6 replies to this topic

Apocalypse

Apocalypse

revolution

• Darja Gurus
  • 1,698 posts

Current mood: Procrastinating
salam,

These are two British proverbs that contradict each other and I think they say it all, what do you think? does absence make your affection for certain people stronger or weaker? let's not say it depends, it makes it stronger towards my mother and weaker towards a neighbor I haven't seen for ages but we didn't have a good relationship anyway! (just an example) Let's take your best friend, or one particular person only and apply both sayings on this case, which counts more?

• Beebo and Wahrania like this

Fatony

Fatony

A Legal Algerian

• Super Moderators
  • 6,558 posts

Current mood: Cheerful Contributor
I will not do it about a person. How about people? The more absent I am from Algerians, the stronger I get. Fhamtini mimi?
There are people with experience and people with opinions. Listen to one, smile at the other.
Posted Image

Wahrania

Wahrania
  • Darja Gurus
  • 202 posts

Current mood: Spaced
I guess it depends on the situation and the party involved.
In my case, generally speaking, being away from a certain person 'out of sight, out of mind' would apply. But in regards to Algeria, for example, 'absence makes the heart grow fonder' definitely applies.

Both proverbs are true in the appropriate situation, it's a subjective matter.

Lilia

Lilia

Lilia

• Super Moderators
  • 1,507 posts

Current mood: Cloud 9 Contributor
salam
I don't think you can apply both proverbs on the same person; it's either they are close to you and being away from them will make you miss them more or, you don't care about them that much and the minute they're away you completely forget about them.
Posted Image

Beebo

Beebo
  • Admin
  • 6,655 posts

Current mood: Busy Contributor

salam
I don't think you can apply both proverbs on the same person; it's either they are close to you and being away from them will make you miss them more or, you don't care about them that much and the minute they're away you completely forget about them.

haha but you just did sis... being away from them makes you miss them :D

I definitely agree with this statement 100% because i've seen it in myself. There are many people that i've grown fond of since i've been away from them (either best friends or relatives) I think because the other saying comes into play "you don't miss something till it's gone" and in that case you realize how much they mean to you and how big of a part they were in your life.

WgxUpZ6.png

•eve•

•eve•
  • Validating
  • 364 posts
Contributor
salam

I do agree with Lilia , but also time plays a big role , when u first move away from a person u care about u sure will miss them but aftter a while u move on with ur life , specially if u don't contact them often , so when u meet again , u will have a very awkward conversation , n it will take some time until things get back as smooth as they used to be.

At least thats the case with me .
:mellow:
  • Apocalypse likes this
Posted Image

wad

wad
  • Members
  • 67 posts

Current mood: Balanced
It never crossed my mind before but now that you've mentioned it, it seems kinda weird. I guess these two can not be applied on the same person at the same time.