's always funny to hear them

Believe me, it's actually funnier to hear them in real life
  • Omeymaa likes this
Be the change you want to see in the world.

english wife

english wife
  • Girls
  • 71 posts

Current mood: Cold
To british ears a frenchman speaking english sounds gorgeous...even though to his countryman he may have a strong local accent which they find funny . We just can't tell the difference......Par example- when hubby and I watch (usually american)
films with Arab characters, he can't resist saying..'this one is Syrian..that one is Egyptian' etc, especially if the film is set in Africa and they are all supposed to be Moroccan.. of course I have no idea and tell him to shut up and watch the film.... Similarly he can't hear the difference between Irish and Scots..
Ultimately if we can all communicate with each other it doesn't matter. smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Omeymaa

Omeymaa

Have faith...

• Girls
  • 1,330 posts

Current mood: Creative
French are amazing at English, they cheer me up all the time..is zere any wateR in the Robinet? :P with the french R's lol.