• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

BylK

BylK
  • Members
  • 1,323 posts

Current mood:
Posted Image

Euro 2012 kicked off yesterday in Poland with the home team tying 1-1 against Greece and Russia beating Czech Republic 4-1 .. but for most people, the tournament really starts today with two huge games in the group of death: Netherlands vs Denmark and Germany vs Portugal. If that was not enough, Spain take on Italy tomorrow and France faces England on Monday. Should be good!

For those in Canada, games are live on TSN and TSN2 (I think 1 or 2 games will be on CTV)

Beebo

Beebo
  • Admin
  • 6,650 posts

Current mood: Busy Contributor
I was very disappointed in the Netherlands and how they gave away that game to the Danes. Today's game between Italy and Spain has been the most entertaining so far... I really really hope the France vs. England game will be as good as the previous encounters between the two teams.

WgxUpZ6.png

BylK

BylK
  • Members
  • 1,323 posts

Current mood:
Yeah Italy-Spain was really good, crazy intensity, none of that hesitant defensive approach that we see in most World Cup/Euro games .. it was a battle all the way through

Spain desperately need a real striker up front, Fabregas can't really play that role. Torres had a couple of chances when he came in but something is wrong in his head, the old Torres would've buried those chances.

Omeymaa

Omeymaa

Have faith...

• Girls
  • 1,330 posts

Current mood: Creative
North Africa United vs England was a dull match...Was playing the game 'Spot the Algerian Flag' -found two!

Done is better than perfect.

BylK

BylK
  • Members
  • 1,323 posts

Current mood:
I thought it was a good game .. for France anyway

They dominated possession, linked up well with each other and constantly tried attacking. England on the other hand were just pathetic, 9 guys defending and when they do get the ball they lose it with 15 seconds.

Tomorrow's games will be good, especially the second one :

Denmark vs Portugal
Germany vs Netherlands

Beebo

Beebo
  • Admin
  • 6,650 posts

Well i'm a Netherlands fan and i'm very disappointed... that's all I have to say for now.

France on the other hand are playing some fabulous football.. Nasri, Benzema, Nemez and Ribery are becoming the equivalent of spain's Iniesta, Silva, Xavi and Fabregas... Maybe we'll see them face each other in the next round, although I rather see France vs. Italy and England crash out against Spain because they definitely don't deserve to win anything (their football is plain boring to watch)
  • wise-man001 likes this

wise-man001

wise-man001
  • Members
  • 461 posts

Current mood: Fine
The Dutch were disappointing indeed, it's such a waist for a team to have players like Van Persie, Schneider and Robben and yet not to perform well.

The best teams for now (with no surprise) are Spain, France and Germany (Though I don't find the playing of the last very entertaining)...I think at least one of three will make it to the final.
Be the change you want to see in the world.

Beebo

Beebo
  • Admin
  • 6,650 posts

Germany (Though I don't find the playing of the last very entertaining).

Completely agree with you.. every Germany game was soooo boring, their rhythm is just too slow for me

BylK

BylK
  • Members
  • 1,323 posts

Current mood:
Is it just me that thinks that the Dutch coach needs to drop Robben and Afellay ? I'd go nuts if I played with Robben, he never passes and the rare time he does the pass sucks cause his heart is not even in it .. and Afellay just isn't good enough (I'm guessing he's not back in form having been injured for so long)
  • Beebo likes this

BylK

BylK
  • Members
  • 1,323 posts

Current mood:
The group stage finished today with England and France qualifying from Group D. France made it despite losing 2-0 to Sweden, who were already eliminated, but Ukraine couldn't get any points off England, who won 1-0.

Remaining match-ups in the competition:

Posted Image

Spain vs France will be the game to watch in the quarter-finals and I wouldn't be surprised to see France create the upset.

Beebo

Beebo
  • Admin
  • 6,650 posts

Germany as always got luck on their side....

France vs. Spain is def gonna be an awesome game as long as he sticks to the team that played against Ukraine and not make up some random line-up like he did today against Sweden..

England vs. Italy... both teams have yet to impress me.. they both have the same style of play.. I rather Italy go through though...

