7 replies to this topic

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
http://moroccanfood....emen_recipe.htm

This is a recipe for the dough used to make msemen. The dough is kneaded like bread dough until soft and smooth.

How to Fold and Make Msemen will show you how to flatten portions of the dough and fold them into squares. Frying the dough in a pan yields a layered pancake or flatbread that is crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside.

The recipe below uses a little semolina flour for texture and taste. The use of semolina is a matter of personal preference. Substitute more semolina for the white flour if you like a coarser texture. Or, you can omit the semolina entirely. Yield: Approximately 20 msemen (4" square)

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 60 minutes

Ingredients:
  • 3 1/2 cups flour (340 g)
  • 1/2 cup fine semolina (90g)
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon yeast
  • 1 1/2 cups warm water (approx. 1/3 liter)
  • For folding and cooking the msemen:
  • 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup fine semolina
  • 1/4 cup very soft unsalted butter
Preparation:
Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl.

Add 1 1/2 cups of warm water, and mix to form a dough. Add more water if necessary to make a dough that is soft and easy to knead, but not sticky. If the dough is too sticky to handle, add a little flour one tablespoon at a time.

Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and knead by hand for 10 minutes, (or knead the dough in a stand mixer with dough hook for 5 minutes), until the dough is very smooth and elastic.

Proceed with folding and cooking the dough. See How to Fold and Make Msemen.

Serving Suggestions:
Serve the msemen plain, with butter and honey, or jam. <li>To make a syrup from butter and honey, simply melt equal portions of butter and honey in a pan until hot and bubbly. Carefully and quickly dip the msemen in the syrup and place on a serving platter.

Msemen Recipe - Square-Shaped Moroccan Pancakes (Rghaif)
:

Posted Image
Truly, to Allaah we belong and truly, to Him we shall return

Posted Image

Fatony

Fatony

A Legal Algerian

• Super Moderators
  • 6,558 posts

Current mood: Cheerful Contributor
msemen is not morrocan.. it's Algerian...
Whilst i believe the recipe is easy to follow from the thread, rolling the dough and baking it is something you ough to learn from someone...
I love msemen in the morning esp with honey smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

thanks for this
There are people with experience and people with opinions. Listen to one, smile at the other.
Posted Image

Amina

Amina
  • Girls
  • 1,356 posts

Current mood: Tired
Thank you Jannah,
I just want to notice that in some places we call it m3arek ..

I agree with fatony , you really need an extra course and some experience to succeed to do it , the kneading step needs muscles :boxing:
من كل بستان زهرة, من كل سماء نجمة و من كل بحر لؤلؤة

Narjis

Narjis
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Current mood: Busy
Assalaam alaykoum to all.

I found this same recipe sight and I agree with Fatony, it is Algerian not Moroccan! Posted Image My Algerian husband and I are diabetic, so the dipping in syrup doesn't go over well with us. I made a little American tweek on the recipe and it turned out so so nice. I changed the water to 3/4 cup scalded milk and 3/4 cup cold water. I added the cold water after scalding the milk to lower the temperature so as to not kill the yeast. I also increased the yeast to 1 teaspoon. After mixing and kneading the dough, I let it raise covered in a warm place until it doubled in size. Then I proceeded to form the balls of dough. When it came to the folding, after dotting with softened butter, I sprinkled it with a mixture of 1/2 cup fine semolina, 2 teaspoons of granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. The result is a not quite so chewy msemen that is only slightly sweet, and perfect with coffee or tea. Americans and Algerians go well together. LOL Posted Image

~ Pamela ~ Narjis ~

~ Mme. Aissaoui ~

أنا نرجس ، زوجة عيساوي عبدالحق

Fatony

Fatony

A Legal Algerian

• Super Moderators
  • 6,558 posts

Current mood: Cheerful Contributor

Assalaam alaykoum to all.

I found this same recipe sight and I agree with Fatony, it is Algerian not Moroccan! Posted Image My Algerian husband and I are diabetic, so the dipping in syrup doesn't go over well with us. I made a little American tweek on the recipe and it turned out so so nice. I changed the water to 3/4 cup scalded milk and 3/4 cup cold water. I added the cold water after scalding the milk to lower the temperature so as to not kill the yeast. I also increased the yeast to 1 teaspoon. After mixing and kneading the dough, I let it raise covered in a warm place until it doubled in size. Then I proceeded to form the balls of dough. When it came to the folding, after dotting with softened butter, I sprinkled it with a mixture of 1/2 cup fine semolina, 2 teaspoons of granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. The result is a not quite so chewy msemen that is only slightly sweet, and perfect with coffee or tea. Americans and Algerians go well together. LOL Posted Image

You just gave Macdonald's their next Arabica Twister recipe lol.
You know I wanna try it with nutella and see how that would come out.

Omeymaa

Omeymaa

Have faith...

• Girls
  • 1,330 posts

Current mood: Creative

Too bad already done, tastes really nice. Peanut Butter and Nutella together go really well too.

Done is better than perfect.

The Big Algeria

The Big Algeria
  • Members
  • 556 posts

Current mood: Balanced
I love msemen :D

Narjis

Narjis
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Current mood: Busy

You just gave Macdonald's their next Arabica Twister recipe lol.

Posted Image
LOL Fatony, you are too funny sometimes. Maybe I will try it with nutella. I'll let you know how it goes. My husband was pleasantly surprised when he tried my Americanized Msemen.