• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Snow White Queen

Snow White Queen
  • Girls
  • 299 posts

Current mood: Torn
salam everyone! how is life?
i have a representation in American lit next week where i am supposed to discuss the theme "The American idesntity",today when i was talking to my teacherI had an interesting talk with him about immigration and integration of different cultures. His key misconception was over the idea that America is all about the “melting pot,” where all cultures are mixed together into one.
In particular, we learned that the melting pot (yep, there’s even a Wikipedia entry on the origins of it) was an outdated metaphor for what Americans were supposed to be. In a melting pot, everyone was mixed together to become one single thing, all Americans — and perhaps without retaining your origins.,yet a closer view and we will know something very diffrent
America is actually not a 'melting pot'. America is a 'salad bowl'. A melting pot implies that people who come into the society assimilate and adopt the standard of their new adopted society, contributing something along the way. A salad bowl implies that you hold onto your culture even after you arrive, and don't take on the characteristics of the new society, so that you have a mixture of a lot of different things, but you can still tell them apart like in a salad.
so what do you think of this,???
does really America accept anyone regadless of his race,religion.culture ....etc
if so,what's your proof
if noo justify your answer
please illustrate with examples

Sosso

Sosso
  • Girls
  • 256 posts

Current mood: Pensive
Canada is more like a Salad Bowl, a cultural mosaic. We still see frontiers between white canadians and immigrants....America is a real melting pot! In a melting pot, you keep your culture which in its turn will help shape the american culture. But in return your culture and race contribute positively to the growth of americana. Being American starts off with being born in America or by simply having the green card...Sure some people choose to assimilate, and thats their choice....But nothing will make you assimilate. You can dress however you want, eat whatever you want (I mean! We know that USA doesnt have much of a culinary culture and so our different migrant cultures helped a lot in developping this aspect...or the music...or the scientific researches).

Never or rarely will you hear an american telling an american born to leave the country (except the Mexicans lol because of illegal immigration). Now those images in which you see a Bunch of redneck hicks screaming that arabs are terrorists and what not represent a minority of uneducated americans. Dont Base your Opinion of Americans on Fox News....
The media plays a role in wanting people to hate americans and present them as a bunch of lazy free-loaders (which is far from the truth....Americans are hard working, they believe in reaping what you sow...Thats why they are Number 1).

Americans are proud of their mixed culture...It is their acceptance for a melting pot that sent them to the top. Every race and culture brings its seasoning to the mix. Weither it be ingeniers or atheletes, everybody is american (obviously as long as you contribute positively to the American society)). NEVER IN AMERICA WILL THEY BAN HIDJAB! Americans arent afraid of God (In God We Trust, God Bless America....). The American Constitution is the Real First Freedom Of Human Rights instrument (It was definetly not the French declaration of independance). Nothing in that constitution tells people to assimilate. I strongly suggest reading it.

Also, the Cold War reinforced the USA's desire to get everybody on their side and thinking like them. So they made sure that they were friendly and helpful to everyone to show that the american way of life is suitable for everybody contrary to communism.

Personally, Ive lived in Texas (Hicks Town lol I Kid) and I gotta say people where waaaay more courtious, friendly, warm then people in Quebec. They didnt a flying rat's butt about race and culture, as long as your polite and friendly.

Now the War Is Between the American Governement and Its Citizens (no matter the race). The governement is infriging on the constitution and rights of americans, but its not a question of racism, but a question of Population Control.

But I know for a fact that americans accept people no matter their race or religion. Even those ignorant ones that spent their time watching Fox News, will still be able to have a polite conversation. They may not agree with you, but they will not tell you to go back home if you dont like it here (something Ive heard Oh so many times in Good Old Quebec). Quebecers are scared that foreign cultures will take over and make theirs disappear. But Americans are confident about their culture (they've spent millions on creating the American Identity...The CIA played an important role in that. Canada on the other hand still doesnt have that clear cut identity), they are not afraid of loosing it, they believe that they can only gain from other cultures. You Wanna live like a hippie? Like a Mormon? Like a Quaker? YOU ARE FREEEEE! GOOOO DO WHAT YOU WANT (just no crimes please).
Take for instance the Italian Community...they still keep their cultural values (family honor food lol) and they have been and still are a very important part of the USA socially and economically, or the Irish Community and St-Patty's day, Or the African American Community now have the KWanza, There's the NCAAP...everyone is part of america...The Culture you bring helps built a better america that will appeal to more and more people.