BylK

BylK
  • Members
  • 1,323 posts

Current mood:
Portugal 1-0 Czech Republic

Cristiano Ronaldo with the only goal of the game to lead Portugal to its 3rd semi-final in the last 4 euros .. Ronaldo now has 3 goals in the competition to join the top of the goalscorers list with Gomez, Mandzukic and Dzagoev

Beebo

Beebo
  • Admin
  • 6,650 posts

Spain vs. France and then England vs. Italy.... Now those are true European quarter finals.. I just hope they live up to the occasion!

γΝγΟ - Mohammed

γΝγΟ - Mohammed
  • Members
  • 496 posts

Current mood:
France france france, everytime i see them play i remember the 'Zidane vs Brazil' match back in '06. As they say, he was the man who taught the brazillians how to play brazillian football.

I think the Germans are the most dominant team right now and are going to take the euros by force.
A day spent without learning is a day wasted

γΝγΟ - Mohammed

γΝγΟ - Mohammed
  • Members
  • 496 posts

Current mood:
England go out on penalities .. man, you couldn't make this stuff up. Just waiting for thursday now, when the germans massacre those italian girly men!

disclaimer: no offence intended to the general Italian population

Beebo

Beebo
  • Admin
  • 6,650 posts

England go out on penalities .. man, you couldn't make this stuff up. Just waiting for thursday now, when the germans massacre those italian girly men!

disclaimer: no offence intended to the general Italian population

girly?? you serious?? the girly men in this entire tournament are Spain and Portugal all of whom fall and cry like babies every time they get touched. Germans are gonna win, but only because of their tactics not skills (reason why all their games have always been boring)

γΝγΟ - Mohammed

γΝγΟ - Mohammed
  • Members
  • 496 posts

Current mood:
Youre right beebo, we need a term for the spanish and potugese which is even more feminine! the girly girls..? Thats poor, i know...

In all serious I have found spains style of play a bit boring to watch. Their forward and backward passing is good but has now become boring and unexciting. I think the germans are tactical and skillful and quite exciting to watch too.
  • Beebo likes this

writersfreedom

writersfreedom

The Beauty and The Prince

• Super Moderators
  • 5,369 posts

Current mood: Cheerful
:salaam:

Just wanted to say, I hope Germany will win this year!

~~~ peace out ~~~
What can my enemies possibly do to me? My paradise is in my heart; wherever I go it goes with me, insepa­rable from me. For me, prison is a place of (religious) retreat; ex­ecution is my opportunity for martyrdom; and exile from my town is but a chance to travel ......

Posted Image

wise-man001

wise-man001
  • Members
  • 461 posts

Current mood: Fine
Now with the best teams left in the competition I hope will enjoy some great games.

France didn't live up to the expectations against Spain and didn't deserve to win, a lot of the players didn't seem to be concerned by the outcome of the game and didn't show enthusiasm and implication, and the rule is if you want to win, you have to believe in your chances and put all your efforts.

As for Italy vs England, even though England players were courageous and implicated in the game, Italians were far more enterprising and pushing, and the outcome was just fair.
  • Beebo likes this

BylK

BylK
  • Members
  • 1,323 posts

Current mood:
The France coach lost the game against Spain. His line-up and tactics were way too defensive, he basically played into the hands of the Spanish who love to keep possession and in essence defend by not giving the ball away. Instead of playing 3 attacking midfielders (Ribery-Nasri-Menez) like he did in previous games, he went super defensive with Debuchy, a RB playing as RM, and starting an ineffective Malouda, who has been terrible all tournament long. Ribery and Benzema were way too isolated to be a threat. France woke up in the second but it was too little too late. Spain was the much better team and deserved to advance but I think France could have put up more of a challenge with the right line-up and mentality.

As for England, they will always play with heart but their lack of talent and especially lack of creativity was really exposed by the Italian. Pirlo, despite being one of the oldest players on the field, put on a passing clinic and controlled the game beautifully from the middle of the park. England needs someone to do that, not necessarily a playmaker but someone to control the tempo of the game. Instead, they get the ball forward and either kick it up to one of the strikers and sprint with it full speed.

The semi-finals should be really good, especially Germany vs Italy. Not surprisingly, Spain and Germany are huge favourites to advance to the final according to the bookies, with Germany just ahead of Spain to win the title.