Change
Photo

Are things getting bad, or have we just got better communication?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

محمد - Mohammed

محمد - Mohammed
  • Members
  • 496 posts

Current mood:
With all of the new year celebrations and greetings I cant help but think how can we truly be happy in this day and age? There is suffering in every country without exception. From libya to new zealand, we've got dictatorships, racism, infighting, earthquakes, landslides, tsunamis and the serious day-to-day crime that occurs in every city (murders, theft, rape etc) and it appears to be getting worse.

Not a day goes by without hearing of some disaster or other. For example just a few days ago 70 iraqis were killed in an explosion due to the sectarial tensions, its become such a routine normal thing to hear of. There is also no doubt that the muslims are bearing the brunt of the ongoing catastrophes and problems these days. I mention this as it is something that the Prophet PBUH has talked of as we head ever closer to يوم القيامة

We always talk about the past, whatever country you are in, you will hear about how good things were in the past. The contentedness, the peace, the security. But is this simply due to the lack of communication which, in a way, isolated people from hearing of the disasters in other parts of the world. I know for sure if i didnt have the internet i would far less aware of the suffering in other places.

It made me wonder Is the state of the world (big generalisation, I know) getting worse? Or have these kind of things been going on for a long time, but we now have the means/technology to report and distribute it across the world, unlike before? Your Opinion?
A day spent without learning is a day wasted

BylK

BylK
  • Members
  • 1,323 posts

Current mood:
I don't think the state of the world is getting worse, I think it's the opposite, it's improved greatly. Like you mentioned, today's technology allows to really see and hear about everything. Instead of a tiny newspaper article about a bomb going in Syria, we now have people in Syria filming with their cell phones, uploading the videos to YouTube, Twitter, etc. and we also have hundreds of TV channels and thousands of websites that report this stuff within minutes of it happening. That's what I think anyway.

محمد - Mohammed

محمد - Mohammed
  • Members
  • 496 posts

Current mood:
Thats true, we have got better technology now which clearly allows us to better capture whats going on in other parts of the world. I dont agree the overall 'state' or , welfare of the humans in the world is getting better though. I guess my question assumed an either/or answer whereas really it can be both or neither too.

For all of the technological progress we have made it has done little in my opinion to reduce peoples suffering around the world. You can go to some parts of the world and find people fighting for a few crumbs. Wheres the improvement? In fact, you can get killed for an iphone nowadays, thats a very literal and direct example but it still makes the point. I guess I would be more specific and say morally things are getting worse.

•eve•

•eve•
  • Validating
  • 364 posts
Contributor
salam

I think definitely the generations before us were living at better times, I mean yeah a lot of the nasty crimes we are having right now already existed long time ago, but I don't think thats the real issue here.
In earlier times they had slavery, that was pretty bad n if u were a slave u would have no way out but to defy ur master n run away, n probably end up dead.
But what better times are we living in? when we all are by huge numbers n we can't defy the orders of some little worthless Israelis? when some countable zionists basically control the world n we just can't help it?

What difference did the development of technology n communication do? it only made things worse.
Before we didn't know such horrible things existed, such crimes were committed.. etc but now we know, but we do nothing to change it!
It only made us feel weak, cowardly, worse!

Posted Image

Beebo

Beebo
  • Admin
  • 6,655 posts

Current mood: Busy Contributor

For all of the technological progress we have made it has done little in my opinion to reduce peoples suffering around the world. You can go to some parts of the world and find people fighting for a few crumbs. Wheres the improvement? In fact, you can get killed for an iphone nowadays, thats a very literal and direct example but it still makes the point. I guess I would be more specific and say morally things are getting worse.

What difference did the development of technology n communication do? it only made things worse.
Before we didn't know such horrible things existed, such crimes were committed.. etc but now we know, but we do nothing to change it!
It only made us feel weak, cowardly, worse!

very good points indeed. You have to understand though that there are people out there who financially benefit from other people's sufferings. All the wars in Africa are mainly caused by the endless supply of weapons.

How is it possible that a country that has no resources and its people barely have anything to eat, yet has the ability to form a large group of well armed thugs to destroy and terrorize the civilians.

I completely agree with mohamed, it is a question of morals and ethics. All of the problems that the world is facing today is directly related to moral neglect of some kind. This neglect is obviously a result of greed and materialism. We see how oil, diamonds, and gold are directly associated with wars and poverty. That's because the pple who are after the "goods" want to keep the locals distract using fear and poverty so that they can get what they want.

I feel like i went off on a tangent again :( my bad lol

WgxUpZ6.png