10 replies to this topic

Omeymaa

Omeymaa

Have faith...

• Girls
  • 1,330 posts

Current mood: Creative
Salaaam wa rahma :D

Fi khater our sisters- (Snow White Queen and Lilia in particular :D), who sometimes have no idea what to cook or cannot decide on what to cook for iftaar, this topic is for us to help each other out, get new ideas and be creative!!

You can post your own recipes,from websites (preferably Algerian no?), or since mashallah we have creative ladies here, give your own unique ideas.

Tip Number 1: Plan meals beforehand. Get a paper, write: Main course, Side dishe(s), Jwaaz :D and Dessert (if any). Stick to it!

Tip Number 2: Food to avoid in Ramadhan ( see quoted)

Foods to Avoid or Reduce during Suhoor or Iftar

• Processed foods such as Hot Dogs, Corned Beef, Nuggets, Fries, Burgers
  • Avoid all types of processed meat – such as burgers or nuggets or hot dogs from fast food joints as they contain saturated fats and some have preservatives which are known carcinogens = cancer causing agents
  • Saturated Fats are fats that contributes to heart related diseases & stroke
  • Remove the Skin to remove the Fats as it contains saturated fats
  • This is a great time for those with health issues such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol and heart related problems to give a good break to the body
  • If there is a taste for meats, then opt to consume red meat not more than twice a week.
  • Reduce the intake of Fried Foods. Opt for healthier cooking methods such as grilled foods.
  • If there is a need to fry – use NON hydrogenated oils to fry and do not re-use the oil to fry when the oil has changed its colour as these are unhealthy for the body)
  • Carbonated Beverages (It depletes good nutrients for the body, for instance, it depletes calcium absorption in the body)
  • Refined Sugar such as Pastries, Cakes, Donuts, Ice cream (especially during sahur as it gives a spike in energy and an energy crash causing tiredness)
  • Refined foods also has low fiber which makes the body hungry after a while. Foods that are low in fiber will make us feel hungry easily.
  • Coffee (Avoid Coffee during Sahur as it causes dehydration)
  • Reduce amount of High Sugar & High Saturated Fat Foods such fats from meat sources, dairy (Choose low fats milk or non fat milk, low fat yogurt)

Prod.Ram.

So next time you're stuck, you know where to come ;)

Looking forward
to your contributions girls-

Sa7a ftourkoum smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

• Lilia and Snow White Queen like this

Done is better than perfect.

Snow White Queen

Snow White Queen
  • Girls
  • 299 posts

Current mood: Torn
salam
Your are saving us dear Omeyma :D

Snow White Queen

Snow White Queen
  • Girls
  • 299 posts

Current mood: Torn
I made this for today's desert, it was really good :

CAKE AU CITRON :

Ingrédients :
Pour un moule à cake de 24 cm :
- 200g de farine tamisée
- 1 sachet de levure chimique
- 3 œufs
- 175g de sucre semoule
- 10 cl de lait
- 80g de beurre
- 1 ou 2 pincées de sel.
- 1 citron non traité
Préparation :
Préchauffer le four à 175°C.
Laver et brosser le citron. L'essuyer. Râper finement le zeste dans un bol et recueillir le jus du citron.
Fouetter le beurre ramolli avec le sucre jusqu'à une consistance de pommade. Ajouter les œufs un à un (on peut aussi monter les blancs en neige, pour une préparation encore plus légère) et bien mélanger, puis le lait et le jus de citron.
Incorporer la farine tamisée.
Verser dans un moule à cake et cuire pendant 35 à 45 min.
Au bout d'1/4 d'heure de cuisson entailler le cake sur sa longueur pour qu'il gonfle harmonieusement
Laisser refroidir un peu et démouler.

Posted Image
  • writersfreedom likes this

•eve•

•eve•
  • Validating
  • 364 posts
Contributor
salam

Nice , ladies sharing recipes i like that , reminds me of my mam n aunts haha Posted Image
n Snow White Queen , i have had way too many of these , mam always makes these kind of deserts , she loves citric ,

Yap so , i will share a recipe that i tried in like the second day of ramadan , we ate it on el s7oor lol , so here it goes :

CHOCOLATE BISCUIT CAKE (from Darren McGrady's "Eating Royally") Prep: 25 minutes

Chill: 3 hours

Servings: 8

8 ounces tea biscuits or cookies

1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened

1/2 cup granulated sugar

12 ounces dark chocolate

1 egg, beaten

1 ounce white chocolate

1. Lightly grease a small (6-inch) cake ring or springform pan with butter. Place on a
parchment-lined tray. Break each of the biscuits into almond-size pieces; set aside. Cream the
butter and sugar in a bowl until a light lemon color.

2. Melt 4 ounces of the dark chocolate in a double boiler. Off the heat, add the butter and
sugar mixture, stirring constantly. Add the egg; continue stirring. Fold in the biscuit pieces
until they are all coated with the chocolate mixture.

3. Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake ring. Try to fill all the gaps on the bottom of
the ring, because this will be the top when it is unmolded. Refrigerate, at least 3 hours.

4. Remove the cake from the refrigerator; let it stand while you melt the remaining 8
ounces of dark chocolate in a double boiler. Slide the ring off the cake; turn the cake
upside-down onto a cooling rack. Pour the melted chocolate over the cake, smoothing the top
and sides using a butter knife or offset spatula. Allow the icing to set at room temperature.

