• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
As explained in the Idiom for the Day Thread, until there are separate subforums, I'll post them here.

So the first slang word is "sack"

There are a few meanings for sack, so I'm going to stick to the main ones.

Sack = bed

"I was so tired all I wanted to do was hit the sack "

Meaning go to bed

"Oh hi mom! Thanks for calling, yes I know you think I'm lazy because I'm still in the sack!"
  • BookLover likes this
Truly, to Allaah we belong and truly, to Him we shall return

Posted Image

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
Sack = losing your job

"They were handing out redundancies and I got the sack!"

"Hey there's Myriam, they gave her the sack when she failed to turn up for work on time for a week!"

"If you fail to pull yourself together and do your work properly you may be facing the sack young lady!"

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
"Spuds" is a pretty well known slang word for potatoes. It's not really needed to put it into a sentence. Just swap the word potatoes for spud or spuds. Some other words used for potatoes are "tatties", this word is mainly associated with Scotland and pronounced tat-ees. Another word for potatoes is "tatas", pronounced tate-us with a soft "s" on the end, not a hissy "s"
  • BookLover likes this

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
"Ming", "mings", "minging", "minger"; I believe we only use this in the UK. It means something or someone is disgusting.

Oh your feet are really minging!

That bin mings!

Oh I think Brad Pitt's a minger!

ummadina

ummadina
  • Girls
  • 168 posts

Current mood: Creative

"Ming", "mings", "minging", "minger"; I believe we only use this in the UK. It means something or someone is disgusting.

Oh your feet are really minging!

That bin mings!

I don't know why but I absolutely hate that slang word :unsure:
Shaqiq said "Weeping over past (misdeeds), being afraid of perpetrating a sin again, forsaking the company of evildoers, and adhering to the company of righteousness - these are the hallmarks of a (sincere) repentence."

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
I'm not fond of it either, it's rough sounding

- Mohammed

- Mohammed
  • Members
  • 496 posts

Current mood:
I only ever hear that word from chavs. Or people imitating chavs.

A day spent without learning is a day wasted

writersfreedom

writersfreedom

The Beauty and The Prince

• Super Moderators
  • 5,369 posts

Current mood: Cheerful
:salaam:

Agreed! In your Face Ozzy Haha! :P

~~~ Peace out ~~~

What can my enemies possibly do to me? My paradise is in my heart; wherever I go it goes with me, insepa­rable from me. For me, prison is a place of (religious) retreat; ex­ecution is my opportunity for martyrdom; and exile from my town is but a chance to travel ......

Posted Image

Ozzy

Ozzy

Think different 

• Moderators
  • 1,550 posts

Current mood: Inspired
Just because he's a so-called "minger" doesn't mean he's a bad actor so no, not in my face lol.
  • BookLover likes this

Omeymaa

Omeymaa

Have faith...

• Girls
  • 1,330 posts

Current mood: Creative
lool at chavs..I miss them man lmao..they don't have chavs in here..nor scallys :D

Done is better than perfect.

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:

lool at chavs..I miss them man lmao..they don't have chavs in here..nor scallys :D

I think you should explain "scally" for everyone ;) quite a northern expression (northern England)

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
"cuppa" people in the UK often use this shortened hybrid of cup of tea, it's well known and used daily by many British people. Tea is a big part of most British people's life, usually drunk quite strong with milk, everyone has their preferences though and people can be very particular on strength, brand, how much milk, colour...it's usually the typical thing you're offered on entering someone's home although coffee has become increasingly popular

"I'd kill for a cuppa"

"fancy popping in for a cuppa?"

english wife

english wife
  • Girls
  • 71 posts

Current mood: Cold

"cuppa" people in the UK often use this shortened hybrid of cup of tea, it's well known and used daily by many British people. Tea is a big part of most British people's life, usually drunk quite strong with milk, everyone has their preferences though and people can be very particular on strength, brand, how much milk, colour...it's usually the typical thing you're offered on entering someone's home although coffee has become increasingly popular

"I'd kill for a cuppa"

"fancy popping in for a cuppa?"

If like me,you're from the North,you might call a cuppa a BREW;

most evenings in the middle of TV watching during my childhood my dad would announce to my mother ''I'll 'ave a brew...''
and the daft woman would get up and make it..I vowed not to be like that and to let any future hubby make his own. That backfired when Mr.Seghni was quite happy to get his own,but never offered to make me one ! <_<

english wife

english wife
  • Girls
  • 71 posts

Current mood: Cold

I don't know why but I absolutely hate that slang word :unsure:

I hate it too-it has only become popular in the last few years,and if I heard my daughter using it I'd be appalled...it sounds so common.(as in low-class)

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
I was specifically talking "Welsh-isms" although "butty" is also used for "sarnie" or sandwich also, "butty" is also Welsh word for mate or friend. It was used I think before the word became commonly known for a sandwich, the sandwich usage came about through the use of butter in the sandwich, it also isn't a high class slang, I think most slang is working class. The disliked ones may be better referred to as vulgar or coarse yes, not polite