Change
Photo

Algeria's first medal at the 2012 Summer Olympics - Algerian Taoufik Makhloufi completed a remarkable 24 hours when he won the men's Olympi

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

writersfreedom

writersfreedom

The Beauty and The Prince

• Super Moderators
  • 5,369 posts

Current mood: Cheerful

:Bismillah1:

:salaam:

Algerian Taoufik Makhloufi completed a remarkable 24 hours when he won the men's Olympic 1500 metres title after initially being thrown out of the event.

The 24-year-old was reinstated in the final, just hours after being disqualified for not trying in his 800m heat.
Makhloufi took full advantage, streaking away from the 1500m field on the last lap to win clearly in three minutes, 34.08 seconds.

"I'm very, very happy with to win," said Makhloufi, with his left knee strapped following what he said had been a ligament injury.

"It's not easy to win with big athletes in athletics, Kiprop and Kenyan athletes.
"It's not easy."

Makhloufi said he had not felt any pressure during Monday's deliberations over his fate following the 800m heat.
"It was normal.
I wasn't worried about anything. I continued my recovery with massage," he said.
A fast-finishing Leonel Manzano of the United States took silver in 3:34.79, with Morocco's Abdalaati Iguider (3:35.13) claiming the bronze medal.

Reigning world and Olympic champion Asbel Kiprop of Kenya brought up the rear of the field, while New Zealand's silver medallist from Beijing, Nick Willis, came home in ninth position.

Makhloufi had stormed past Kiprop in a stunning finish to win his semi-final in 3:42.24, marking him out as a possible title contender.

Posted Image

He was initially disqualified from the event after stopping at the end of the back straight during his 800m heat and wandering across the infield past the pole vault area.

The International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) referee subsequently banned him from the rest of the athletics program for not providing "a bona fide effort".

The Algeria team, upset that the IAAF had not spoken to Makhloufi, said the athlete had a knee injury.
The decision to ban him was then reversed on medical grounds.

Source : ABC

~~~ Peace out ~~~

• kim and •eve• like this
What can my enemies possibly do to me? My paradise is in my heart; wherever I go it goes with me, insepa­rable from me. For me, prison is a place of (religious) retreat; ex­ecution is my opportunity for martyrdom; and exile from my town is but a chance to travel ......

Posted Image

BylK

BylK
  • Members
  • 1,323 posts

Current mood:
Taoufik Makhloufi won Algeria's first medal at the 2012 Summer Olympics after finishing first in the mens 1,500 metre race. He becomes the second Algerian to win the gold in the competition after Morceli won it back in 1996 in Atlanta.

Makhloufi almost didn't get a chance to compete in the final. Yesterday, he ran the 800m race but pulled out after just 100m because of a knee injury. The Olympic commitee decided to ban him claming he didn't try but he was reinstated after a doctor confirmed his injury. (See here for article: http://www.nytimes.c...t-olympics.html)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Video: https://www.facebook...150998161198100
  • writersfreedom, kim and •eve• like this

BylK

BylK
  • Members
  • 1,323 posts

Current mood:
Makhloufi interviewed by Al Jazeera after his win:

[/url]
  • writersfreedom, kim and •eve• like this

writersfreedom

writersfreedom

• Super Moderators
  • 5,369 posts

http://youtu.be/EltPdnjI_hA

~~~ Peace out ~~~

• BylK, kim and •eve• like this

kim

kim
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Current mood: Thinking
FINALLY WE WON A MEDAL A GOLD MEDAL,I was very jealous seeing michael phelps winning a medal after another and we dont have even a half medal, I was anxiously waiting for this moment,I m so happy,thank you so much weld bladi ,you deserve it Toufik makhloufi you are a champion. :alg: :firework: http://www.london201...aoufik-1076422/
  • BylK, writersfreedom and •eve• like this

writersfreedom

writersfreedom

• Super Moderators
  • 5,369 posts

http://youtu.be/ijLMPfGRnbM

~~~ Peace out ~~~

• BylK, kim and •eve• like this

BylK

BylK
  • Members
  • 1,323 posts

Current mood:
Can we please change the title of the topic ? We should be celebrating Makhloufi's win as Algeria's first gold medal not the Arab world's first gold medal ;)

writersfreedom

writersfreedom

• Super Moderators
  • 5,369 posts

Okay, since you are the co-writer of this topic I will change the title as you requested.

But he said himself that its for both the Arab and Muslim world. Anyways, we are all so happy about it and really proud of him!

~~~ Peace out ~~~

BylK

BylK
  • Members
  • 1,323 posts

Current mood:
Thanks buddy :D

Seriously though, he is representing Algeria not the Arab world .. he can say its for both the Arab and Muslim world but doesn't change the fact that it's a medal for Algeria

Fatony

Fatony

A Legal Algerian

• Super Moderators
  • 6,558 posts

Current mood: Cheerful Contributor
To be honest, both him and the Tunisian Memllouli did us proud. It wouldn't have hurt if he tried to win the 800m but I ain't an athlete and I wouldn't know how it would impact his stamina.

Anyways, Mabrouk to Algeria and to the Ummah.
There are people with experience and people with opinions. Listen to one, smile at the other.
Posted Image

BylK

BylK
  • Members
  • 1,323 posts

Current mood:
He didn't run the 800m because his personal best at the 800m wouldn't have won him a medal, the level is too high for him. That's why he signed up for both and figured if I do well at 1500m I'll just keep going.