Change
Photo

Do you think Men and Women can be ''Just Friends'' ?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Poll: Just Friends (12 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think men and women can be friends?

1. Yes! (2 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

2. No! (5 votes [41.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 41.67%

3. Maybe but its tricky.. (4 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

4. Sometimes.. (1 votes [8.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

writersfreedom

writersfreedom

The Beauty and The Prince

• Super Moderators
  • 5,369 posts

Current mood: Cheerful

:Bismillah1:

:salaam:

In my opinion, men and women can never be just friends, its not possible.

Which is why I believe its better to avoid this type of friendship, because it wont work out, plus what will happen when you're married and run into one of your ''friends'' ? That wont end well for you.

It is against nature for men and women to be friends, the only man/woman you can truly be friends with is your spouse and that should happen after marriage because to become good friends with someone you have to get to know them well and once that happens you'll start to care about them which is normal, we all care about our friends so if you're married its not a problem to have feelings for your husband/wife but if its a ''friend'' then that's gonna cause problems.

In Islam there is no such thing as friendship with the opposite gender, so why do we still think we can make it work?

Do you guys think men and women can be friends?

~~~ Peace out ~~~

What can my enemies possibly do to me? My paradise is in my heart; wherever I go it goes with me, insepa­rable from me. For me, prison is a place of (religious) retreat; ex­ecution is my opportunity for martyrdom; and exile from my town is but a chance to travel ......

Posted Image

Wahrania

Wahrania
  • Darja Gurus
  • 202 posts

Current mood: Spaced
I believe men and women can be friends.

It might be a rare thing to have a sincere friendship between both sexes, it might be a very risky thing, the parties will probably develop stronger feelings that they would not develop if it were a friend from the same sex. Nonetheless, it is not impossible.

I wouldnt necessarily suggest such friendship but I wouldnt advise against it either.

With regards to being married and running into a friend, if youre bluntly honest with your spouse before getting married and that there really isnt anything between you and your friend then nothing should go wrong.

jollyme- :)

jollyme- :)
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Current mood: Angelic
Yes, they can.
The only thing about certain arabs or Muslims living in their countries is that they don't get much freedom to connect with the opposite gender. So when they find the chance to become friends with someone, it becomes more than just friends....

It depends on the environment you're in, and how social you are. If you're the type of bubbly person that interacts with everyone without a problem, you tend to have several friends, including some of the opposite gender.
Whereas if you're anti-social, you probably won't have a guy friend because you tend to think with a closed-mind... that you can't interact with a guy and get close because it means it will lead you to a relationship.

I can keep going on forever about this, and there's really no way you can justify whether men&women can be "just friends" because it depends how familiar they are with the opposite gender, whether or not they have self-control, how fast their hormones work, etc.

8) k, done with my formal nerdy talk ... we can all go back to living normal lives now, lool
  • le pauvre baron likes this
(`v)
. ..
Jollyme

kamylood

kamylood
  • Members
  • 471 posts

Current mood: Fine Contributor
salam...

I don't think so ..

they can be anything, co-workers, boss & employee, school colleagues, lovers, anything .. excepting real friends, they might have some kind of a very very limited friendship... but real friends.. I don't think so !

This is because, friendship is sharing, closeness, love, respect and honesty !
however closed a man and a woman they are, they can never talk to each other about their private life and their intimacy, unless if they were married.
and in the algerian society they can't even invite each other when they get married !!

I personally wouldn't call someone "a friend" if having me in his wedding is awkward !!

• Beebo, Fares and Snow White Queen like this

Hey !

Mimi Sweety

Mimi Sweety
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Current mood:
Well it is a very interesting question and this debate can go on forever!!

I think man and woman can be friends but under one condition: there should be no attraction!!

Generally when we get closer to someone, when we share the same beliefs, interests, tastes and so on we become emotionally attracted to them, therefore we can easily fall in love with them so it is very risky!!!

As human beings we all want to attract the opposite sex, we try to get the other person's attention, so we will try whether consciously or unconsciously to seduce them and we enter into an infinite spiral!!

• Beebo and kamylood like this
**Do your best & Accept the rest---Life is about taking chances **

kamylood

