• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

Snow White Queen

Snow White Queen
  • Girls
  • 299 posts

Current mood: Torn
:salaam:

So here is the first English Maghrebian(Algerian novel) written in English by Blekacem
MEGHZOUCHENE, an Algerian young writer.

The story of the novel occurred, fictitiously, in Algiers(nicknamed The White
City), the capital of Algeria. Ramice Taslentm, an editor of trail-blazing
scientific magazine, received in Algiers, during an International Bookfair,
sciences German journalist Sophia Weize. She came along with her father Gred
Weize, who presented his Publishing House. Ramice and Spohia knew each other by
internet, and then came the opportunity of her Algiers’s visit. They fell in
love, but something popped in unexpectedly. Ramice narrated to Sopiha the harsh
moments Algeria had undergone in the 1990's out of terrorism, himself had seen
mates fall dead in ambushes, witnessed countless bombs in Algiers and
elsewhere, and could never see his wounds healed, as memories were
sorrow-ridden. He complained to Sophia about the blind eye western community
had turned to then-suffering Algeria, when this matryed country asked for help
in counter-terrorism; but no avail! Ramice, as Sophia became aware of, had a
heart rendered by love-bereft stories and lived terror, in his microcosm, but
could be zoomed out globally. Meanwhile, Ramice received a death threat by
email, to be executed sould he not part with the German stunner! All of a
sudden, years of throes and blood and embers crowded to his mind. Sophia
revealed his that she had loved a man names Yacine Lejeny; she showed him the
photo, and he felt pounded! He was, in actually, his friend who had flown to
Germany to further studies. Therefore, Ramice suspected Yacine of being the
source of threat! Corroborated by the fact that Yacine showed up in Algiers!
But they met during a conference held in Algiers about genetics, the encounter
was emotional, and it turned out that Yacine was innocent. Who threatened him?
Ramice was so fond of millennia-old Algiers with its Bay of wonders. He was
proficient in telling Sophia, with taste and love, the History of his
time-defying, wonderful Mediterranean seafront city. One day, when he was in
his magazine office, Ramice tried a CD he had found on his desk, and
bewilderment and consternation spanked his mind...

Download :
Hidden Content
You'll be able to see the hidden content once you reply to this topic.

• Lilia, Omeymaa and The Big Algeria like this

Lilia

Lilia

Lilia

• Super Moderators
  • 1,503 posts

Current mood: Cloud 9 Contributor
salam
Oooooh seems like a captivating story.. thank sis for sharing with us ^^
Posted Image

The Big Algeria

The Big Algeria
  • Members
  • 556 posts

Current mood: Balanced
I don't think that its the first :D

Thank you sister for sharing it.

Beebo

Beebo
  • Admin
  • 6,651 posts

Current mood: Busy Contributor
interesting!!! thanks for sharing sis!!

WgxUpZ6.png

Omeymaa

Omeymaa

Have faith...

• Girls
  • 1,330 posts

Current mood: Creative
Thank you for the link..good to hear that actually smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Done is better than perfect.

Apocalypse

Apocalypse

revolution

• Darja Gurus
  • 1,697 posts

Current mood: Procrastinating
I think you are saving my life snow white :D

Apocalypse

Apocalypse

revolution

• Darja Gurus
  • 1,697 posts

Blackstar you said you don't think it's the first, could you please provide me with other titles of Algerian novels written in English please? I really need them for the moment

The Big Algeria

The Big Algeria
  • Members
  • 556 posts

Current mood: Balanced

Blackstar you said you don't think it's the first, could you please provide me with other titles of Algerian novels written in English please? I really need them for the moment

Hello Meriem, We have an Algerian Novel writer here among us in E-dz,

She's WF, she wrote many Novels in English :D
  • writersfreedom and Snow White Queen like this

Snow White Queen

Snow White Queen
  • Girls
  • 299 posts

Current mood: Torn
@ Apocalypse : if you want just give me some time and i will check with my Af .Lit teacher ^_^

Apocalypse

Apocalypse

revolution

• Darja Gurus
  • 1,697 posts

you will do me a great favor sister, I really need help about this,

and writersfreedom you really write novels? why don't u share?

