• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Snow White Queen

Snow White Queen
  • Girls
  • 299 posts

Current mood: Torn
Salaaaam ,hope that everyone is enjoying his time
I don't know if i am posting the topic in the right section but i really can't choose a good topic for my memoire nxt year inchAllah,i mean what's worth reading and could be a good theme to be tackled,i wz thinking about a topic within a literary scope,but still couldn't make up my mind :(
i would be certainly more than grateful if you forwarded any ideas ,

Apocalypse

Apocalypse

revolution

• Darja Gurus
  • 1,698 posts

Current mood: Procrastinating
Well it depends on which kind of literature you had so far, you said that you had African literature classes, so maybe it will be good to tackle a subject within postcolonialism and African or Asian Literature (third world writers), something about the impact of colonialim and hybrid generations, to which culture do they belong? the mother culture or the Western culture? like Things Fall Apart, of course the list is longer
Or Modern American literature, that of the 1930s and 1940s, black writing related to Jazz and Blues, I think Lilia knows more about that
It also depends on the topics delt with at your University, check them and try to come out with something new and different,,, what does your syllabus contain?

or you can do a comparison, between two works, tackling the same topic but with different backgrounds, for example a novel about black suffering in the US and black suffering in Africa, or colonialism in Africa and colonialism in Asia (India, Pakistan)
Or Feminism between a 19th century novel (the Brontes who were looked at as very strong feminists of their time) and a feminist novel of the 1950s or 60s, with a different trend of feminism, which allows you to highlight the state of feminism within two centuries

My supervisor had proposed to my friend and I a nice topic which we didn't take and I still regret it, about the Novel "Passage to India" and he said we could discuss the prejiduces and the way Islam and Muslims are looked at in a Western society

This is all I can think about for now,,, If I ever think about sth else I'd tell u about it

Good luck

• writersfreedom and Snow White Queen like this

writersfreedom

writersfreedom

The Beauty and The Prince

• Super Moderators
  • 5,369 posts

Current mood: Cheerful
:salaam:

One of my Favourite Books is ''Little Women'' , it talks about many subjects at once , Also how about writing about literature belonging to different countries, e.g American literature, African-American literature , African literature , British literature , Arab/Muslim literature , Indian writings in English, etc. Literature is often a reflection of the society, so the literature of a particular country will be the reflection of its traditions, customs, views.

Bitawfeeq Insha'Allah ^_^

What can my enemies possibly do to me? My paradise is in my heart; wherever I go it goes with me, insepa­rable from me. For me, prison is a place of (religious) retreat; ex­ecution is my opportunity for martyrdom; and exile from my town is but a chance to travel ......

Posted Image

abdel

abdel
  • Members
  • 748 posts

Current mood: Sleepy
Good luck Sister

O刀乇 イ₩O イけ尺乇乇 √ノ√ム し'ムしE乇尺ノ乇

Snow White Queen

Snow White Queen
  • Girls
  • 299 posts

Current mood: Torn
awww,thank u to all of u guys,it wz really nice of all of u ^_^ ,and yeah Merium i thought about taking the theme of Passage to India as the a core for the memoire,and what really good about it that we can represnt our point of view since it is mainly about the possibility of friendship between the British and Indians who were supposed to be Muslims,but the idea wz already taken ,and the teacher told me that it would be pointless if i am gonna take it then i will be just paraphrasing what the others have already said ,the idea of Feminism of both centries seems totally new to me though ,i doubt that anyone has thought about it be4 ;)

One of my Favourite Books is ''Little Women''

sounds intersting,really !, here is another book for my summer list(it is getting longer)

Good luck Sister

thank u khoya ^_^

Apocalypse

Apocalypse

revolution

• Darja Gurus
  • 1,698 posts

cool, if u ever need any material regarding feminism you know where u can find me ;)

regarding the book proposed by writersfreedom, that is 19th century feminine literature, something you can easily work on but most students tackle 19th century issues, those of women against society, prejiduces, class and gender, except if you can come out with a new idea, for example the fact that Robinson Crusoe is the first seed of colonialism in literature, in a way, it does promote for the colonial ideology, that of civilizing the Africans is "the white man's burden"
if you find a way to use 19th century novels in analysing modern issues, it will be very innovative.

You can also try to tackle issues by Shakespeare, since he is said to be very comprehensive in his writing, most critics say that Shakespeare talked about all the literary issues tackled today, so you can find everything in his literature (I haven't checked that yet, I guess working on that can be a little difficult but it still depends on your teachers and what you have studied)

you can still work on symbolism in a particular novel, Heart of Darkness is full of symbolism, but that topic might have been treated many times before

James Joyce's Dubliners is also full of Symbolism and it is a wonderful novel, comprising 15 short stories

Or you can tackle the role of Women in any particular novel, you always find something useful in this topic, you would have plenty of things to talk about if u study Little Women, but also any other novel, example Arthur Miller's After the Fall, relating women to politics,,, How the author despises the women who have been in his life, how each of them contributed in making his life difficult, but also these women stand for political streams, so u can discuss women as political ideologies, politics disturbing a man's life embodied in female characters or the impact of the cold war on an American man

Apocalypse

Apocalypse

revolution

• Darja Gurus
  • 1,698 posts

I forgot to tell you that you will be studying Heart of Darkness and Dubliners next year, (the fourth year) in the Seminar of Literature (this class might have a different name in your university)
Also, you can work on poetry, T.S Eliot's is the best and the easiest, the most interesting as well, he has a whole theory of poetry, I can also e-mail you some books regarding T.S Eliot's Poetry and poetry of the 20th century as whole if interested. :D

touta

touta
  • Girls
  • 842 posts

Current mood: Depressed
thanks for the suggestions ladies !!

well when it comes to me , i would like to read in a memoir for example the difference between the American literature and the African literature! or maybe the English literature , how it affected the American literature, you know stuff like that. Because we tackled in UNI all the 3 of them but we never went deep to the differences or how every one of them developed through the years you know!! it would be an amazing subject.
or maybe you can go through only one literature , how did it start? with whom? when ? and all that and most important why it is the way it is today! talk about the most important books in that literature and use some important comments from people and so on!

this is all what came into my mind for now , but i think you can go through our suggestions and maybe it will help you came out with a subject of your own!!
just let us know what is it lol

good luck sister
salam

i thought using some colours won't harm me !!! lol
:lol: laughing is good but not all the time ;)