♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
Phonetic Alphabet

Posted Image

While you're practising and learning your speaking and listening skills, you may find, especially on the phone difficulty understanding others or others understanding you, this could be down to a bad phone line, too much background noise, speaking too quickly, unfamiliar words or accent. Many English speakers can have the same problem with each other, don't worry! So there are times a phonetic alphabet becomes very handy.
  • writersfreedom and Lilia like this
Truly, to Allaah we belong and truly, to Him we shall return

Posted Image

writersfreedom

writersfreedom

The Beauty and The Prince

• Super Moderators
  • 5,369 posts

Current mood: Cheerful
:salaam:

Thanks Jannah , I always hear English students complaining abt how difficult Phonetic is , they all seem to hate it for some reason :D

~~ Peace out ~~
What can my enemies possibly do to me? My paradise is in my heart; wherever I go it goes with me, insepa­rable from me. For me, prison is a place of (religious) retreat; ex­ecution is my opportunity for martyrdom; and exile from my town is but a chance to travel ......

Posted Image

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
Well many people working in jobs where dealing with people on the phone is a big factor, have to use them. It sounds much more professional than when people make things up, I've heard people say things like, "m" for mother and "f" for Ferrari lol! They teach it to people doing phone helplines, like in India I've noticed. I've worked in positions where I've had to deal with people on the phone and some accents are really difficult to understand, even when you ask them to repeat slowly please!

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
Oh and it's particularly useful for getting the correct spelling of people's names. In business it doesn't look professional to spell client's names incorrectly!

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
I changed from the original link to an image I found with morse code, so we can see it ;)

Ozzy

Ozzy

Think different™ 

• Moderators
  • 1,550 posts

Current mood: Inspired
OSCAR _ _ _
ZULU _ _ . .
ZULU _ _ . .
YANKEE _ . _ _

ROMEO . _ .
ECHO .
PAPA . _ _ .
OSCAR _ _ _
ROMEO . _ .
TANGO _
INDIA . .
NOVEMBER _ .
GOLF _ _ .

FOXTROT . . _ .
OSCAR _ _ _
ROMEO . _ .

DELTA _ . .
UNIFORM . . _
TANGO _
YANKEE _ . _ _

Lilia

Lilia

Lilia

• Super Moderators
  • 1,507 posts

Current mood: Cloud 9 Contributor
salam
Sorry, but i don't get it? How is this phonetic alphabet supposed to help us? especially the Maurice code :huh:
when i saw the title i thought it was about phonetic transcriptions that we studied in college.
Posted Image

Ozzy

Ozzy

Think different™ 

• Moderators
  • 1,550 posts

Current mood: Inspired

salam
Sorry, but i don't get it? How is this phonetic alphabet supposed to help us? especially the Maurice code :huh:
when i saw the title i thought it was about phonetic transcriptions that we studied in college.

LOL @ Maurice Code, haha!
Basically in the professional world, you'll find a lot of the time that the phonetic alphabet is used.
How it's useful is, for example:

B, C, D, E, G, P, T, V, Z (Depending on if you pronounce it as Zee)

All those letters above, when said quickly or over a phone or radio sound the same or very similar.
To help eradicate all the confusion, people use the phonetic alphabet to sometimes spell things out such as their names.

O SCAR
Z ULU
Z ULU
Y ANKEE

This is also very commonly used with the Police when reporting something such as a number plate on a car, for example:

G OLF
B RAVO

X RAY
Y ANKEE
Z ULU

I hope I don't sound patronising, I just wanted to explain it as best as I could.
I hope that helped, Insha'Allah.
  • Lilia likes this

Lilia

Lilia

Lilia

• Super Moderators
  • 1,507 posts

Current mood: Cloud 9 Contributor

LOL @ Maurice Code, haha!

Oh my God! may be i should get glasses :D

I hope I don't sound patronising, I just wanted to explain it as best as I could.I hope that helped, Insha'Allah.

Not at all, i get it know.. it's to help us specify what letter we're talking about.. my mum uses it with French words.
Thanks for explaining ^_^

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
Did you read my tip Lilia about "I" when referring to oneself should be in capitals?
"i get it now"

Tip number one in fact! ;)
http://forum.e-dz.co...age__pid__65381

It will especially help when getting accustomed to strong accents. I've worked alongside people who's first language is not English and they found listening to accented people very difficult and if the person wanted to leave a message you need to write their details, spell their name etc.
  • Lilia likes this