Fi khater our sisters- (Snow White Queen and Lilia in particular ), who sometimes have no idea what to cook or cannot decide on what to cook for iftaar, this topic is for us to help each other out, get new ideas and be creative!!
You can post your own recipes,from websites (preferably Algerian no?), or since we have creative ladies here, give your own unique ideas.
Tip Number 1: Plan meals beforehand. Get a paper, write: Main course, Side dishe(s), Jwaaz and Dessert (if any). Stick to it!
Tip Number 2: Food to avoid in Ramadhan ( see quoted)
Foods to Avoid or Reduce during Suhoor or Iftar
- Processed foods such as Hot Dogs, Corned Beef, Nuggets, Fries, Burgers
- Avoid all types of processed meat – such as burgers or nuggets or hot dogs from fast food joints as they contain saturated fats and some have preservatives which are known carcinogens = cancer causing agents
- Saturated Fats are fats that contributes to heart related diseases & stroke
- Remove the Skin to remove the Fats as it contains saturated fats
- This is a great time for those with health issues such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol and heart related problems to give a good break to the body
- If there is a taste for meats, then opt to consume red meat not more than twice a week.
- Reduce the intake of Fried Foods. Opt for healthier cooking methods such as grilled foods.
- If there is a need to fry – use NON hydrogenated oils to fry and do not re-use the oil to fry when the oil has changed its colour as these are unhealthy for the body)
- Carbonated Beverages (It depletes good nutrients for the body, for instance, it depletes calcium absorption in the body)
- Refined Sugar such as Pastries, Cakes, Donuts, Ice cream (especially during sahur as it gives a spike in energy and an energy crash causing tiredness)
- Refined foods also has low fiber which makes the body hungry after a while. Foods that are low in fiber will make us feel hungry easily.
- Coffee (Avoid Coffee during Sahur as it causes dehydration)
- Reduce amount of High Sugar & High Saturated Fat Foods such fats from meat sources, dairy (Choose low fats milk or non fat milk, low fat yogurt)
So next time you're stuck, you know where to come
to your contributions girls-
Sa7a ftourkoum .gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />