writersfreedom

writersfreedom

The Beauty and The Prince

• Super Moderators
  • 5,369 posts

Current mood: Cheerful

:Bismillah1:

:salaam:

federal agents on Thursday arrested the leaders of and shut down Megaupload.com, a popular hub for illegal media downloads.
Hours later, Megaupload's fans turned the table on the feds. "Hacktivist" collective Anonymous said it set its sights on the U.S. Department of Justice and apparently knocked the agency's website offline.
"We are having website problems, but we're not sure what it's from," a DOJ spokeswoman told CNNMoney.
The DOJ website glitches came soon after various Twitter accounts associated with Anonymous took aim at the agency.
Anonymous's favorite weapon for these attacks is what's called a "distributed denial of service" (DDoS) attack, which directs a flood of traffic to a website and temporarily crashes it by overwhelming its servers. It doesn't actually involve any hacking or security breaches.
"One thing is certain: EXPECT US! #Megaupload" read one tweet from AnonOps that went out mid-afternoon.
One hour later, the same account tweeted a victory message: "Tango down! http://universalmusic.com & http://www.justice.gov// #Megaupload"
It was the largest attack ever by Anonymous, according to an Anonymous representative, with 5,635 people using a networking tool called a "low orbit ion cannon." A LOIC is software tool that aims a massive flood of traffic at a targeted site.
Universal Music's website also went down Thursday afternoon. The music company had been locked in a legal battle with Megaupload over a YouTube video that featured many of Universal Music's signed artists promoting Megaupload's site.
The websites of the Recording Industry Association of America and Motion Picture Association of America went down Thursday afternoon as well. On Twitter, AnonOps -- one of the main communications channels for the leaderless Anonymous collective -- took credit for the crashes.

I can't believe megaupload is down, what am I supposed to use to download movies now??? :mad2:

I just got a lifetime account, such bad timing! :(

And they actually dare to lecture the rest of the world about freedom pffff yakhi 7alla yakhi <_<

They should at least give people their money back!! :blowup:

Am just hoping it's all just a big mistake and everything will go back to normal .....
What can my enemies possibly do to me? My paradise is in my heart; wherever I go it goes with me, insepa­rable from me. For me, prison is a place of (religious) retreat; ex­ecution is my opportunity for martyrdom; and exile from my town is but a chance to travel ......

Posted Image

BylK

BylK
  • Members
  • 1,323 posts

Current mood:
I wish it's a big mistake but I highly doubt it. I also have (had?) an account with MegaUpload and now it's gone :(

However, I did find this message from one of the websites I download from :

"As many of you may already be aware, even without the passing of internet censorship bills SOPA and PIPA, the corrupt US Govt. has managed to shutdown Megaupload. It is our hope and our belief that this will not be permanent. As the 13th most visited website in the world, Megaupload has vast financial resources and top tier lawyers at their disposal. We expect their website to be back up soon. More details on this appalling act of corruption can be found here:

http://torrentfreak....ut-down-120119/"

That link is worth a read .. who knows, the site might be back up

Beebo

Beebo
  • Admin
  • 6,652 posts

Current mood: Busy Contributor
yea I was shocked when i heard the news. It's a pretty big move.. especially that it's a chinese (hong kong) based company... I don't think it would be easy to overturn the verdict.. we'll just have to wait and see

WgxUpZ6.png

BylK

BylK
  • Members
  • 1,323 posts

Current mood:
So many sites are shutting down, it's becoming impossible to find links for TV shows

The latest is FileSonic. They have a message on their site saying :

"All sharing functionality on FileSonic is now disabled. Our service can only be used to upload and retrieve files that you have uploaded personally"

:dontgetit:

Fares

Fares
  • Members
  • 296 posts

Current mood: Breezy
It was only a matter of time before the crackdown on 'illegal' or 'shared' material.

Fortunately, there is a limit to what they can do and how much of the internet they can shut down. Allahu A3lam.

Beebo

Beebo
  • Admin
  • 6,652 posts

"All sharing functionality on FileSonic is now disabled. Our service can only be used to upload and retrieve files that you have uploaded personally"

I know maan.. I just renewed my account with filesonic too... such a pain!!!

Look at what the co-founder owns.. insanity!!

BylK

BylK
  • Members
  • 1,323 posts

Current mood:
Yeah crazy stuff .. not surprising though given how big his website was

More importantly now, how do I go about downloading my shows ? Ever since they took down MegaUpload I've been lost .. I can't even bring myself to go through those crappy streaming websites with ads and pop-ups and all :disgust:

Fares

Fares
  • Members
  • 296 posts

Current mood: Breezy
Welcome to the world of torrents BylK smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> try thepiratebay or torrentz.eu?

BylK

BylK
  • Members
  • 1,323 posts

Current mood:
I was big on torrents years back but I just can't get myself to go back to it .. it's like I'm accepting defeat

Also, I think torrents are blocked at work, and I do all my downloading there

Thanks for the tip though
  • Beebo likes this

eve

eve
  • Validating
  • 364 posts
Contributor
salam

So there's this SOPA n PIPA but did u hear about the ACTA ?!

What is ACTA? ACTA is the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement. A new intellectual property enforcement treaty being negotiated by the United States, the European Community, Switzerland, and Japan, with Australia, the Republic of Korea, New Zealand, Mexico, Jordan, Morocco, Singapore, the United Arab Emirates, and Canada recently announcing that they will join in as well.

Why should you care about ACTA? Initial reports indicate that the treaty will have a very broad scope and will involve new tools targeting “Internet distribution and information technology.”

What is the goal of ACTA? Reportedly the goal is to create new legal standards of intellectual property enforcement, as well as increased international cooperation, an example of which would be an increase in information sharing between signatory countries’ law enforcement agencies.

:dontgetit:
Posted Image

Fatony

Fatony

A Legal Algerian

• Super Moderators
  • 6,558 posts

Current mood: Cheerful Contributor
Bylk, your work place is cool. They let you download moFies? after you download like 30 of them, call in Sick :D
There are people with experience and people with opinions. Listen to one, smile at the other.
Posted Image

BylK

BylK
  • Members
  • 1,323 posts

Current mood:

Bylk, your work place is cool. They let you download moFies? after you download like 30 of them, call in Sick :D

Before I started working there, I had never watched a series. When I started working there, I watched all of the following:

The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, The Shield, Weeds, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Office, Parks & Recreation, 30 Rock, Homeland, Boardwalk Empire, dirt on Wheels, etc. I'm sure there's lots of others that I've missed too .. not to mention all the movies :thumbup:

And we have our own internet, built by our company (one of the biggset in the world), so speeds are crazy
  • Beebo and eve like this

Fatony

Fatony

A Legal Algerian

• Super Moderators
  • 6,558 posts

Current mood: Cheerful Contributor
yeh Canadians wanted to bring their technology to the uae but of course they were denied that. They did not understand it is a monopoly game here! Competition is healthy.

Beebo

Beebo
  • Admin
  • 6,652 posts

That's insane bro lol