♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
http://www.magharebi...9/22/feature-03

Algerians develop taste for cookbooks
2010-09-22

Cookbook sales are spiking in Algeria. From young brides to retired old men, Algerians are eager to try home-made "haute cuisine".

By Mohand Ouali for Magharebia in Algiers – 22/09/10

Posted Image [Mohand Ouali] Bookstores in Algeria are seeing brisk business from cookbook sales.

The cookbook craze begun during Ramadan shows no sign of slowing. Algerians see innovative home cooking as a way to help lower household finances and please finicky families.

"Every day I have to think about the menu I'm going to prepare, and it's not at all easy," Souhila told Magharebia in an Algiers bookshop. She is looking for culinary inspiration and recipe suggestions.

"My children, and particularly my husband, have become more demanding over time, and they're no longer happy just to stick to the standard menus," she explained.

Samiha, a management secretary, admits that cooking is not her forte, with or without cookbooks. She laughs as she talks about her trials and tribulations when she lived with her in-laws for a few years:

"It was awful. Particularly because of my brother-in-law, who'd start wailing if he saw me in the kitchen!" she says.

Everyone has been bitten by the cooking bug. Newspapers, radio stations, television channels and websites offer cooking resources and recipe competitions. Agribusinesses have also jumped on the bandwagon, printing simple recipes on their packaging.

Cookbooks are still the most popular choice.

"My daughter-in-law doesn't know how to cook without these books," one elderly woman said dismissively.

Many Algerian women, with their new urban lifestyles, admit that they lack the culinary skills common to older generations. But young Algerians say that their interest in cookbooks shows that they are both better educated and less afraid of new things than their predecessors.

Publishers have been quick to capitalise on the trend. Since hardcover editions can cost several thousand dinars, publishers began issuing recipe collections in paperback form.

The marketing strategy appears to be working.

"Cookery books are selling like hot cakes, so of course we're delighted!" said a sales assistant in the Errachidia bookshop. Another bookstore in the city centre said cookbooks are the top-selling category.

Samiha, a public sector worker, is shopping for a particular favourite.

"I've just come here to buy some 'Samira' books, with a wide variety of recipes. The ones I bought a few years ago have gone out of print now."

Chahinez, in her forties, had a twinkle in her eye as she told Magharebia, "I love cooking!" She has a good collection of cookbooks, she explained, since she has no internet at home.

"I would like to try my hand at different things, but I stick to Algerian and Middle-Eastern cuisine. I've never ventured into Mexican dishes, for example, but I'm tempted to give French food a go," she added.

It's not just women who are eager to experiment with culinary adventures.

Mohamed, recently retired, now has all the time in the world to indulge in his favourite hobby.

"I go round the old market in Algiers in the early afternoon, to buy what I need," he tells Magharebia. Having travelled and worked in many countries, he is eager to explain in exhaustive detail exactly how he prepares exotic dishes which only he seems to know.

Cooking enthusiasts, meanwhile, say that everyone can join in the fun. They have a suggestion for aspiring chefs who cannot go online or afford fancy cookbooks: why not ask a neighbour or colleague what they plan to simmer on the stove?

Swapping ideas, they say, is a real recipe for success.

• bookeeper and bookmanager like this
Truly, to Allaah we belong and truly, to Him we shall return

Posted Image

Omeymaa

Omeymaa

Have faith...

• Girls
  • 1,330 posts

Current mood: Creative
But its always better to have an older person e.g. ur grandma to teach you...you learn faster..
  • touta likes this

Done is better than perfect.

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
Sometimes people don't have that option ;) some things I think you need someone showing you like mhajeb! I'm really forgetful when I'm cooking and I prefer to have recipe there even when I know what I'm doing to remind myself to add things, like having a shopping list ;) but I know ladies over here like having cook books brought them because either they're young and not had to cook properly before or it's to keep up with the new fashion of The chefs there. I keep asking but nobody brings me :(

writersfreedom

writersfreedom

The Beauty and The Prince

• Super Moderators
  • 5,369 posts

Current mood: Cheerful
:salaam:

Yeah, I don't buy cookbooks, I have my Great-Grandmother's recipe books and notes [Family recipes....Top secret :P ] , she left them all to me which was very nice of her cuz my Grandmother doesn't like cooking lol, but my Great-Grandmother is such a Great Cook, she used to always cook for us when we were in Belgium..she was a really Amazing Cook, and she's the one my Mother Learned from. The only problem is that am more like my Grandmother lol.

But yes cookbooks are very popular here indeed.

~~~ Peace out ~~~

What can my enemies possibly do to me? My paradise is in my heart; wherever I go it goes with me, insepa­rable from me. For me, prison is a place of (religious) retreat; ex­ecution is my opportunity for martyrdom; and exile from my town is but a chance to travel ......

Posted Image

touta

touta
  • Girls
  • 842 posts

Current mood: Depressed
well , these days i am cooking everyday, when my mam is not around the house i used to cook, but that used to last 1 pr 2 days top. Now she's absent for almost two weeks , believe me , cook books are not all useful some of them are just crappy stuff smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':S' /> i prefer putting everything i have around on fire :P that would make a good common recipe :P

PS: my favorite cookbooks are Samira's , Amazing ^^

:lol: laughing is good but not all the time ;)

Omeymaa

Omeymaa

Have faith...

• Girls
  • 1,330 posts

Current mood: Creative
Omg mhajeb!! this summer I burned my hand doing those..and algerian bread too..my grandma started laughing at me because I had to flip the bread with a cloth because it was too hot :D

Ohh btw I have 1 or 2 cooking books in French-Arabic..Maybe we should start a topic and post all of them it..What do you think ? :D

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:
That would be brilliant because i don't have a great grandmother or grandmother or anyone to get this stuff from smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':S' /> but I had thought although we have the thread to download books, and some of the ladies here were helping translate one of them because it was in Arabic and I can't translate that (which incidently was never finished!) I thought maybe another thread for translated recipes, or a thread each for certain well known chefs like Samira, Leila etc etc. But please share, I always try to!