- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

- Mohammed

- Mohammed
  • Members
  • 496 posts

Current mood:

US company Terrafugia has put on display a prototype car that is licensed to fly as well as drive, at the New York International Auto Show.

Known as the Transition, the versatile vehicle has two seats, four wheels and retractable wings.

It is expected to be available next year, with a price tag in the region of $279,000 (£176,300).

The vehicle currently has an experimental certificate from the FAA, meaning the company has permission to fly it in US airspace for test purposes. The company hopes in time it will gain a light sport aircraft licence.

"You can pull up at a regular gas station to fill it up", says Dr Schwegart. A full tank holds 23 gallons (87 litres) of fuel.

It requires Premium 91-octane fuel, and does 35 miles to the gallon (6.7l/100km) on the road, and 28 mile (8.4l/100km) in the air.

With a range of 644 miles (1,035km) on a full tank, the vehicle could in theory make a non-domestic journey. For the time being, however, the vehicle is restricted by its licence to flying in the United States

----------
Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-17626818
----------

I always said when people talked about flying cars, that we already have them and they are called helicopters but these cars now truly are 'flying cars'. This is remarkable and who knows in 30-40 years time we could be looking back and thinking how old fashioned ground-only cars were.

It also means you could drive from the uk to algeria on just two tanks of fuel. It gives a whole new meaning to popping round to visit the family...
  • Beebo, wise-man001 and ℓυℓυ like this
A day spent without learning is a day wasted

ℓυℓυ

ℓυℓυ
  • Girls
  • 154 posts

Current mood: Sneaky
I can't wait to get mine :P (when and if i marry a millionaire)

It also means you could drive from the uk to algeria on just two tanks of fuel. It gives a whole new meaning to popping round to visit the family...

Nooooo, we'll have too much air traffic...
I personally wouldn't want to be in algeria other than the summer....

Questions: won't you need the help of a pilot?
Isn't it a bit "too" big for a car?

♡.♡.♡.♡.♡

- Mohammed

- Mohammed
  • Members
  • 496 posts

Current mood:
Take it from me, a flying car may be a bit too much to ask for from an Algerian. Some stil havent upgraded from their :donkey:

Yes you probably would need a pilot. I guess it would create a new proffession and help recruit retired commercial pilots. In the end though, as the technology develops it could become so automated and easier to control that they simply add the training for it into the driving lessons + test.

Again, the size of the car now looks quite big ... but it'll end up being refined as the tech improves most probably.

The air traffic would be a problem though. Unless everyones trip was pre planned so there were no mid air collisions.

I think they will end up expanding the flying cars into flying busses, essentially aeroplanes, except at a much lower cost. This means the millionaires could buy a few, a strip of land, and have their own airport! Stelios beware!
  • ℓυℓυ likes this

Beebo

Beebo
  • Admin
  • 6,652 posts

Current mood: Busy Contributor
this is pretty amazing actually. Like you said Mohammed, it's definitely a peek into the future of automobile.. the question is, would it die like many "inventions" like the betamax back in the early 90's and 3DTV nowadays? We'll just have to wait and see

WgxUpZ6.png