5 replies to this topic

Omeymaa

Omeymaa

Have faith...

• Girls
  • 1,330 posts

Current mood: Creative

salam,

In order to make my biology studies far more interesting, I decided to Google up blood group.

First of all, lets see what determines our blood group: I found a really easy explanation..

Posted Image

What is blood made up of?

• Plasma, the liquid part of blood, makes up about 60% of the blood's volume. Plasma is mainly made from water, but contains many different proteins and other chemicals such as hormones, antibodies, enzymes, glucose, fat particles, salts, etc.
  • Blood cells, which can be seen under a microscope, make up about 40% of the blood's volume. Blood cells are made in the bone marrow by blood 'stem' cells. Blood cells are divided into three main types:
  • Red cells (erythrocytes). These make blood a red colour. One drop of blood contains about five million red cells. A constant new supply of red blood cells is needed to replace old cells that break down. Millions are released into the bloodstream from the bone marrow each day. Red cells contain a chemical called haemoglobin. This binds to oxygen, and takes oxygen from the lungs to all parts of the body.
  • White cells (leucocytes). There are different types such as neutrophils (polymorphs), lymphocytes, eosinophils, monocytes, basophils. They are a part of the immune system and are mainly involved in combating infection.
  • Platelets. These are tiny and help the blood to clot if we cut ourselves.

What is a blood group?
Red blood cells have certain proteins on their surface, called antigens. Also, your plasma contains antibodies which will attack certain antigens if they are present. There are various types of red blood cell antigens - the ABO and rhesus types are the most important.

ABO types
These were the first type discovered.

• If you have type A antigens on the surface of your red blood cells, you also have anti-B antibodies in your plasma.
  • If you have type B antigens on the surface of your red blood cells, you also have anti-A antibodies in your plasma.
  • If you have type A and type B antigens on the surface of your red blood cells, you do not have antibodies to A or B antigens in your plasma.
  • If you have neither type A nor type B antigens on the surface of your red blood cells, you have anti-A and anti-B antibodies in your plasma.

Rhesus types
Most people are 'rhesus positive' as they have rhesus antigens on their red blood cells. But, about 3 in 20 people do not have rhesus antibodies and are said to be 'rhesus negative'.

Blood group names
Your blood group depends on which antigens occur on the surface of your red blood cells. Your genetic make-up which you inherit from your parents determines which antigens occur on your red blood cells. Because of this fact a blood group test is sometimes used to help settle disputes about who is the father of a child. Your blood group is said to be:

• A+ (A positive) if you have A and rhesus antigens.
  • A– (A negative) if you have A antigens, but not rhesus antigens.
  • B+ (B positive) if you have B and rhesus antigens.
  • B– (B negative) if you have B antigens, but not rhesus antigens.
  • AB+ (AB positive) if you have A, B and rhesus antigens.
  • AB– (AB negative) if you have A and B antigens, but not rhesus antigens.
  • O+ (O positive) if you have neither A nor B antigens, but you have rhesus antigens.
  • O– (O negative) if you have do not have A, B or rhesus antigens

Aaaaaannnnnndd..

Spoiler

Now, I'm sure most of you already are aware of the fact that you're supposed to be eating according to your blood group. If you want to lose or gain weight that are certain foods you should consume/avoid.

What you probably didn't know is that apparently your blood group has something to do with you personality..Check the links, they include the diet stuff as well

Blood group A- http://www.dadamo.com/bloodtype_A.htm

Blood group B- http://www.dadamo.com/bloodtype_B.htm

Blood group Ab- http://www.dadamo.com/bloodtype_AB.htm

Blood group O- http://www.dadamo.com/bloodtype_O.htm

So tell me, any 'That is so me!' ? :P

This post is missing your contribution, please take 2 seconds to scroll down and reply smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Sa77itou

• Lilia, kamylood and The Big Algeria like this

Done is better than perfect.

Lilia

Lilia

Lilia

• Super Moderators
  • 1,506 posts

Current mood: Cloud 9 Contributor
salam
Thanks for the interesting topic Omeymaa.. I remember studying this in 2nd or 3rd year in high-school, and I was sooo disappointed because they were supposed to test our blood type but they didn't.
I never knew it had to do with our diet, huh sub'hana Allah!
Now that article saying I should be vegetarian.. For meat ngoulou ma3lish but not have potatoes :o that's the Algerians' main dish take it away and they'll starve!
When watching Japanime I noticed that whenever someone introduces themselves they state their blood type. It's a wonder that everything is connected!
Posted Image

Fatony

Fatony

A Legal Algerian

• Super Moderators
  • 6,558 posts

Current mood: Cheerful Contributor
very interesting omeyma and a good read..keep them coming. You what I fail to understand is how red blood cells are made in the bone marrow
There are people with experience and people with opinions. Listen to one, smile at the other.
Posted Image

The Big Algeria

The Big Algeria
  • Members
  • 556 posts

Current mood: Balanced
Nice topic Omey :D Sa77iti!

You what I fail to understand is how red blood cells are made in the bone marrow

Oh my buck! before a month probably I gave a mini-course about the production of the red blood Cells in the bone morrow :D

Fatony

Fatony

A Legal Algerian

• Super Moderators
  • 6,558 posts

Current mood: Cheerful Contributor

Nice topic Omey :D Sa77iti!

Oh my buck! before a month probably I gave a mini-course about the production of the red blood Cells in the bone morrow :D

can u provide some material?

Omeymaa

Omeymaa

Have faith...

• Girls
  • 1,330 posts

Current mood: Creative
You're welcome,
So you guys no one knows their blood type? I can guess Apocalypse is an O..Lilia..A or B, Fatony AB or B.

Fatony check this http://www.nlm.nih.g...deos/000104.htm
  • Fatony likes this