Nacerpro

Nacerpro
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Current mood: Alienated
salam,
Here is Sophia in the White City's link:

http://www.mediafire...45n34uez22cjcsd

And here is the other novel written by the same author but not yet published:
http://www.mediafire...w2gb4qqu16qecb9

He's writing four other novels and he will soon publish them.

What I really dislike is that he didn't write a biography or even a small introduction about himself in his novels.

Regardz.

• Beebo and Fatony like this

ummadina

ummadina
  • Girls
  • 168 posts

Current mood: Creative

Thank you for the link..good to hear that actually smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Sounds good.
Shaqiq said "Weeping over past (misdeeds), being afraid of perpetrating a sin again, forsaking the company of evildoers, and adhering to the company of righteousness - these are the hallmarks of a (sincere) repentence."

Apocalypse

Apocalypse

revolution

• Darja Gurus
  • 1,697 posts

I have so much to say about this novel I read it back in June and the word which really describes my feeling when I finished it is... DECEIVED! This man is far from being a literary man, he is not even gifted, he has been telling some parts of his life melted with his inner self wildest dreams! He focused more on showing that he has a rich vocabulary in English than on writing something useful and the review provided about the book has nothing to do with it. One positive thing I found about it, it made me want to spend some time in Algiers and I did enjoy visitting the city after I read it. I still have my notes about it but never had the chance to post them. I also saw the guy's facebook and had a little chat with him, he confirmed that this novel is a semi autobiography, I told him I had a little criticism about it, he wanted to see it I said wait until I post it ( I had the intention to oblige him to join the forums before showing him what I thought about the novel, then I never did any of the two) Soon nshaAllah!
  • Lilia likes this

Beebo

Beebo
  • Admin
  • 6,651 posts

Current mood: Busy Contributor

I have so much to say about this novel I read it back in June and the word which really describes my feeling when I finished it is... DECEIVED! This man is far from being a literary man, he is not even gifted, he has been telling some parts of his life melted with his inner self wildest dreams! He focused more on showing that he has a rich vocabulary in English than on writing something useful and the review provided about the book has nothing to do with it. One positive thing I found about it, it made me want to spend some time in Algiers and I did enjoy visitting the city after I read it.

I love reading your criticisms of others... makes me very cautious when posting anything on here :lol:

( I had the intention to oblige him to join the forums before showing him what I thought about the novel, then I never did any of the two)

Well done girl! lol

Apocalypse

Apocalypse

revolution

• Darja Gurus
  • 1,697 posts

I love reading your criticisms of others... makes me very cautious when posting anything on here :lol:

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Lilia

Lilia

Lilia

• Super Moderators
  • 1,503 posts

salam
I started reading this book a while back and I kept putting it aside then resume the reading. the story is interesting, ven touching in parts, but not enough to keep me from tossing it in a drawer and never retrieve it, If not for it being the first Algerian book in English, and the free tour of Algiers.

Of course it is a good initiative but a proofreading wouldn't have hurt! So many mistakes, and I'm not talking only about grammar or syntax but even spelling ones that just MS Word processor would have taken care of.
It is apparent that the author's English is French, you know what I mean? The French language was dominating his thoughts and way of thinking. It felt like you're reading some translated french book. He didn't have a grasp on the English expressions and idioms.
And the switching between languages smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':S' /> At times it was confusing which language he was talking in!!

How come there is only this one book in English :huh:

Meghzouchene Belkacem

Meghzouchene Belkacem
  • Members
  • 72 posts

Current mood:

Ideas and theories and critics should be put forward, 

a creative writer must labor and tinker the words to churn out innovative expressions and metaphors, not just parroting existing idioms. Yet my novel included dozens of idioms.  Getting to grips with idioms isn’t the gist of talented writer.

I let you know that more respected academics in UK praised my writings when we met back in December 2009 in Rabat, Morocco, in a workshop on creative English writing in the Maghreb, organized and chaired by the British Council. My mates Ayoub Boukhatem (lecturer at the University of Blida) and Ihcen Gasmi (a news speaker at private-run Numidia News), who were among the gatherers in the Rabat workshop, have been encouraging me since then, even paying tribute to my trailblazing writings, though I’m not an English grad by training.