Carefully run a knife around the bottom of the cake where it has stuck to the cooling rack,
transfer the cake to a cake dish. Melt the white chocolate; drizzle on top of the cake in a
decorative pattern.

Nutrition information: Per serving: 491 calories, 46 percent of calories from fat, 25 g
fat, 14 g saturated fat, 48 mg cholesterol, 61 g carbohydrates, 5 g protein, 124 mg sodium, 3
g fiber.

N i recommend u lose the icing , no need to melt all that chocolate , i used Nutella Posted Image

I feel like this is somehow kids cooking haha compared to the professional cooking , using the oven n being precise n all that ,
Still though this is a royalty recipe , sent directly from the queens palace lol , but this is kind of the simpler version.

Enjoy , bonne appé*** Posted Image

Posted Image

Lilia

Lilia

Lilia

• Super Moderators
  • 1,507 posts

Current mood: Cloud 9 Contributor
salam
Argh desserts 3la sbah Allah smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':S' />
Just kidding :D thanks for sharing the recipes.
Now, girls, I have a few eggplants: 'danjal' (that my father didn't know better to bring them home in Ramadan) and I dunno what to do with them!
So, any ideas? something to suit Iftar

Posted Image

Omeymaa

Omeymaa

Have faith...

• Girls
  • 1,330 posts

salam smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> Chakirin lakoum 7osn ta3awounikoum :P
Eggplants are best with something tomato-y garlic-y, last time we had them fried with tomato sauce on top. But, checking the la vache qui rit Recipe book (the things you get from Algeria :D )

Gratin Souflee bel badenjaal:

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Or you can take a look at this, less complicated.

• Lilia likes this

•eve•

•eve•
  • Validating
  • 364 posts
Contributor
salam

Lilia , lol ur stuck with it , that vegitable has some really weird flavor , not my favorite !
So I asked my mam for ya , she gave me the same recipe omyma mentioned with the tomato sauce ,

Also we make a thing at home called "motabal" متبل which is originaly from Syria or Jordan or something ,
The recipe goes like :
-Grill 2 badenjan.
-Remove the skin from it.
-Mince it.
-Add a tablespoon "tahiniya" طحينية , a squeez of lemon (almost a teaspoon) n half a teaspoon of salt + a tablespoon of cold water.
-Mix the whole thing.
-Serve with a little bit of olive oil on top.

Try it out. :D

• Lilia likes this

Omeymaa

Omeymaa

Have faith...

• Girls
  • 1,330 posts

Eve, thats called baba ganouj or something like that here, very tasty :D
  • •eve• likes this

Lilia

Lilia

Lilia

• Super Moderators
  • 1,507 posts

Current mood: Cloud 9 Contributor
salam
Thank you girls baraka Allah fikoma. The tomato sauce we do it in el fter and gratin is a bit 't9il' for Ramadan. So I'll try the last recipe. Though I'll need to look up some of the words, t'hiniya?!!

•eve•

•eve•
  • Validating
  • 364 posts
Contributor
Ouh you're right Omeyma , it's also called baba ganouj ,

Lilia , tahiniya is basically sesame extract , it come's in plastic jars , something like this :

Posted Image

It was a little difficult to find is sidi bel abbes , but you know that market in Treg Tla3' ? that's called El qoffa ql khadra ? it has it Posted Image i think there are other branches in sba but not sure where they are located.

Specifically , Tahiniya is :

الطحينية أو الراشي هي عصارة حب السمسم, حيث يعصر السمسم بعد تنضيفة وتحميصه على النار, كما يمكن عصره بدون تحميصه.تضاف الطحينية إلى السلطات أو الحمص بالطحينة (المسبحة), أو تخلط مع الدبس وتؤكل شتاءً كفطور مغذي ولذيذ.

تدخل الطحينية في صناعة العديد من الحلويات وكذلك في صناعة الحلاوة الطحينية والحلاوة السمسمية.

n here's the recipe for el mtabal in photo's.

• Lilia likes this

writersfreedom

writersfreedom

The Beauty and The Prince

• Super Moderators
  • 5,369 posts

Current mood: Cheerful
:salaam:

This Ramadan its all about seafood as far as am considered :D

Here are some of the dishes I made for Iftar and Su7ur this year :

Fish Soup :

Posted Image

Grilled fish :

Posted Image

Paella :

Posted Image

Squid Salad :

Posted Image

Fried Crab Cakes :

Posted Image

Grilled Fish Fillet :

Posted Image

Fried Shrimp :

Posted Image

Smoked Salmon :

Posted Image

Some of the non-seafood dishes I prepared for Iftar and Su7ur are :

Ravioli :

Posted Image

Lazania :

Posted Image

Shawarma :

Posted Image

Fatoush :

Posted Image

Labnna :

Posted Image

Kouba :

Posted Image

~~~ Peace out ~~~

What can my enemies possibly do to me? My paradise is in my heart; wherever I go it goes with me, insepa­rable from me. For me, prison is a place of (religious) retreat; ex­ecution is my opportunity for martyrdom; and exile from my town is but a chance to travel ......

Posted Image