3 replies to this topic

HENiA

HENiA
  • Girls
  • 49 posts

Current mood: Fiendish
by request of Fatony ...

Chourba A'ādess

A very warm and hearty Algerian soup to make you 'fit' in the cold winter days and when you are sick.

about 500g mutton ( bone- in meat, defatted)
generous handful - about one cup 250g brown lentils
1 large onion, diced fine
2 ribs of celery, diced fine
2 carrots, diced fine
1 courgette, small dice (optional)
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 TBS tomato pasta
handful of cilantro and parsely, roughly chopped
small pinch of dried ginger powder
Handful of rice or vermicelli
harissa to taste
olive oill
salt/white pepper
lemon

Soak the lentils in water for at least one hour.
Sauté the meat and onion and celery in olive oil.
Add in about one and half liter of water.
Sprinkle in the seasonings and herbs.
Bring to a boil, then lower the fire.

Simmer for about one hour or until the meat is tender.
Now add in the lentils.
Simmer for another half hour or until the lentils are cooked.
Stir occasionally.
Add in the courgettes now, if you like to use them. And also the rice/vermicelli pasta.
Turn up the fire slightly and cook for another 5m or until the rice/pasta is cooked.

Serve with lemon.
Tip: You can replace the meat with a stock cube.

• writersfreedom likes this

Posted Image

Simplicity's table by the sea

cooking and culture from Algeria and the Mediterranean

Djazairya - Women's support community for Algeria

http://djazairiya.fo...gerie.net/forum

Fatony

Fatony

A Legal Algerian

• Super Moderators
  • 6,558 posts

Current mood: Cheerful Contributor
Thank you Sis henia for fulfilling my request. Now am having some disputes with people that 3dess should include potatoes!!! That's exactly what is served in Algerian hospitals. Yours doesn't :(

Other interesting thing is I've never had 3dess with meat, it's always been chicken!
There are people with experience and people with opinions. Listen to one, smile at the other.
Posted Image

HENiA

HENiA
  • Girls
  • 49 posts

Current mood: Fiendish

Thank you Sis henia for fulfilling my request. Now am having some disputes with people that 3dess should include potatoes!!! That's exactly what is served in Algerian hospitals. Yours doesn't :(

Other interesting thing is I've never had 3dess with meat, it's always been chicken!

Esalaam

Fatony,

It really varies region to region what is put in dishes. But overall usually the sauce/spices are the same. Here, where I live in Tipaza red meat is favoured - no potatoes. The lentil soup with potatoes is called Chourba A'adess b'Khoudra. My husband has some Kabyle roots - that part of the family likes to use chicken not red meat. So yes, I think minor things like this vary region to region and you should test both ways - see which you like best! Posted Image

And LOL they serve this soup in the hospitals since first it's cheap and it is thought as a 'healing soup' much like Chicken noodle in Europe or US. Funny, everytime I was in the hospital my bowl 'saw' any kind of meat Posted Image

I am feeling uncreative and lazy today. Your request has inspired me. I am making lentil soup with stuffed batbouts.

writersfreedom

writersfreedom

The Beauty and The Prince

• Super Moderators
  • 5,369 posts

Current mood: Cheerful
:salaam:

3dass with meat and potatoes is the Best!

~~~ Peace out ~~~

What can my enemies possibly do to me? My paradise is in my heart; wherever I go it goes with me, insepa­rable from me. For me, prison is a place of (religious) retreat; ex­ecution is my opportunity for martyrdom; and exile from my town is but a chance to travel ......

Posted Image