- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Abu Daoud

Abu Daoud
  • Members
  • 164 posts

Current mood: Cool

I always like one my father used to say, "You can't have your cake and eat it too". I used to wonder what he meant as I couldn't imagine having a cake and not eating it. Well, paint me green and call me a pickle, but I learned what this meant while in Algeria 4 or 5 years ago. Laura from Hopelands explained that when you eat a cake you ruin its nice appearance, so the meaning of the expression after all those years. I wonder why I never asked my father to explain it? Probably because I didn't want to look stupid to him.  :P

Whoever recommends and helps a good cause becomes a partner therein, and whoever recommends and helps an evil cause shares in its burdens” Qur’an:4:85

Apocalypse

Apocalypse

revolution

• Darja Gurus
  • 1,698 posts

Current mood: Procrastinating

Thank God this topic exists!

I've just realized that I forgot the few phrases I used to know, and I don't know English and American idiomatic expressions. So, I decided, like a good girl, to start a topic entitled Idiom of the Day then I thought: "wait a minute, it should probably exist", so I searched and I found this one (I hope we don't have another one for idioms only).

I went online, I downloaded few Books entitled English Idiomatic Expressions and I'll be (try to be) posting one expression a day (inshaAllah) so I can learn them all and share them with you people who already speak English :D

So here's mine for today:

"Smell a rat" -- it means: To feel that something is wrong.

• •eve• likes this

Apocalypse

Apocalypse

revolution

• Darja Gurus
  • 1,698 posts

Good Morning E-dz

(I remembered to come back :D)

Today's idiom:

"Go to the dogs" -- It means: to become run-down.

salam

• •eve• likes this

Apocalypse

Apocalypse

revolution

• Darja Gurus
  • 1,698 posts

salam

Fishy-- means: strange and suspicious

• •eve• likes this