Borrowing from one’s experience and autobiography for a first novel is by no means a shame. I finished my second English novel dealing with suicides (on the track of a mysterious suicide of a young Algerian woman in August 2004), entitled: THE ANKLET OF TINHINAN

I’m working on a third novel: THE AXIS OF APES AND PIGS.

PS: by the way, US Ambassador to Algiers, His Excellency Ensher, is willing to meet me here in Mostaganem, Feb. 6, 2013!

Belkacem Meghzouchene

Edited by writersfreedom, 31 January 2013 - 12:45 AM.
You can give your opinion but you can NOT be rude to other members.

Abu Daoud

Abu Daoud
  • Members
  • 164 posts

Current mood: Cool

To Belkacem, I'm a native speaker of English and an English teacher and I have to agree with the sentiments above. Even if I am only applying them to your double post here on this forum. I did download the book but grew bored with the language after only a chapter or more.People don't have to write a novel to know what reads well and what doesn't. I also didn't sense any hatred in the criticisms posted here. I saw just plain matter of fact statements with no personal attacks.

After having said this though I don't want to discourage you. Algeria needs all of its talented people to stand out and let the world know you are here and I applaud your efforts. Keep writing as this is the only way to get better at any language. I don't mean to rub salt in the wounds from your critics.  

I will end by saying that my name is Daoud Rosa, originally from the USA, but since 1990 an Australian permanent resident followed by taking citizenship in that country. I have to add that I have never heard of a US Ambassador referred to as "His Excellency", but if that's what you want to call him or her go for it!

• writersfreedom and Lilia like this
Whoever recommends and helps a good cause becomes a partner therein, and whoever recommends and helps an evil cause shares in its burdens” Qur’an:4:85

Lilia

Lilia

Lilia

• Super Moderators
  • 1,503 posts

salam 

Dear Mister Writer, 

Know, sir, that it was not in my attention to offend you or belittle your writing in any way.  

I'm Lilia and this is all there is to know about my identity!

You say I'm jealous, sure I might even add envious of your work. However I harbor those feelings in the most positive tone possible. Because I, myself, aspire to be a writer someday inshallah And I'm more than proud to see an Algerian book in English on the stands, it's encouraging. I even went and bought a copy of the book even though I have a PDF version; as a 'show of support for the writer'. 

That being said, and with all due respect, I believe the way you expressed your disagreement is somewhat rude, and I condemn this attack on my person mostly unprofessional.  You, as a writer, publishing a book entitles me, as a reader, to point out the aspects of said book that I like or do not like as well. Otherwise, you could have kept it in a private library out of reach and out of critics!  

I stand by my point when I said what I said in the previous post, I'm not changing anything because you claim I'm not a 'certified' critic who doesn't own books of my own. That has nothing to do with the way I feel towards the book.

You should be aware that a creative writer must labor and tinker the words to churn out innovative expressions and metaphors, not just parroting existing idioms.

And be aware, sir, that it is the writer's role to convince the readers of such innovations. Through making them so enraptured by the events of the story to the point that they wouldn't mind the infringement of tradition. And, frankly it didn't feel like innovated expressions, it was more like a bad translation from other languages which kept confusing me. 

I finished my second English novel dealing with suicides (on the track of a mysterious suicide of a young Algerian woman in August 2004), entitled: THE ANKLET OF TINHINAN

I’m working on a third novel: THE AXIS OF APES AND PIGS.

Great news, congratulations! Just make sure that your editors use MS Word this time around!!! 

Edited by Lilia, 02 February 2013 - 03:46 PM.
quote edit

Meghzouchene Belkacem

Meghzouchene Belkacem
  • Members
  • 72 posts

Current mood:

Dear Lilia,

You're wrong if you think that I translate from French when I'm writing! I rule out such things.  I always think in English by doing so. You, students of English, are accustomed to reading books of old. You have strange feelings upon reading my book, for it’s depicting spatially and temporally our Algerian society. To carry out a novel occurring in Algeria is not walk in the park, you know. Literature is not aping others’ works. Just take novels or poems of English-speaking writers from Africa, and you’ll see that there is an African touch and voice as to texts .