kamylood
  • Members
  • 471 posts

I think man and woman can be friends but under one condition: there should be no attraction!!

Well.. I think this condition doesn't exist, cuz there is always an attraction.
To avoid this attraction we should avoid the friendship concept in the 1st place, or we just admit the attraction and kick the friendship away !!!

Generally when we get closer to someone, when we share the same beliefs, interests, tastes and so on we become emotionally attracted to them, therefore we can easily fall in love with them

I think this is true,
we just need to handle it properly ...
  • Mimi Sweety likes this

Wahrania

Wahrania
  • Darja Gurus
  • 202 posts

Do you guys think it has a something to do with our culture/society and the way we were brought up?
Don't mean to generalize here but I find most Algerians (men and women) always have 'des arrières pensés' about anything and everything.
Would a friendship between a westerner and an Algerian per se be more feasible than a friendship between two Algerians of opposite sexe?

Beebo

Beebo
  • Admin
  • 6,655 posts

Current mood: Busy Contributor

I find most Algerians (men and women) always have 'des arrières pensés' about anything and everything.
Would a friendship between a westerner and an Algerian per se be more feasible than a friendship between two Algerians of opposite sexe?

Good point... well, maybe because with a westerner, you have in the back of your mind that this will never happen (at least this is how I personally see it, because i would not marry a non-algerian, let alone a westerner) soooo maybe what you're saying has some truth to it and could be a factor.

WgxUpZ6.png

Wahrania

Wahrania
  • Darja Gurus
  • 202 posts

maybe because with a westerner, you have in the back of your mind that this will never happen

Truuuue..
Never thought about it that way but what you're saying makes complete sense.

Beebo

Beebo
  • Admin
  • 6,655 posts

Current mood: Busy Contributor
OK EVERYONE.. THIS IS AN AWESOME VIDEO i ran into... and it's EPIC!!! and of course it relates to this topic

sorry but i can't stop laughing after watching this... watch till the end

ENJOY!!!

PS: I think we can pretty much close this topic now because there is no arguing the point after, they literally went around and asked so many people.. not just 2 or 3

• kamylood and Winter like this

Apocalypse

Apocalypse

revolution

• Darja Gurus
  • 1,698 posts

Current mood: Procrastinating
salam, wash rakom? been so long!

well I think wahraniya is just right, it's all in our minds you know. Why can't they be friends? I mean will you have a crush on each man you meet? or will each man you meet in your life have a crush on you? I have few male friends now, we're not close friends but friends enough to talk about different topics and hang out together with other friends on weekends, and I never thought that any of those male friends could be Mister Perfect, in fact, they're the only ones I can never imagine myself with, and I don't think they think so of me, it's just a friendship with no "arrieres pensees"! Because, like Beebo said, I'm sure I won't have any kind of thorough relationship with a westerner I forget that idea with Algerian or Arab friends as well. In my opinion it all has to do with the intention AND that male friend's way of thinking.

salam

Apocalypse

Apocalypse

revolution

• Darja Gurus
  • 1,698 posts

lol Beebs sorry I can late, I just read oyur last post, now that I said my word, ehem ehem :pimp: You can close the topic :D

Ps: I'll be watching the video this evening nchaAllah, now I'm supposed to be studying, za3ma! :yawn:

Apocalypse

Apocalypse

revolution

• Darja Gurus
  • 1,698 posts

Came not can, Beebs I keep trying to edit the previous response I keep getting the reason for edit bar but no text to edit! :disgust:

Wahrania

Wahrania
  • Darja Gurus
  • 202 posts

And as usual it's the men's fault :P
  • kamylood likes this

Winter

Winter
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Current mood:
Nice video Beebo,

My own opinion is that it depends on many factors (e.g., Society, Religion... etc)

I see that they can be a very good Acquaintances..

and the true friendship between woman and man is Marriage.
  • kamylood likes this

- Mohammed

- Mohammed
  • Members
  • 496 posts

Current mood:
I dont think that men and women can be just friends. Definitely not the same type of friendship that 2 members of the same gender would have. Women may think so, but thats because they don't and will never understand the nature of men. The women answering this question are looking at it from a totally female perspective, the men... are not. Its true and that's why our religion stipulates segregation.
  • Wahrania likes this
A day spent without learning is a day wasted

kamylood

kamylood
  • Members
  • 471 posts

And as usual it's the men's fault

lol

the true friendship between woman and man is Marriage.

Thank you .. you said it all !!

that "snack guy" at 02:19 of the video said an important fact .. THE PHYSICAL ATTRACTION
I don't know if women can get this point as much as men do

As Muslims (especially men) we are supposed to lower the gaze to avoid the physical attraction, because it's a fact that can ruin the friendship and make it a different thing.

• Winter likes this