• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Beebo

Beebo
  • Admin
  • 6,650 posts

Current mood: Busy Contributor

The Dog That Didn't Bark

Algeria looked ripe for revolution. What happened?
BY JAMES TRAUB | JANUARY 6, 2012

Posted Image

Read more: http://www.foreignpo...hat_didn_t_bark

This is a very interesting article to read. Most of the info is pretty much known to us Algerians, but it shows that there are people out there who follow what's been happening and kind of understand what Algeria is going through.

Do you guys agree with the author? Do Algerians fear what happened in the 90's will happen again?

• Wahrania, wise-man001 and •eve• like this

WgxUpZ6.png

Wahrania

Wahrania
  • Darja Gurus
  • 202 posts

Current mood: Spaced
I think we might have that fear, even if it is at a subconscious level.
The black decade really destabilized and shook up our society as a whole.
It's a sombre part of our history, many issues have been left unaddressed and many wounds unhealed.
So I'd say yes, Algerians do fear that history might repeat itself.

BylK

BylK
  • Members
  • 1,323 posts

Current mood:
I don't think it's related to the fear of the 90's. Life in Algeria has vastly improved in the last 5-10 years and all signs indicate that this trend will continue into the foreseeable future. Sure, problems still exist and the country is far from perfect, but I think the average Algerian is living much better today than he/she was in 1990, 1995 or even 2000. Also, factor in the fact that we don't have a dictatorship, we don't live in a police state, relatively speaking, and that we have the freedom to openly criticize the people in charge (again, relatively speaking) and you will realize that we are not in the same situation that Tunisia, Egypt, Libya or Syria were in. Therefore, we didn't need to react in the same manner that they did, even though some Algerians tried to do that.
  • Beebo and •eve• like this

•eve•

•eve•
  • Girls
  • 363 posts

Current mood: Goofy Contributor
salam

I really liked the article, I enjoyed it.

This is something I just recently realized, Algeria is really one of a kind, it's not like any other arab country.
We really do have freedom of speech, u always hear people in public transportation talking about the president, the government, the generals so openly n fearlessly, unlike many other arab countries like Syria for instance, I remember all my Syrian friends back in UAE didn't dare talk about politics n even my Syrian teachers! They all were like "sooreya el asad!" being so patriotic as if they actually meant it.

But we Algerians, don't hate Algeria, it's a kind of tough love lol, we know Algeria could be much better but not through a revolution, we already tried it n it didn't work.
I mean algerians are NOT mentally ready for rebuilding the country from scratch, Algeria is already in recovery, we just got economically stable n just started getting back on our feet, we might not have the strength to get back up if we fell again.
  • Beebo likes this
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: algeria, news, revolution