• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Omeymaa

Omeymaa

Have faith...

• Girls
  • 1,330 posts

Current mood: Creative
Salaam smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> How's everyone, 3aach men chafkoum, long time no speak, win kountou maghbourin :P

I set my girls (students :D) a descriptive writing assignment over the weekend, marked it and gave it back to them. We were discussing during the english class today.

One of the girls wrote an excellent one, so I told the whole class, 'Aya wrote an excellent essay, infact the best one so well done Aya' (something along those lines) and I read it to the class.
Now of course, I told the rest of the class that their work was very good whilst handing back their worksheets, to balance things.

Then I asked them, 'who used the techniques we wrote on the exercise book?' ( I took my time explaining these to them, even gave them a very relaxing starter :P, I was like close your eyes, I will read you a descriptive essay and tell me what u imagine). Not to my surprise, Aya raised her hand.

So I thought about the above question when the class was over, I think there are two possible situations:
Either:
1. You praise the girl in front of her classmates, this could create some sort of competitive environment in the class so the girls 'race' to get things done first. (Ideal situation).
Or..
2.You praise the girl in front of her classmates, they don't like it, so they don't pay as much attention and fall behind etc.

What do you think? smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Done is better than perfect.

Wahrania

Wahrania
  • Darja Gurus
  • 202 posts

Current mood: Spaced
I think students should be praised for their hard work and it does encourage them to keep it up. Although it might be a little awkward at times, I think every student enjoys a little moment of praise from their teacher here and there. However, getting my essay read in front of the whole class is not something I would enjoy just because it stretches out the moment for a little too long.

Now that's just how I personally feel. I'm not too sure how other people would take it. I'll wait to read the answers to get an idea smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Fatony

Fatony

A Legal Algerian

• Super Moderators
  • 6,558 posts

Current mood: Cheerful Contributor
Well I would say number 1. Number 2 only works with adults.

If you wanted aya to hate you, make her read her essay in front of the Class.
There are people with experience and people with opinions. Listen to one, smile at the other.
Posted Image

Omeymaa

Omeymaa

Have faith...

• Girls
  • 1,330 posts

Current mood: Creative

If you wanted aya to hate you, make her read her essay in front of the Class.

haha, thats not the case actually in my class, most of my students ask me whether they can read their essays to the class.. I let them

•eve•

•eve•
  • Validating
  • 364 posts
Contributor
I think it is necessary to praise a hardworking student , but to not praise the same student each class , if an other student worked a little better praise them as well to show that it's possible for other students to be praised rather than ' the teacher's favorite ' u know ..

but not praising a hardworking student will cause them to stop participating or working as hard as they used to.

• Beebo likes this
Posted Image

Lilia

Lilia

Lilia

• Super Moderators
  • 1,507 posts

Current mood: Cloud 9 Contributor
salam
I'm confused a bit here; you can be a high-schooler and teach at the same time :huh:
Exceptional students should get as much of teacher's attention as the rest of the class, because if you don't praise their good work they'll feel left out and they might even lose interest in your class as well!
As for the second issue, it's the teacher's role to motivate them when they lose interest not stop praising the 'good' student which is definitely not fair.

However, getting my essay read in front of the whole class is not something I would enjoy just because it stretches out the moment for a little too long.

I remember once my teacher of French read a story I wrote for 'Expression Ecrite' I was so pleased and proud ^_^

• •eve• likes this
Posted Image

Beebo

Beebo
  • Admin
  • 6,655 posts

Current mood: Busy Contributor
I think that praising students for their work is great and exceptional, but like eve said, it's a good idea to not always pick the same student even if they are by far the best student. This doesn't take anything from the student because it actually makes them work harder to beat the "competition". That's how you truly create a competitive spirit within the classroom. This gives everyone a "fair" chance, instead of always being the same student which in the end will only seclude them from the rest.

WgxUpZ6.png