• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Omeymaa

Omeymaa

Have faith...

• Girls
  • 1,330 posts

Current mood: Creative
Salaam wa rahma , InchAllah you are all doing well :D.

As you all know or should know that getting enough sleep is vital for your health and productivity etc etc etc, but have you ever noticed the difference between when you sleep after lunch and when you don't sleep?

Oh and by the way..this is a hammock :D

Posted Image

Back to our topic...

Why A Power Nap? Facts on Sleep:

While small children typically take naps in the afternoon, our culture generally frowns upon mid-day sleep; however, even in those who get enough sleep (but particularly in those who don't), many people experience a natural increase in drowsiness in the afternoon, about 8 hours after waking. And research shows that you can make yourself more alert reduce stress and improve cognitive functioning with a nap. Mid-day sleep, or a 'power nap', means more patience, less stress, better reaction time, increased learning, more efficiency and better health.

Here's what you need to know about the benefits of sleep and how a power nap can help you!

How Much Sleep Do You Need? The body needs 7-8 hours of sleep per day; 6 hours or less triples your risk of a car accident. (Interestingly, too much sleep--more than 9 hours--can actuallybe harmful for your health; recent studies show that those who sleep more than 9 hours per day don't live as long as their 8-hour-sleep counterparts!)

The Effects of Missed Sleep:

Sleep is cumulative; if you lose sleep one day, you feel it the next. If you miss adequate sleep several days in a row, you build up a 'sleep deficit', which impairs the following:

• Reaction time
  • Judgment
  • Vision
  • Information processing
  • Short-term memory
  • Performance
  • Motivation
  • Vigilance
  • Patience
and more stress.The Benefit of a Power Nap: Studies show that 20 minutes of sleep in the afternoon provides more rest than 20 minutes more sleep in the morning (though the last two hours of morning sleep have special benefits of their own). The body seems to be designed for this, as most people's bodies naturally become more tired in the afternoon, about 8 hours after we wake up.

How Long Should I Sleep? When you sleep you pass through different stages of sleep, known together as a sleep cycle. These stages include light sleep, deep sleep (which is believed to be the stage in which the body repairs itself), and rapid-eye movement sleep, or REM sleep (during which the mind is repaired).

Many experts advise to keep the nap between 15 and 30 minutes, as sleeping longer gets you into deeper stages of sleep, from which it's more difficult to awaken. Also, longer naps can make it more difficult to fall asleep at night, especially if your sleep deficit is relatively small. However, research has shown that a 1-hour nap has many more restorative effects than a 30-minute nap, including a much greater improvement in cognitive functioning. The key to taking a longer nap is to get a sense of how long your sleep cycles are, and try to awaken at the end of a sleep cycle. (It's actually more the interruption of the sleep cycle that makes you groggy, rather than the deeper states of sleep.)

As there are pros and cons to each length of sleep, you may want to let your schedule decide: if you only have 15 minutes to spare, take them! But if you could work in an hour nap, you may do well to complete a whole sleep cycle, even if it means less sleep at night. If you only have 5 minutes to spare, just close your eyes; even a brief rest has the benefit of reducing stress and helping you relax a little, which can give you more energy to complete the tasks of your day.

Tips For a More Effective Nap If you want to obtain more sleep, and the health benefits that go with getting enough sleep, here are some tips for more effective napping and sleep at night:

• Avoid caffeine after 3pm. It's a stimulant that can disrupt your sleep and stay in your system longer than you think; its half-life is four to six hours!
  • If you don't want to nap a long time, set an alarm.
  • If you don't have time for a power nap, or don't feel comfortable napping during the day, try meditation ; it gives your body a rest and produces slower brain waves similar to sleep.

Napping has been found to be beneficial. Napping for 20 minutes can help refresh the mind, improve overall alertness, boost mood and increase productivity.[2] Napping may benefit the heart. In a six-year study of Greek adults, researchers found that men who took naps at least three times a week had a 37 percent lower risk of heart-related death.[3]

Scientists have been investigating the benefits of napping for years: the 20-minute nap, as well as sleep durations of 1–2 hours. Performance across a wide range of cognitive processes have been tested. Studies demonstrate that naps are as good as a night of sleep for some types of memory tasks. A NASA study led by David F. Dinges, professor at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, found that naps can improve certain memory functions and that long naps are better than short ones.[4] In that NASA study, volunteers spent several days living on one of 18 different sleep schedules, all in a laboratory setting. To measure the effectiveness of the naps, tests probing memory, alertness, response time, and other cognitive skills were used.

The National Institute of Mental Health funded a team of doctors, led by Alan Hobson, Robert Stickgold, and colleagues at Harvard University for a study which showed that a midday snooze reverses information overload. Reporting in Nature Neuroscience, Sara Mednick, Stickgold and colleagues also demonstrated that, in some cases, a 1-hour nap could even boost performance to an individual's top levels. The NIMH team wrote: "The bottom line is: we should stop feeling guilty about taking that 'power nap' at work."[5]

Wikipedia_

Hope that was useful, I finally found the reason why I feel weird whenever I drink Nescafe at 4:00pm :D
  • Beebo, writersfreedom, Lilia and 1 other like this

Done is better than perfect.

writersfreedom

writersfreedom

The Beauty and The Prince

• Super Moderators
  • 5,369 posts

Current mood: Cheerful
:salaam:

Thank u for sharing Omy, the problem is that when you take a nap its not that easy to wake up :P

~~~ Peace out ~~~

What can my enemies possibly do to me? My paradise is in my heart; wherever I go it goes with me, insepa­rable from me. For me, prison is a place of (religious) retreat; ex­ecution is my opportunity for martyrdom; and exile from my town is but a chance to travel ......

Posted Image

Lilia

Lilia

Lilia

• Super Moderators
  • 1,503 posts

Current mood: Cloud 9 Contributor
salam
In GRH class,the teacher told us about some country where they are creating a nap space for their employees because they discovered what great effects it had on them.
But best time to take a nap is between 12:30 and 13:30 (before salt el Duhr)

the problem is that when you take a nap its not that easy to wake up

lol that exactly my problem, I gave up on the nap in fear I would wake up around 5pm all puffy and daykha :D
Posted Image

wise-man001

wise-man001
  • Members
  • 461 posts

Current mood: Fine
salam,

Interesting facts, thanks Omey.

U guys may wanna watch this video, it backs what u have been saying.

Be the change you want to see in the world.

Fatony

Fatony

A Legal Algerian

• Super Moderators
  • 6,558 posts

Current mood: Cheerful Contributor
I only takes naps in the weekend.. after jumuah. ya rab there is nothing to do.. so I steal 1 hr. It's amazing cos all the hardwork and stress of 1 weeks all comes out in that 1 hr...

good article omeyma
There are people with experience and people with opinions. Listen to one, smile at the other.
Posted Image

Apocalypse

Apocalypse

revolution

• Darja Gurus
  • 1,697 posts

Current mood: Procrastinating

In GRH class,the teacher told us about some country where they are creating a nap space for their employees because they discovered what great effects it had on them.
But best time to take a nap is between 12:30 and 13:30 (before salt el Duhr)

I read that on BBC once but can't remember which country it was exactly, maybe Germany or Japan, something like that, lol

Anyway, I got no problem with taking naps, the problem in fact is bringing sleep, and I never sleep for more than 15 minutes, I happen sleep one hours and that's when I spend nights up studying or dancing in some marriage :D