Change
Photo

!st cousins, 2nd cousins, 1st cousin once removed...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

♥JaNNaH♥

♥JaNNaH♥

Honorary Algerian

• Moderators
  • 5,092 posts

Current mood:

Ok even I'm confused by this so...

"1st cousins are children of siblings. They have a common set of grandparents.

Their children are children of cousins, and are 2nd cousins. they have a common set of great-grandparents.

THEIR children are children of children of cousins, and are 3rd cousins, who share a common set of great great great grandparents.

The numbering of cousins is how many generations away from the siblings the related cousins are, assuming that they are in the same generation. For instance, the 3rd cousins mentioned above share the same great great grandfather.

The removed stuff is a little tricky, but here's how it works.

Let's say that A and B are cousins. A has a child, @. @ is a 1st cousin once removed to B. That is, @ is the child of B's cousin, and is one generation removed from B, therefore @ is a 1st cousin once removed. @'s children will be 1st cousins twice removed to B.

All of this is much easier if you draw out a family tree. Really we seldom see the removed stuff until we start dealing with rather distant relatives or big family reunions.

Here's a tougher example -

I recently contacted a person in my family tree who I only found about a week ago. She is the granddaughter of my Great Great Great grandfather. (That's 3x great grandfather.) How am I related to her?

First, I look up my line of the family tree to find a relative in the same generation. My great grandfather was in fact her cousin, since they share the same grandparents. I am three generations down from my great grandfather. Therefore, to this new relative, I am a 1st cousin 3 times removed.

Most genealogy programs will calculate this for you, btw.
"

Posted Image

"In kinship terminology, a cousin is a relative with whom one shares a common ancestor (or ancestors). In modern usage, the term is rarely used when referring to a relative in one's own line of descent, or where there is a more specific term to describe the relationship: e.g., brother, sister, aunt, uncle. The term blood relative can be used synonymously, and underlines the existence of a genetic link. A system of degrees and removals is used to describe the relationship between the two cousins and the ancestor they have in common.The degree (first, second, third cousin, etc.) indicates one less than the minimum number of generations between both cousins and the nearest common ancestor. For example, a person with whom one shares a grandparent (but not a parent) is a first cousin; someone with whom one shares a great-grandparent (but not a grandparent) is a second cousin; and someone with whom one shares a great-great-grandparent (but not a great-grandparent) is a third cousin; and so on.

The removal (once removed, twice removed, etc.) indicates the number of generations, if any, separating the two cousins from each other. The child of one's first cousin is one's first cousin once removed because the one generation separation represents one removal. Oneself and the child are still considered first cousins, as one's grandparent (this child's great-grandparent), as the most recent common ancestor, represents one degree. Equally the child of one's great (also known as "grand")-aunt or uncle (who is one's parent's cousin) is one's first cousin once removed because their grandparent (one's own great-grandparent) is the most recent common ancestor.

Non-genealogical usage often eliminates the degrees and removals, and refers to people with common ancestors merely as cousins or distant cousins. Alternatively, the terms 'second cousin' and 'first cousin once removed' are often incorrectly used interchangeably.[1]

The system can handle kinships going back any number of generations (subject to the genealogical information being available). " Taken from Wiki

Truly, to Allaah we belong and truly, to Him we shall return

Posted Image

Sosso

Sosso
  • Girls
  • 256 posts

Current mood: Pensive
Try Figuring this out then! LOL
Obama is related to 6 american presidents...Coincidence? I THINK NOT!

Posted Image