* * * * * 2 votes

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

BylK

BylK
  • Members
  • 1,323 posts

Current mood:

As many of you know, Wikipedia has become one of the most important sources of information on the internet. Wikipedia will probably be the first result of any topic you search and as such it is a very important tool, especially the English version of the website. However, with most Algerians speaking Arabic and French there's not a lot of information on Algeria and its history on there. I feel that the E-DZ community can play a huge role in improving Algerian content on Wikipedia and documenting our history and culture.

For example, today APS released an article about the bombing of a Tunisian village in 1958 that was used as headquarters for Algerian revolutionaries during the Algerian War of Independance, as well as many refugees who were fleeing colonial rule:

http://www.aps.dz/Le...rtriers-de.html

100 innocent civilians were killed .. but of course there's no trace of it on Wikipedia.

It wouldn't take long to write up articles, at most 5-10 minutes and if each member here did just a small bit we can vastly improve Algerian topics. The information is out there, it's just a matter of translating it and posting it (with references).

Personally, I do a lot of work on Wikipedia, mainly dealing with football but I try to improve articles on Algeria when I can, and more importantly, I try to remove any bias from "certain" people who attempt to distort the truth.

If you guys have any questions on how to get started I'm more than willing to help.

• Beebo, Apocalypse, Lilia and 2 others like this

fred2265

fred2265
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Current mood:

This is a very good idea, there are many areas on Wikipedia that are not thoroughly represented..jpg

Apocalypse

Apocalypse

revolution

• Darja Gurus
  • 1,696 posts

Current mood: Procrastinating

Very interesting idea indeed, it is true that many things should be recoreded on Wikipedia as they are fading in Algeria and we won't find them in few years, as new generations know nothing about htem. Some people/labels/films are cultural icons for our generation, The 1990s were literally a special period, not only because of lack of security but because of how people coped with it and made a way of life out of it and kept the same lifestyle even after 2000 adding to it internet

Lilia

Lilia

Lilia

• Super Moderators
  • 1,503 posts

Current mood: Cloud 9 Contributor

salam

That's a great idea. 

Posted Image

Omeymaa

Omeymaa

Have faith...

• Girls
  • 1,330 posts

Current mood: Creative

salam

I really like that idea, at least we leave our mark on this world. Quick idea: you can divide member as to who does what. For example: Writing, translating and proof-reading etc.

Done is better than perfect.

Beebo

Beebo
  • Admin
  • 6,650 posts

Current mood: Busy Contributor

Agreed! This is a great idea, definitely worth doing. I always try to edit articles when I look-up an article through Wikipedia, but never actually sat down and dedicated the time to edit specific articles.  :think:

WgxUpZ6.png

BylK

BylK
  • Members
  • 1,323 posts

Current mood:
salam

I really like that idea, at least we leave our mark on this world. Quick idea: you can divide member as to who does what. For example: Writing, translating and proof-reading etc.

There's so much that can be written that it's actually easier to just go and do it then to organize and divide up the work. We all have different interests: history, language, movies, music, literature, sports, etc. Everyone can just focus on what they're into.

Another example of an article to write .. for anyone into film, filmmaker Abderrahmane Bouguermouh passed away earlier this week 

http://www.tsa-alger...plus_23663.html

He made the first movie in Kabyle and also made the movie "Kahla ou Beida" about ES Setif

I have never heard of this person and if it wasn't for his death and the article I'd probably never know of his existence, which is why it's so important to document his life and his accomplishments.