No matter what I think of the american governements foreign and domestic policies, I still find that the American people are part of one of the greatest nation of the world. And they have every right to be proud about it.

And when an American turns muslim! Then Masha'allah, because he has the best of both Worlds and knows how to avoid the bad.

But I would love to hear some input from Americans....Any Americans Up in the Place? WOOP WOOP. lol.
Posted Image

Fatony

Fatony

A Legal Algerian

• Super Moderators
  • 6,558 posts

Current mood: Cheerful Contributor

Americans are proud of their mixed culture.

Am sure they were in the last 20 yrs, until Katrina came along and exposed them for how much hatred they truely have. There is a difference between adapting to new views, and accepting new views. Americans somewhere along the lines just accepted that there are people who are not white and learnt to live with it but they never adapted. Every city in America is divided into North and South, while pushing all the immigrants and black people into one of the sides and providing less funding to those areas.

Whilst the American people might have an ideal way of life, it does not make them innocent to the whole world. American government has more blood on its hands that any other government.
I say they are looking after their own interests rather than providing equality between the people. Applying the laws of human above the laws of Allah swt?

Personally, I am enjoying seeing how America has become a failure of its own success and Really enjoying how China has become its greatest threat. They need to leave the cowboy mentality of scaring people by burning their homes and blowing-up their villages. It doesnt work.
There are people with experience and people with opinions. Listen to one, smile at the other.
Posted Image

Sosso

Sosso
  • Girls
  • 256 posts

Current mood: Pensive
I think you have misconceptions about AMERICANS! not the American Governement and its Foreign policies. The American people are the most open and welcoming nation in the world. Dont forget to that the USA has the fourth largest population in the World so obviously you'll see "cownboy mentality" because thats the stereotype they want you to believe...Like they do with all different races...And thats the Media not the people.
You think americans have cowboy mentality? Why? Cause of George Bush? Dont fall into the trap....Plus the American Governement is at the mercy of sionist lobbyist who dont give a flying rats butt about american and americans, but only about MONEY!

The American Governement may have blood on its hands.... But you will always hear the great majority of americans speaking out against such atrocities (unless the media doesnt want you to). The American people believe in whats right and whats wrong (And thats how they got fooled into going in a fake war).

Let me ask you this...Have you ever been to the US? Have You Lived there? Have you Spoken to Americans?

And by the way, Scaring the People and burning homes is the oldest trick in the Book for any Governement. No Governement is Innocent. Thats the Governements Job! To Keep Itself in Power by Any Means Necessary. And Believe me, the Day the American governement will clearly turn against its own american people, the American Nation will rise and Fight. And thats What They Want anyways...Ordo Ab Chaos.

Fatony

Fatony

A Legal Algerian

• Super Moderators
  • 6,558 posts

sorry but don't think I am the one who has been brainwashed... It's the American people who are. I never wanted my country or any government to attack any other country unless I have clear evidence that that country is a direct threat to my people.

The American people supported Bush, and were behind him even though Hans Blix (American) told them that there were no evidence of WMDs in Iraq. I say that maybe America is running on 5% of it's intelligent people and the rest are just a bunch of sheep?

Have I met Americans? of course I did. I worked with many. And you know what? they were all a bunch of hypocrites when it came to the Palestine Israel topic. When I cornered them, they started twisting like snakes and saying well Israel has the right to deffend it self.

I am sure there are Peaceful Americans, but they are a minority. The rest only speak what they hear. Them being religious people does concern me more to be honest, because they all believe that in Order for their God Jesus to return, the Third Temple of Solomon must be built and thus we must support Israel for what ever means. What me to bring you evidence of Religious Americans saying that? They all have the same belief under 'Christianity'.

• writersfreedom likes this

anthrogal

anthrogal
  • Girls
  • 16 posts

Current mood: Nerdy
Assalaam alaykum.

*slaps head* oh dear lord I'm a cowboy & a hypocrite? yee-haw!

I'm American of German, English, Irish, & Native American descent. What more of a proof of melting pot would you like? My husband is Algerian (naturalized American citizen before marriage). So inchaAllah the melting pot will get even more interesting.

Back to Americans though. Americans are extremely kind to my husband, as oppose to the Arabs in the community (a sizable community here) who treat him like crap. And we're talking about the same ethnicity, language, religion, etc. So why are Americans so accepting?

My parents (and I'm from a redneck family) welcome him w/open arms. Most Americans are like that. You treat them well, you help your neighbors if needed, and they will accept you. Most Americans react to day-to-day experiences rather than ideals. The last thing the majority want to talk about is politics & foreign affairs; they are more concerned about family, friends, getting food on the table, roof over their heads, etc. The crap u see on TV are just a tiny but very vocal minority. And I think even the Algerian press realized that (w/that idiot who wanted to burn the Qur'an: el watan made it a point to say he was of a very small minority.)

As for Christianity in this country: there are so many differing views on what Christians believe themselves that the above is really just a tiny, but yet again vocal, minority. Most Christians are considered mainline Christians, and they hold very moderate beliefs. Most I've seen of these people are on TV; hardly do I bump into them in real life (and I live in a small Midwestern city with many different churches, a synagogue and a mosque).

Also, think about this: There are several & have been members of Congress who are not Caucasian or African-American: Bobby Jindal (Indian), Joseph Cao (Vietnamese) - both from Louisiana; and Ben Nighthorse Campbell (Native American) are a few that come to mind. And don't forget the two Muslims as well: Keith Ellison (Minnesota) & Andre Carson (from my state). Now, why is it that these Muslims are coming from states with a small Muslim population (as oppose to Michigan or Illinois or New York, or Virginia?).

Here's something I just learned now: the governor of my state is of Arab descent as well. Which would explain why, even though he's a Republican, stood up for Muslims & Arabs after the Fort Hood shootings on national TV! Even though I don't necessarily like his politics I'm starting to respect him a bit more now.

Edited by anthrogal, 01 November 2010 - 02:30 PM.

• Sosso likes this
"Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it. - Rumi

"One of the signs of relying on deeds is loss of hope when a misstep occurs." - ibn Ata'illah

"Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. - Yoda

Fatony

Fatony

A Legal Algerian

• Super Moderators
  • 6,558 posts

Anthrogal, would u say your government wanted to expose each family to Debt so they can chase the buck while the gov goes on with its Agenda?

anthrogal

anthrogal
  • Girls
  • 16 posts

Current mood: Nerdy

Anthrogal, would u say your government wanted to expose each family to Debt so they can chase the buck while the gov goes on with its Agenda?

Wow, no wonder the Americans you encounter squirm when asked these kind of questions: these kind of questions, asked bluntly and to provoke, is considered extremely rude.

I'm not going to answer this question for several reasons:

1) it has absolutely no bearing to the topic at hand.

2) I keep my political opinion to my self (religion & politics are very private matters to me, so I don't need to explain them to others, unless I choose so)

3) you are obviously hard set on your beliefs and nothing I will say or do will change that.

4) I'm really sick and tired of the negativity present in political discourse today. There's nothing but hate hate hate and vote against but never are there actual solutions To vital problems being floated around. This question is obviously meant to be negative and I refuse to take part in such discussion.

Fatony

Fatony

A Legal Algerian

• Super Moderators
  • 6,558 posts

No no it's not a statement made to show hatred. I don't hate Americans, just some of their policies on dealing with the middle east. I asked you this question because the same thing happened in the uk to the point where the gov woke up one day and realized the country is in 3.5 trillion pounds worth of debt. So don't take it personally, it is more of a general question !